Chances for Top 10?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calmodulin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Longtime lurker here...how would I fare for top 10 schools?

GPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 36
Asian Senior

Research Experience (~3 years)
1 first author publication, 2 second authors; all from molecular biology lab
several research grants, travel grants, and some prestigious scholarships (goldwater, etc)
presented at local and national levels with several awards
chief editor for school's research journal
will be working at NIH for my gap year, full-time research; this part may not be on my application at time of application
Amgen Scholar

Clinical Experience
ER Scribe (1.5 years, 1300+ hours)
Volunteer at local hospital (60 hours over 6 months)

Nonclinical volunteer
Volunteer at a local center for soup kitchen (1.5 years, ~200 hours)
Volunteer abroad in Honduras, helping with construction (2 weeks)
Volunteer group tutor for honors program (~220 hours, 3 years)
student recruitment day speaker, 1.5 years

Shadowing
Internship in pediatrics department for a semester, over 100 hr shadowing; also helped a pediatrician with clinical research for 4 months during the internship
Shadowed ~40 hours in 4 specialties

Teaching Experience
Teaching assistant for 4 courses in the same department, 3 years
Examkrackers MCAT Prep Instructor, 1 year

Extracurriculars
captain of club rugby team, won several awards
president of honor society
compete in triathlons
photography

Strong interview skills, various academic honors such as university's leadership award

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Calmodulin, I'm not experienced enough to offer you any chances, but I think you have an amazing, amazing, amazing resume! Hopefully, I'll be able to achieve as much as you did by the time I apply. Congratulations!!!

Depending on the strength of your leadership experience, which I assume must be substantive if you got an award for it, I think you have a very promising application. Of course, I wouldn't suggest applying only to "top tens" as I've seen highly-ranked Name Brand schools pass by other equally amazing applications. Hopefully, your LORs are strong, you have no legal issues, and will interview well?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can probably go wherever you want. Nice work.

Definitely a strong enough application for the Top 10, just don't ONLY apply to them because this process can be deeply unpredictable.

Chances outstanding.

Longtime lurker here...how would I fare for top 10 schools?

GPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 36
Asian Senior

Research Experience (~3 years)
1 first author publication, 2 second authors; all from molecular biology lab
several research grants, travel grants, and some prestigious scholarships (goldwater, etc)
presented at local and national levels with several awards
chief editor for school's research journal
will be working at NIH for my gap year, full-time research; this part may not be on my application at time of application
Amgen Scholar

Clinical Experience
ER Scribe (1.5 years, 1300+ hours)
Volunteer at local hospital (60 hours over 6 months)

Nonclinical volunteer
Volunteer at a local center for soup kitchen (1.5 years, ~200 hours)
Volunteer abroad in Honduras, helping with construction (2 weeks)
Volunteer group tutor for honors program (~220 hours, 3 years)
student recruitment day speaker, 1.5 years

Shadowing
Internship in pediatrics department for a semester, over 100 hr shadowing; also helped a pediatrician with clinical research for 4 months during the internship
Shadowed ~40 hours in 4 specialties

Teaching Experience
Teaching assistant for 4 courses in the same department, 3 years
Examkrackers MCAT Prep Instructor, 1 year

Extracurriculars
captain of club rugby team, won several awards
president of honor society
compete in triathlons
photography

Strong interview skills, various academic honors such as university's leadership award

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the replies! I think my MCAT may be a tad low for ORM applying to top 10s. I might put in a few apps but I'll likely stay in-state since its a whole lot cheaper...I don't envision getting many scholarships with my MCAT score either.

I would assume my research mentor's LOR is very strong and the others should be strong as well.

Thanks for the replies! I think my MCAT may be a tad low for ORM applying to top 10s. I might put in a few apps but I'll likely stay in-state since its a whole lot cheaper...I don't envision getting many scholarships with my MCAT score either.

I would assume my research mentor's LOR is very strong and the others should be strong as well.

Scholarships are not based (solely) on MCAT scores and your MCAT score is not low by any standard either way. You should also keep in mind that the very top schools have more money to throw around and therefore can end up cheaper than state schools. It's worth considering when putting together your school list.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the heads up SN1! I will definitely apply to a few more high tiers!

You have a great shot at all the top 10s with your research experience and everything else is good (long involvement, etc). Just make sure that you don't limit yourself to just the top 10s because that could come back and haunt you.

Also, if you were an AMGEN scholar, we might know each other. ;)

If I were you, I would seriously consider applying to Rhodes and academic team. You probably need more international work for Rhodes, but you still have a decent shot.

Oh wow haha; I've had some people encourage me to apply but I don't think I have a shot tbh haha. I hear it is a good way to reflect on oneself even if one does not get the scholarship. Maybe I will summon the courage to apply... :)

Oh wow haha; I've had some people encourage me to apply but I don't think I have a shot tbh haha. I hear it is a good way to reflect on oneself even if one does not get the scholarship. Maybe I will summon the courage to apply... :)

Definitely apply! The hardest part would be summoning all of those letters of recommendation but you should def. try.

Reactions: 1 users