Chances for top 20 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ananro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Junior in college and wanted some help to decide what schools to apply to.

Gpa: 3.75 cGPA 3.65 sGPA
Dean's list every semester

MCAT: 36 - only took it once

Volunteering: hospital volunteer>300 hours

Worked about 50 hours as an EMT

Research: two publication in 3 different labs

EC
AMSA
Student Government

Shadowing - 35+hours psychiatrists
20+hours with neurosurgeons
15+hours cardiologist

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any leadership/hobbies? Two publications are awesome, but on the whole, your applications seems a bit cookie-cutter.

Last edited:
Do you have any leadership/hobbies? Two publications are awesome, but on the whole, your applications seems a bit cookie-cutter.

I am heavily involved in student government, and have also started multiple programs at Pitt, like a research recruiting fair, volunteer events etc. I also helped found an office under the honors college of my university if that helps any.
For research I was also in charge of the undergraduate research team, which ended in a publication.

Is that what you meant by leadership?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can be an even better candidate if you get in some non-clinical volunteering. Get off your campus and out of your comfort zone. Show off your altruism and humanity.

Junior in college and wanted some help to decide what schools to apply to.

Gpa: 3.75 cGPA 3.65 sGPA
Dean's list every semester

MCAT: 36 - only took it once

Volunteering: hospital volunteer>300 hours

Worked about 50 hours as an EMT

Research: two publication in 3 different labs

EC
AMSA
Student Government

Shadowing - 35+hours psychiatrists
20+hours with neurosurgeons
15+hours cardiologist

I am heavily involved in student government, and have also started multiple programs at Pitt, like a research recruiting fair, volunteer events etc. I also helped found an office under the honors college of my university if that helps any.
For research I was also in charge of the undergraduate research team, which ended in a publication.

Is that what you meant by leadership?

You should definitely mention these things in your application to show that you talk to people about things that aren't science.

if you build up your ECs a little bit then will you have a chance at some top 20 schools....obviously that doesn't mean you'll get it but at least you will have a chance. GPA is a little low but not detrimental. MCAT isn't anything special at those schools. I have 4.0/36, decent ECs (yours may be slightly better than mine), personable and am currently waitlisted at one top 20 school and then rejected by the other 3 that applied to pre-interview. Also waitlisted on a top 30 school and have only been accepted to one school which is in the top 40. Rejected by all other schools. Obviously that doesn't mean that will happen to you but I'm just letting you know it isn't as easy to get into top schools, or just schools in general, with a 36 as you may think....at least I thought it would be when I first started thinking about schools and applying. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
if you build up your ECs a little bit then will you have a chance at some top 20 schools....obviously that doesn't mean you'll get it but at least you will have a chance. GPA is a little low but not detrimental. MCAT isn't anything special at those schools. I have 4.0/36, decent ECs (yours may be slightly better than mine), personable and am currently waitlisted at one top 20 school and then rejected by the other 3 that applied to pre-interview. Also waitlisted on a top 30 school and have only been accepted to one school which is in the top 40. Rejected by all other schools. Obviously that doesn't mean that will happen to you but I'm just letting you know it isn't as easy to get into top schools, or just schools in general, with a 36 as you may think....at least I thought it would be when I first started thinking about schools and applying. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the advice! What about my ECs do you all recommend I improve? My research background isn't going to improve any but I can change the other aspects.

Thanks for the advice! What about my ECs do you all recommend I improve? My research background isn't going to improve any but I can change the other aspects.
Every single activity that you've listed is something that literally hundreds, if not thousands, of other applicants to top 20 schools will have (except founding an office under the honors college of your university). What is going to set you apart in front of the adcom who's going through hundreds of 4.0/36 apps? What's going to make an adcom say, "we have to have this kid in our class?"

Every single activity that you've listed is something that literally hundreds, if not thousands, of other applicants to top 20 schools will have (except founding an office under the honors college of your university). What is going to set you apart in front of the adcom who's going through hundreds of 4.0/36 apps? What's going to make an adcom say, "we have to have this kid in our class?"
Do you have any examples? I can't really think of any potential wow factors that I could use. being the chairman of that office plus my other responsibilities has kept me from doing some things, but I agree that I need something that stands out.

Anything. Do big brother big sister. I was a teachers assistant for a 7th grade science class...try that. Volunteer at planned parenthood or volunteers in medicine. Try to see if there is any diversity educating programs at your school...get involved that. The best place to see what you can do is through your school and your community