Chances for osteopathic school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aaron S.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!

3.2c / 3.4ish sci / 27 mcat / 497 mcat

-Upward trend (4.0) last 40 credits hours of upper level sciences in biology/chemistry
- 1000's of hours of research in pharmokinetics and diabetes. I've presented my research at a national conference and at carver school of medicine. Two manuscripts waiting approval.
- 70 hours shadowing M.D
-50ish hours volenteering at local hospital. I round new admitted patients and help them access medical information / navigate technology in the hospital.
- sport skydiver and rescue scuba diver
- received summer grant for research
- strong M.D and prof lors
- scared ****less :(

I could go on and on about the little details on my application. What I mentioned above is the bread and butter, most of the small details are related to the topics listed above.

I am retaking the mcat June 18th, I am confident that my score will drastically improve. I have completely changed my study habits. Based on EK I'm in the 512-515 range.

Members don't see this ad.

Ouch why did you retake that MCAT if you're going for DO. ;(

A 497 is around a 24 right?

I recommend

WCUCOM
VCOM (All 3)
WVCOM
ACOM
BCOM
CUCOM

I took the new mcat with the intention of voiding to get a feel for the new style. I had a moment of overconfidence and decided to score it...

Members don't see this ad :)
You need a MCAT score of greater than 500 to have a realistic chance for a DO acceptance. Let us know on this thread in July when you have your new score.

You need a MCAT score of greater than 500 to have a realistic chance for a DO acceptance. Let us know on this thread in July when you have your new score.
I know quite a few MD schools this cycle who accepted quite a few of my friends with scores under 500. It's not just about the score. With his stats, I think he has a fair shot at DO schools certainly.

Hopefully you score your target on the MCAT. But stat wise right now, you definitely got a good shot at DO schools. The MCAT score above 500 will just solidify it. Do your research on osteopathic principles and try to shadow or at least ask a DO some questions so that you can get a better feel. Think about applying to

WVSOM (I just got accepted here with similar stats to yours)
Campell
VCOM
ACOM
BCOM
LUCOM (if you're ok with the Christian stuff)

Thank you for the feedback! I made a huge mistake having the new mcat scored. It is a lesson that I will never forget. For the first mcat I had only 3 weeks to study and I pulled a 27 (7/11/9) w/0 a physics and a few other classes that would have helped round out my background knowledge. For this mcat I have been studying for the last four months and have rounded out my core classes that would contribute to success on the mcat.

Just a quick update, I am one week out from the mcat and scored 512 on the aamc fl under test conditions.

I am gunning for CCOM because it is my local D.O school and I plan on practicing in the northern Illinois region. Do you guys think that scoring in the 510-515 range on the real mcat will make up for my sub par cgpa?

I am gunning for CCOM because it is my local D.O school and I plan on practicing in the northern Illinois region. Do you guys think that scoring in the 510-515 range on the real mcat will make up for my sub par cgpa?

If you indeed score 510+ then I think you would be good. Know that CCOM is going to be a longshot with those GPAs

Just got my score back. Scored a 503. Need help with a school list!

Apply broadly and target the newest schools, especially the VCOMs, BCOM, ACOM, Wm Carey, LMU, RVU-UT, UIW and NYIT-AR. I can't recommend LUCOM.
Do you think its worth applying this cycle? I am going to apply my app is ready to go.. I just don't want to get my hopes up unrealistically.

Okay here is a list of schools that I am applying to, any suggestions would be appreciated;

Nova
ATSU-Kirksville
WVSOM
ATSU-Arizona
ACOM
VCOM- All 3
TCOM-Nevada
RVUCOM-UT
ArCOM
LECOM-E
LECOM-B
BCOM
UIWSOM

So far I have finished and submitted all secondaries that I have received (13). I was wondering if considering an SMP at NSUCOM or VCOM would be beneficial to remedy my low gpa? I really don't want to retake classes from years ago that I have C's in because I do not feel that it would accurate portray my academic capabilities. Any advice is appreciated in advance.

So far I have finished and submitted all secondaries that I have received (13). I was wondering if considering an SMP at NSUCOM or VCOM would be beneficial to remedy my low gpa? I really don't want to retake classes from years ago that I have C's in because I do not feel that it would accurate portray my academic capabilities. Any advice is appreciated in advance.

If you've been out of school for more than 2 years, you probably will want to enroll in a SMP. I just completed my masters at KCU (after being out of school for 5 years) if you have any questions. I highly recommend the program if you don't get in this cycle. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile