Chances for MS3 newly interested in the field / research concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AOK123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just completed my MS3 ENT rotation and ended up loving it, but not sure how competitive I am relative to other applicants. My biggest concern is lack of ENT-specific research, although I have a lot of Ophtho research (which I was originally interested in).

Step 1: 258
M1/M2 grades: all honors
MS3 grades: H in internal med, HP in fam med, psych, and neuro so far. Will work hard for an H in gen surg
Class rank: top 25%
AOA: just applied for junior aoa, waiting to hear back
Research: 1 first author ophtho pub, 2 ophtho manuscripts currently submitted, 2 ophtho poster presentations, 2 poster presentations in undergrad. NO ENT RESEARCH but will be getting started on an ENT project soon in my dept.
Volunteer: co-chair of organization that serves economically disadvantaged teens, lots of volunteer hours at free clinics
Hobbies: was a member of traditional asian dance team which competed nationally.

Can anyone comment on my chances going forward, and specifically how lack of ENT-specific research will hurt me?

Thanks!

Is it an option for you to take a year off for research?

I REALLY do not want to take a year off lol

Members don't see this ad :)
You need a year teaching English in sub Saharan Africa to complete your application. Otherwise I wouldn't waste my time applying. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Just completed my MS3 ENT rotation and ended up loving it, but not sure how competitive I am relative to other applicants. My biggest concern is lack of ENT-specific research, although I have a lot of Ophtho research (which I was originally interested in).

Step 1: 258
M1/M2 grades: all honors
MS3 grades: H in internal med, HP in fam med, psych, and neuro so far. Will work hard for an H in gen surg
Class rank: top 25%
AOA: just applied for junior aoa, waiting to hear back
Research: 1 first author ophtho pub, 2 ophtho manuscripts currently submitted, 2 ophtho poster presentations, 2 poster presentations in undergrad. NO ENT RESEARCH but will be getting started on an ENT project soon in my dept.
Volunteer: co-chair of organization that serves economically disadvantaged teens, lots of volunteer hours at free clinics
Hobbies: was a member of traditional asian dance team which competed nationally.

Can anyone comment on my chances going forward, and specifically how lack of ENT-specific research will hurt me?

Thanks!

Looks good. I don't think you need a year for research. Just form some good connections with your home department, have some people that will write good letters. Impress on both your home rotation and aways.

I'm in a similar boat. I'll have a bunch of pubs when I apply for residency but they're not directly related to ENT (fungal pathogens and tumor immunology). From what I've heard from my institution, this should not be a problem.