MD & DO Chances for Medical schools in the Midwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sscmn20115

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could get some advice on my current situation. I'm a senior biology major at my college, and I have just gotten back my MCAT scores. I scored 8 on the VR, 9 on physical sciences, and 11 on the biological sciences. I'm actually quite relieved about these scores, I thought I did much worse. My cumulative GPA is 3.2, which I know isn't stellar, but it has shown an upward trend since my freshman year. I was a physics major back then (non-premed). I decided to go premed after taking a general biology class my second semester, and I just absolutely loved the subject. Ecology, physiology, botany, molecular, genetics, I loved it all. My current science GPA is 3.15, but both my cumulative and science GPA after my freshman year are about 3.4-3.5 (I understand that isn't something lots of people look at, but I'm proud of it). I am taking a year off, where I will do Americorps volunteer programs and intern in a hospital while I get as much backcountry skiing in as possible during my free time (I love that as well). I know my scores aren't stellar by any stretch, but I've been involved in many extracurriculars. I've done research with my molecular bio professor, I've volunteered at hospitals, nursing homes, and around the community for years. I've also done medical internships abroad in Spain and studied abroad in Ecuador, and I have also trained with paramedics and worked in a research lab in the mines near my hometown. I still volunteer by tutoring 5th graders and acting as a "Big Brother" for a couple of community children. We play games and hang out every month, great stuff. I am also a two sport athlete. I played rugby and run track, where I am currently the captain of my collegiate track team, and I've been able to attain All-Conference honors in my athletic conference. As for letters of recommendation, I'm fairly confident I can receive some good ones, as some professors and coaches have already offered to write some for me, without me even asking them. I consider myself fairly well-rounded, and I would like to apply to the University of Minnesota and the University of Iowa. Please be honest with me, I love criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have the MSAR? If not get it! It will help clear your focus. Your stats are very low for MD school. Where do you live? Is your state school sort of forgiving of low stats for residents? Where else are you applying? You stand a much better chance at DO schools.

You may have a small chance at your state MD schools but your GPA with a MCAT of 28 is not competitive for MD schools. Apply broadly to DO schools in June and submit your secondaries by July. Apply to at least 12 DO schools and you should receive several interviews.