Chances for post bacc. Art --> Healthcare. Please advise!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr777777

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm currently a 22 year old recent graduate of art school. During my senior year, I've been seriously contemplating on changing the path my life is going in and the only thing that I feel passionate enough about besides art is healthcare. Although I love art, I cannot imagine myself doing JUST this for the rest of my life. After a lot of thought, I came to the conclusion that pursuing art is actually a very selfish decision on my part. I do not come from a wealthy family and do not have the financial freedom like many artists start off with in New York these days. Also I have two parents that struggle from health problems. Mother has severe osteoarthritis, which made me reconsider medicine. Seeing her struggle with it, after all she's done for me, really wanted me to be in a position of knowledge and ability to help her and others in need. I attended a specialized science and research based high school in NYC and was sure I was going to do pre-med but during the senior year of my high school, I did not feel confident enough to dedicate the following 8 years of my life to education. I have matured since then and feel more than confident that I can make it through the post bacc, med school and residency.

That being said, I really want to go to UPenn. Cost of living is not as high as it is in New York, has a formal post bacc program with advising, and obviously it is an amazing school.
Stats:
BFA in Studio Art at New York University, Dean's List
GPA 3.6
No sciences at all in university because I got a 5 in AP Bio, which took care of my pre-reqs. Took one Quantitative Reasoning class that counted as a math.
SAT - 2100
Have not volunteered at all. I want to but it's very hard to when you're working a full time job + a babysitting gig trying to make rent and be able to eat in NYC. Also a very close uncle of mine was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I have cut down in nannying hours to be able to drive him to his appointments and meetings because he has no close family besides my immediate family in New York.
Is it realistic to aim for UPenn? If not can anyone name any other programs I have a chance at? I really want to go to a formal post bacc as opposed to doing it on my own.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'd be a very strong candidate for UPenn. In fact, I think you may even want to aim a little higher and look at Goucher and Bryn Mawr. Commonly considered among the top programs (if not THE top programs), these two in particular seek out students like you -- those with high GPA and SAT scores, but non-traditional backgrounds (e.g. Art major). Both of these programs really hold your hand through the process, have strong advising, and have close to 100% acceptance rates to med school (with very low attrition). UPenn is more of a free-for-all with a somewhat high attrition rate, from what I've heard.

Other strong programs: Johns Hopkins and Scripps.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree with the above. If you want to be in Philly, Bryn Mawr's program has a much better reputation than Penn's. I majored in art history and applied to most of the post bac programs in New York and Philly. I did a ton of research, mostly on this site, and ended up pulling my Penn deposit and attending another program. Once you interview places you may have a more clear picture of where you fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPenn is more of a free-for-all with a somewhat high attrition rate, from what I've heard.
Don't know how you say this. As a upenn ssp grad, I've never seen or heard of any reference to this.

Fair few people decelerate and take classes at a slower pace or leave to go to Carib or switch to PA/NP. Not sure I count this as attrition.

BM is def the better program though

I will definitely look into Bryn Mawr. The only thing is that the program is a one year program and I was a little hesitant because I have no experience whatsoever in university-level sciences. I don't know whether I would be ready to take the MCAT in one year, even if the classes at Bryn Mawr do help me.... That being said, I am prepared to work very hard and I know that I will not leaving the library for the next few years but I do wonder if its possible to me to achieve a competitive MCAT score for me to link to a school of my choice directly, instead of having to go through a glide year.

Another question is whether my lack of volunteer and/or clinical experience will impact my application negatively. Or is it unnecessary for an applicant to a post-bacc program to volunteer? I went in for an interview with a hospital but they basically said that they don't have a position for me open because I have no science background or research experience. I totally understand that they can't have someone clueless running around the hospital but I'm confused as to why there are so many prerequisites for even a volunteer position. I am looking into other hospitals in NYC though.

Last edited:
I went to a one-year program, took the MCAT and started school right away (without the glide year). I did have about 300 hours shadowing by the time I applied. That year was very difficult and stressful, but also was fantastic preparation for the pace of med school. You need to prove to admissions people that you know what you're getting into, especially because you're coming from such a different field. Hours of shadowing/volunteering demonstrate a continued interest.

@dr777777 , we have similar stories. I graduated with a Bachelors of Music, had zero science in my undergrad, then did a 1-year postbac. I'm beginning med school this August (woo!), but am still in the active cycle. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to connect. I wish you all the best on your journey. :)