Chances for MSTP this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youououa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit worried about a confluence of events this cycle:

My stats:

24 year-old URM
36 MCAT
3.8 sGPA
500 hrs of volunteering overall
Lots of research time, some conferences but no papers.
AMCAS submitted last week of July

I've had some financial mishaps and don't think I could apply to more than 10 MD/PhD programs - given that I'd like to do genomics for a PhD, the places I'd really like to do research are mostly Top 25 med schools.

Given these events, what chance do I have of getting into top programs? Would applying early next year be a wise idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want the best chance, apply early next year. Submitting your AMCAS at the end of September would put you at verified in mid to late October, so earliest you would be complete is October. For schools that stop interviewing early, like in December, you're most likely not going to get an interview.

Do you have an opportunity to get published this year? That's always a good addition to an MSTP application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, it's my first post, didn't know about the WAMC forum.

I made a typo; I submitted my AMCAS in July.

I might be able to get a publication this year, it depends on some political things.

I'm a black child of African parents (I was born in the States). I lived in a few rough areas growing up but things got better over time.

I think the largest negative impact I encountered was having a poorly-funded high school.

I'm a black child of African parents (I was born in the States). I lived in a few rough areas growing up but things got better over time.

I think the largest negative impact I encountered was having a poorly-funded high school.
Where did you apply?

Where did you apply?

I haven't finalized my list yet (I've only submitted my primary to a few schools so far) but I think these are the schools I'd want to go to, very roughly in order of interest. I'm most interested in schools where I could study genomics in the context of neural development.

Columbia
Perelman
UCSD
UCSF
Cornell/Tri-Institutional MD-PhD
Johns Hopkins
Stanford
Washington University in St. Louis
Harvard
University of Washington
Yale
Albert Einstein
University of Michigan
Duke
NYU
Pritzker
UT Southwestern

Thanks for your response - what do you think of the list?