Chances for NJ Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaithfulDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted some feedback on my status so far for osteopathic school. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.47
sGPA: 3.21
MCAT: 22, 9V 6P 7B

ECs:
-Shadowed DO for ~300 hours (gained a great deal of patient interaction)
-Medical study abroad for 2 weeks in 3rd world country
-Work as a laboratory assistant for 2 years in my university
-Volunteered in hospital and medical office, total ~ 150 hours
-Have been working on undergrad research for 2 years, possible publication as first author
-Volunteered for a high school program for 2 years
-Became a paid counselor for high school program

I know my MCAT is really really low, even probably for Caribbean standards. I am planning to retake in June. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

maybe a chance at schools like WCU, LMU, KYCOM, VCOM, CUSOM, MUCOM, ACOM, PNWU, PCOM Ga, and WVSOM...if u can get the MCAT up to even a 23 and apply early and broadly I think you should be fine. 22 is not the best, but it is NOT lethal like most people say.

maybe a chance at schools like WCU, LMU, KYCOM, VCOM, CUSOM, MUCOM, ACOM, PNWU, PCOM Ga, and WVSOM...if u can get the MCAT up to even a 23 and apply early and broadly I think you should be fine. 22 is not the best, but it is NOT lethal like most people say.

I think 22 is lethal. OP should retake the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Must retake MCAT, your GPAs are low. 25+ should give you a shot at new, low-tier schools. Aim for a 28+ and you'll have a much better cycle.

Just got my MCAT scores in: PS/VR/BS - 8/10/8 for a total score of 26. Should I retake again?

I will go ahead and apply to 11 schools (listed below for anyone who has any suggestions or recommended changes).

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

consider adding VCOM's, WVSOM, and/or LMU.

Just got my MCAT scores in: PS/VR/BS - 8/10/8 for a total score of 26. Should I retake again?

I will go ahead and apply to 11 schools (listed below for anyone who has any suggestions or recommended changes).

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
You should be fine with a 26, but I doubt DMU or Western (Oregon = ok) would happen.

Yes sorry I'm applying to Western in Oregon. I also added Touro in Nevada. Anyone know how to apply to the new one in Middletown, NY?

Good Luck FaithfulDO! Also a NJ resident here :3

Most of what I would suggest has already been said. So just get out there and do it! Wooo!

Thanks!

I just submitted everything. Crossing fingers!

Anyone know how long the verification for AACOMAS is taking? I'm still at "Processing" =\.

Anyone know how long the verification for AACOMAS is taking? I'm still at "Processing" =\.

I would check the verification thread on the DO forums. That should give you an indication of where the verification process is if people are keeping it updated. It can be quite the wait unfortunately. A good chance to start pre-writing those secondaries though!! :D

Keep in there!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been almost 4 weeks since I've submitted. Hopefully not much longer.

Does anyone have an idea of my chances with LECOM-E/SH?

Also, I realized I did not update my GPAs after spring '13 semester ended: cGPA: 3.47, sGPA: 3.37.

I had a horrible semester getting multiple C's. However for my last two semesters I have received almost all A's (B+ in a psych course) in courses such as Biochem 1 w/lab and 2, Microbio w/lab, and Molecular Bio w/lab.

Last edited:
check european med schools.. don't do Caribbean! they literally will suck your money down the drain... European schools are cheaper and at a MUCH higher academic level... Caribbean schools have a horrible reputation of preparing students for med school.. and i dont think you have to take the mcats for European schools just an entrance exam..

check european med schools.. don't do Caribbean! they literally will suck your money down the drain... European schools are cheaper and at a MUCH higher academic level... Caribbean schools have a horrible reputation of preparing students for med school.. and i dont think you have to take the mcats for European schools just an entrance exam..
I'm not going the Caribbean route, I have applied to a bunch of DO schools.

A friend of mine submitted his application a few days before mine and was verified this week. I should hopefully be verified by next week. Should I add the VCOMs and WVSOM?

Also, can anyone give me any input on what schools I have the best shot at from my list?

Thanks!

best chances at bolded

I'm not going the Caribbean route, I have applied to a bunch of DO schools.

A friend of mine submitted his application a few days before mine and was verified this week. I should hopefully be verified by next week. Should I add the VCOMs and WVSOM?

Also, can anyone give me any input on what schools I have the best shot at from my list?

Thanks!

better safe than sorry.

I just got my application verified today. Finally!

I also applied to a few more schools, posted for anyone who's interested.

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus, SC
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine -Virginia Campus, VA
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ SOM), NJ
Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, NY
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Lebanon, OR

Hopefully a successful cycle is in my future with these schools!

Just had a quick question: Do I need to get a recommendation from every DO that I shadowed?

I shadowed a pediatrician and a general surgeon (both DOs); however I feel like the pediatrician did not get to know me well enough to produce a strong LOR.

I do have a great LOR from the surgeon ready to go.

Just had a quick question: Do I need to get a recommendation from every DO that I shadowed?

I shadowed a pediatrician and a general surgeon (both DOs); however I feel like the pediatrician did not get to know me well enough to produce a strong LOR.

I do have a great LOR from the surgeon ready to go.
Only 1 is fine. Just out of curiosity, when did you submit your application?

Only 1 is fine. Just out of curiosity, when did you submit your application?
I submitted the primary on 08/07/2013, was verified 09/15/2013 and released 09/20/2013.

Secondaries started coming in since last week.

Hey everyone, just for anyone who is interested I providing updates on my application cycle. All my apps are in and have been for a couple months. I have been rejected pre-interview from DMU-COM, RVUCOM, and LECOM-FL. I have received interview invites for WVSOM, MU-COM, and TUNCOM so far. They will be taking place sometime in next month.

I know the more interviews the better and chances now are dependent on how I perform on the actual interviews, but statistically, how many interviews until I have a good chance of acceptance?

Also, since November I have started a full-time position at a well-known chemical company. Does this help my chances or does it not matter?

Thank you all for viewing and responding!

Hopefully I'm not getting annoying with my posts.

I got accepted to WVSOM! This is where I will be attending unless my state school offers me a seat (highly unlikely).

There is hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

The MCAT is not really competitive for DO programs (you'd be rejected from mine). It's fine for Carib diploma mills, but then again, as long as you're breathing, you're competitive there. You can do better.

If you have any F/D/C science coursework, sugegst retaking for higher grade.

I'm new to this forum and just wanted some feedback on my status so far for osteopathic school. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.47
sGPA: 3.21
MCAT: 22, 9V 6P 7B

ECs:
-Shadowed DO for ~300 hours (gained a great deal of patient interaction)
-Medical study abroad for 2 weeks in 3rd world country
-Work as a laboratory assistant for 2 years in my university
-Volunteered in hospital and medical office, total ~ 150 hours
-Have been working on undergrad research for 2 years, possible publication as first author
-Volunteered for a high school program for 2 years
-Became a paid counselor for high school program

I know my MCAT is really really low, even probably for Caribbean standards. I am planning to retake in June. Thanks!

Hopefully I'm not getting annoying with my posts.

I got accepted to WVSOM! This is where I will be attending unless my state school offers me a seat (highly unlikely).

There is hope!
congrats...did you get any other interviews besides WVSOM, Marian, and TUNCOM?

No other interviews besides those. I was hoping for Rowan but oh well... Excited to get in anywhere though!