Chances for somebody taking their DAT in November?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentistgirl1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright everybody this forum helped me out tremendously when I was applying to dental school and was looking for some insight for my sister who is applying this year (and is incredibly late in the cycle as well </3)

So she submitted her application on 08/02 and has yet to take her DAT. She keeps postponing it, originally she was supposed to take it in September, now she's thinking November 8th. I keep pushing her to take it but she feels like she isn't ready ( her scores are around 17/18 for all sections). So I can't really push her, but I want to hear from you guys about what her chances are of getting in this cycle.
Cum GPA: 3.28
SCI GPA: 3.2
BCP: 3.03
Non-Sci GPA: 3.49
She had a rough transition into her junior year of college and so she repeated about 9 credit hours of work but has had an astounding upward grade trend after transferring to a smaller branch of her university and has an almost perfect gpa since 2014.

More background info: for most of her undergrad career she's averaged 6-8 credit hours a semester, I don't know if that pertinent.. About 1460 hours of shadowing+ extracurriculars and about 100 research hours.

Anyway, any help or tips you could provide would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Shes gonna want a 21+ DAT to go along with that gpa. It is too late for some schools, but not all for november. Considering she isnt ready for the DAT I advise to not rush it and take it when shes ready. I mean if shes averaging 17-18 she probably is getting a 17-18. 3.2 sgpa + 17-18 would be part of the lower side of stats in overall applicants.

As for her chances, none of us know. If she already made the effort to get the applications and everything in, then might as well go all the way. If theres no luck, improve for next years cycle. Goodluck!

Reactions: 5 users
Alright everybody this forum helped me out tremendously when I was applying to dental school and was looking for some insight for my sister who is applying this year (and is incredibly late in the cycle as well </3)

So she submitted her application on 08/02 and has yet to take her DAT. She keeps postponing it, originally she was supposed to take it in September, now she's thinking November 8th. I keep pushing her to take it but she feels like she isn't ready ( her scores are around 17/18 for all sections). So I can't really push her, but I want to hear from you guys about what her chances are of getting in this cycle.
She had a rough transition into her junior year of college and so she repeated about 9 credit hours of work but has had an astounding upward grade trend after transferring to a smaller branch of her university and has an almost perfect gpa since 2014.

More background info: for most of her undergrad career she's averaged 6-8 credit hours a semester, I don't know if that pertinent.. About 1460 hours of shadowing+ extracurriculars and about 100 research hours.

Hi there, in my honest opinion.. given her GPA and lateness into this cycle I would say she should try for next year. Additionally, with that GPA she needs to get atleast a 21.. realistically- a 22+ to be in the competitive realm. Her EC's look great but the metrics are not really bright. Why doesn't she consider a 1 year masters program? I think if she does that and then applies, a 21 DAT with her EC's would be great. If she has money to spare she can take her chances but ... it'll be more on the slimmer side given her stats aren't God-like ... I say God like because it's so late in the cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I'd just focus on grades, keep those up, and hit it hard (and early) next cycle. As for DAT, wait til after Spring Finals and hit it hard. Some do it while taking class, but she needs those 4.0s!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Though I would be a bit concerned about 6-8 credit hour semesters. If she's not working full time or has some type of special circumstance, this may be a red flag to adcoms. 6-8 isn't exactly rigorous. Though you did say she has extensive ECs so maybe that compensates! Best of luck to her in the next year or so.

I would have to agree with most of the above. It seems like she keeps pushing because she may not be ready. Biggest advice I've gotten is not to take the DAT just to get it over with and when your not ready. Focus on the courses that is she taking right now, and if she can, study at the same time for the DAT and take it in the spring. Worst case is to take it again during the summer while applying. Otherwise grind all summer and take it! Good luck!

May I ask why she's averaged 6-8 credits per semester? That will surely raise red flags--especially since her GPA is below average.

It's extremely late in the cycle. Don't rush to take the DAT. You want to get a good score the FIRST time.

Best of luck to her!

I'm not going to read everyone else's post, but I am sure most are saying you need a high DAT. The stats sound about similar to a friend's friend of mine who got into VCU last cycle with an 18AA. Tell her to take it and see how she does. What's the worst that can happen? Too many variables when it comes to applying. Loads of high stats get rejected and low stats get in and vice versa.

You can only bank on not getting in if you don't apply to get in.

Reactions: 1 users

why are you asking us pre-dent this question, when you yourself are a dental student. don't you think you got more knowledge and experience in this process considering you been through this process before.

why are you asking us pre-dent this question, when you yourself are a dental student. don't you think you got more knowledge and experience in this process considering you been through this process before.

I would disagree with what you said. Things change every year between new policies and requirements that a dental student might not pick up on because, they aren't applying anymore and wouldn't be spending time researching 50 other schools like a pre-dent might. Now, a dental student would know more about their OWN school and all its changes year and year out. But someone from UF wouldn't exactly be keeping updated on what UCLA is doing this year would they? I wouldn't bet on it, they don't have the time. So I think considering her inquiry is about the ALL dental schools as a whole, asking pre-dents is absolutely a good idea.

I would disagree with what you said. Things change every year between new policies and requirements that a dental student might not pick up on because, they aren't applying anymore and wouldn't be spending time researching 50 other schools like a pre-dent might. Now, a dental student would know more about their OWN school and all its changes year and year out. But someone from UF wouldn't exactly be keeping updated on what UCLA is doing this year would they? I wouldn't bet on it, they don't have the time. So I think considering her inquiry is about the ALL dental schools as a whole, asking pre-dents is absolutely a good idea.

I would agree with you if she was asking about specific schools or even a school at all, then maybe we can actually help. But as the title of the post stated, this is a chance me post. As a dental students, she should already know that if her sister wait until November to take the DAT with that low BCPgpa, her chance of getting into any schools this cycle is basically 0. She don't need us to tell her that.

I would agree with you if she was asking about specific schools or even a school at all, then maybe we can actually help. But as the title of the post stated, this is a chance me post. As a dental students, she should already know that if her sister wait until November to take the DAT with that low BCPgpa, her chance of getting into any schools this cycle is basically 0. She don't need us to tell her that.

She's making this thread to show her sister what others think. Not everyone has an sdn account.

Members don't see this ad :)
She's making this thread to show her sister what others think. Not everyone has an sdn account.

Our opinion doesn't mean anything. If op want someone opinion that actually matter, she need to tell her sister to contact schools she applied to directly and ask them. It sound like op care more about her sister actually getting in then her sister does. It not that hard to make a account on here and ask the question herself.

Also how do you have a rough transition into your junior year. You can make that excuse as a freshman or sophomore, but as a junior you should be accustom to college by then. That rough transition excuse is weak especially if you are only taking 6-8 credit hours a semester.

May I ask why she's averaged 6-8 credits per semester? That will surely raise red flags--especially since her GPA is below average.

It's extremely late in the cycle. Don't rush to take the DAT. You want to get a good score the FIRST time.

Best of luck to her!

She felt like that taking fewer credits would allow her to focus and do better. Although I advised against it, she insisted. :/

There's value in other's opinions..

Again, I already thought this, but I wanted other people's opinions.

Our opinion doesn't mean anything. If op want someone opinion that actually matter, she need to tell her sister to contact schools she applied to directly and ask them. It sound like op care more about her sister actually getting in then her sister does. It not that hard to make a account on here and ask the question herself.

Also how do you have a rough transition into your junior year. You can make that excuse as a freshman or sophomore, but as a junior you should be accustom to college by then. That rough transition excuse is weak especially if you are only taking 6-8 credit hours a semester.
Rough transition from CC to a University

November is just flat-out too late, especially with her subpar GPA.

She felt like that taking fewer credits would allow her to focus and do better. Although I advised against it, she insisted. :/

So is she expecting to take part time classes if she get accepted into a dental school? Like i say earlier, it seem like you want this for her more then she do. Maybe she doesnt even want dentistry, but the pressure of having a sister in dental school and your parent nagging her is forcing her to go down a road where her heart is not in it.

Yeah I honestly feel like this will look really bad--but can't say for sure, obviously. 6-8 credits and a below average GPA is not a good recipe for showing one could withstand the rigors of dental school.

She could take it and apply to her state school and a few private schools just in case she can snag a post Dec interview but I'd be focusing on next cycle at this point especially if she needs to retake

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile