Chances for upcoming cycle (c/0 2019) non-traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mds7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm applying for the upcoming cycle. Heres my brief story. I'm non-traditional, minority 3.6 overall for undergrad in music, and 3.8 overall for grad school. Late 20s I have plenty go volunteer/extracurricular experience. I'll take the DAT in May/June.

Current science: 2.9 still in process of taking Bio 2 and physics 2. I will take more sciences during summer and gap year but I'm starting from the bottom.
Pre-calc-B+
Calc: C
Bio 1: B+
Chem 1: B
Chem 2: C
Phys 1: B-
100level Microbiology: A
Orgo 1: B
Orgo 2: B+

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but simply put, you need to step up your game in the sciences. Your strong performance in undergrad/grad is commendable, but means little without a nice followup in the core classes. Schools definitely look at the broken down GPAs, and I'm living proof that a strong BCP will likely get you interviews (3.7 bcp, 3.2 overall). Figure out what you need to get A's in every single remaining course, and demand that of yourself - you need it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I really need the honest advice. I forgot to mention the 40hr/wk full time job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I really need the honest advice. I forgot to mention the 40hr/wk full time job.
How do you take courses while working full-time? Are you taking courses on-line?

No, I drive about 20 minutes to the university about 3 days a week and take bio and physics. My work is flexible but that means some days I work 12hrs and others days I do 4 and I always have to work on Saturdays. It makes out to be 40 hrs of work plus 12 hours of in class time during the week. This does not count finding time to do hmwk and study.

The nice thing is you have plenty of opportunities to improve on your BCP by taking upper-level bio courses - microbio, genetics, cell bio, anatomy&physiology, biochem. Make sure you get A's in those, and they will make your application much more competitive. Allocate some time for your DAT so that you can get 22+ to offset for the BCP GPA.

Good luck :)

Thanks, I will be taking the dat this summer so the only time to take more upper divisional classes is during the fall and spring while I'll be interviewing at d schools.

No, I drive about 20 minutes to the university about 3 days a week and take bio and physics. My work is flexible but that means some days I work 12hrs and others days I do 4 and I always have to work on Saturdays. It makes out to be 40 hrs of work plus 12 hours of in class time during the week. This does not count finding time to do hmwk and study.
wow! Impressive! Good Luck!

No, I drive about 20 minutes to the university about 3 days a week and take bio and physics. My work is flexible but that means some days I work 12hrs and others days I do 4 and I always have to work on Saturdays. It makes out to be 40 hrs of work plus 12 hours of in class time during the week. This does not count finding time to do hmwk and study.[/quote

BTW, I am also non-traditional, but I will be applying next year :)

How non-traditional are you? Its much harder to balance things when you're non traditional. I've seen many conversation on here where people say that you just have to drop everything but sometimes you just can't do that. If you don't work, you don't eat, your lights aren't on, you can't pay for gas to go to the classes that you're trying to do well in...etc...its different when you can no longer fall back on ur parents and you have a spouse to support as well.

It's definitely difficult, but unfortunately you will receive little sympathy from adcoms - don't use your non-trad status as an excuse for poor grades, because there are many many non-trad pre-dents and pre-meds who get great 3.8-4.0 science GPAs. The trick is to know your limitations. If you have to work a full-time job don't take more than 2 classes a semester (you may or may not have done this). Adcoms will understand you not taking full-time classes if you have a full-time job, but they will be less forgiving of Cs no matter the circumstances. I'm not trying to be mean or judgy or anything, but the cold truth is that people with 3.0 science GPAs or less very rarely get in anywhere. You might get lucky this cycle, but don't count on it.

That is probably true, I'm not making any excuses. I only take two classes per semester but with more time and classes I'll be able to improve my science gpa. I plan on using the summer and gap year to increase it. Right now I started with literally no science courses and have to build from the bottom up. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

How non-traditional are you? Its much harder to balance things when you're non traditional. I've seen many conversation on here where people say that you just have to drop everything but sometimes you just can't do that. If you don't work, you don't eat, your lights aren't on, you can't pay for gas to go to the classes that you're trying to do well in...etc...its different when you can no longer fall back on ur parents and you have a spouse to support as well.
I am an international student... I need to retake all my pre0requisite since all credits are taken outside the US...

So true! I have a Bachelor's in Music Education and a Master's in Education. Getting all of my science pre-reqs done now while teaching full time. I'm a crazy person 24-7 and don't sleep much. THANK YOU for posting this. It's encouraging to know I'm not the only one switching gears completely. :)

You can do it!!! I have been accepted into 2 dental schools already.

Reactions: 2 users
Below average, I had two interviews and both were acceptances. But in the end I just needed to get into one dental school

Below average, I had two interviews and both were acceptances. But in the end I just needed to get into one dental school

Congrats! You are correct. I applied with a 3.1 oGPA, 2.8 sGPA. Applied to 2 schools and got in to one. All you need is one! And, off the record, adcoms are understanding about working while taking a full load of courses. That's what I did. I worked one-two jobs throughout undergrad so I could pay for my rent, bills, and tuition. They definitely took that into consideration. That and doing well on the DAT showed them that I knew the material. I just had a rough time with part of undergrad. I took a year off and am currently working as a research assistant at a dental school. It's not all about the numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
Good job man. God bless you, and thanks for sharing your motivating story!