MD & DO Chances for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roger Spumoni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing that I just got my MCAT back I wanted to see where I stand and if it is worth retaking or not in January.

When I apply I will have the following:
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 26 (8/8/10)

ECs: basic hospital volunteering, shadowing, tutor, some research, TA (teaching assistant)

I'm going for the old more established DO schools (PCOM as top choice) and thinking of applying to Quinnipiac and UCONN since I'm a CT resident. Don't think any other MD schools are worth it right?

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT score is lethal for MD schools, but OK if you apply broadly to DO schools. Skip CCOM, AZCOM, Western, KCUMB and the NY and CA Touros.

Thanks Goro. I'll apply to only DO schools then as I thought. Would the DO schools you mentioned auto-screen me because of my MCAT? I was actually hopping to apply to the NY Touro since its around my area. Is there any chances they will even look at me seeing as I have a higher than average GPA for DO matriculants or is it a no go for sure because of the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT score is lethal for MD schools, but OK if you apply broadly to DO schools. Skip CCOM, AZCOM, Western, KCUMB and the NY and CA Touros.
I'm curious as to why you say skip KCUMB. I get the others, but KCUMB seemed to be rather forgiving of lower MCATs, especially with that gpa as long as all minimums were met

I suspect that because your MCAT is well below their median, that they will not consider you, or worse, give you an II, and then wait list you.

I suggested skipping KCUMB from communications with other SDNers who had poor luck with them and who had similar scores.

Thanks Goro. I'll apply to only DO schools then as I thought. Would the DO schools you mentioned auto-screen me because of my MCAT? I was actually hopping to apply to the NY Touro since its around my area. Is there any chances they will even look at me seeing as I have a higher than average GPA for DO matriculants or is it a no go for sure because of the MCAT?

Goro is definitely correct, although I would still apply to the NY Touro if you have a story that meets their mission. What's one more application fee?