Chances for mid tier schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schwartzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 3.65 GPA at UCLA as a Physiology major and a 3.5 science GPA.
I just got my MCAT scores back and am disappointed with 11-8-11 (30).
I am doing clinic work at a free clinic for 1 year, research in an HIV lab for 2 years, tutoring at my high school for 2 years, and coach an academic decathlon team for 3 years. I also play piano and softball, captain of an intramural team.
What are my chances of getting into the UC's? as well as some middle tier med schools?
I plan to have good LOR and personal statement.
Will a well crafted personal statement make up for the low verbal score, which was a fluke because I was tired and had just donated blood stem cells a week before.
Would it be bad to use the donation as an excuse?
I know if I get an interview, I will do well, but would they consider an interview?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is too low for the UCs. Aim for low tiers and new programs, and any DO program.

No PS in the world makes up for poor numbers

Will a well crafted personal statement make up for the low verbal score, which was a fluke because I was tired and had just donated blood stem cells a week before.

Bad and lame. A week is plenty of time to recover from a stem cell donation.

I currently have a 3.65 GPA at UCLA as a Physiology major and a 3.5 science GPA.
I am doing clinic work at a free clinic for 1 year, research in an HIV lab for 2 years, tutoring at my high school for 2 years, and coach an academic decathlon team for 3 years. I also play piano and softball, captain of an intramural team.
What are my chances of getting into the UC's? as well as some middle tier med schools?
I know if I get an interview, I will do well, but would they consider an interview?

Thanks

Last edited:

Thanks
Wouldn't be surprised if you get rejected solely on blaming your mcat on blood donation and the attitude of calling it a fluke.