Chances? + Gap Year Plan: local job or international clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTM412

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are little lower than what I'd like.

Biology BS with a concentration in neurobiology/physio/behavior
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.64
MCAT: 508 (129,128,126,125) (physical, reading, bio/biochem,psych) - I'd consider retaking it.
I also took the old MCATbut that was awful. I was extremely unprepared, if you really want to know PM me.

Experiences:
- 2013-2016 summer research internship that I continued on to do clinical research 2013-2016; worked on three different projects related to dementia, all of which got published in peer review journals; I am on the author line as first on one and fourth on the other two
- 2015 Harvard dental school internship that was kind of a one month benchwork 'bootcamp'; studied osteoarthritis
- Undergraduate thesis was a systematic review and meta analysis of complementary/alternative medicines, specifically on mind and body therapies
- 72 hours of shadowing (however this was only with one physician - geriatric neurologist)
- Presented one of my publications at a summer research symposium
- Co-founded/vice-president of a cultural performance club
- Mentored incoming undergraduate freshmen in the fall semester for two years
- Volunteered at with a student organization that conducts science experiments/activities at local elementary schools for 3 semesters

I feel that I am lacking in patient exposure/clinical experience and hope to get that in my gap year. Here are the choices I have/can think of:

1) I recently got an offer for a part-time retail pharmtech position, but I feel like that may not help me as much since I should be striving for clinical experience. The pro's to this is that it's stable, I'll see healthcare through a different perspective, and learn tons about drugs.
2) I am discussing a potential scribe position with a recruiter at the moment.
3) I've basically been accepted (just waiting for paper work/clearnce) into program in China where I'd be able to intern at different hospitals. I would also be able to participate in research. I'd be there for about 1 month at a time. After the initial month, I'd probably spend my time in the ratio of 1 month in China: 3 months in the US. I'd continue working on research via Skype when I'm back in the US.

I figure I can squeeze in volunteer work and additional physician shadowing in my free time regardless of which option I end up choosing. I'm really not sure which one I should really push for. Pharmtech seems lackluster but is secured. Scribe position is unsure but it'd be a safe option. The China program feels like a gamble to me since it's an international experience, but it definitely feels like it's something exciting and could make my application stand out.

Members don't see this ad.

Your post has not made me a fan of the China thing. Yeah, it is an international experience, but you'll only be gone for a month at a time? Who is paying for your airfare every few months??!! If it is you (or your parents) then I'd say, don't do it. Because at that point, you are paying for an experience - a resume booster which will not actually boost your resume. I also do not believe it would make you stand out. A lot of people go on short trips abroad and mistakenly think it'll make Adcoms fall in love with them. If you want to do research abroad, apply for a Fulbright.

If it was up to me, I'd take the pharmtech position. Sounds cool and you'll get to see medicine from a different perspective. If it ends up being part time, and this was me, I'd spent the rest of my time volunteering/shadowing to get my total weekly involvement up to 40ish hours so you're essentially full-time busy. On paper China looks cool but sounds miserable. Honestly if you want to visit China, just go and visit China. You could use more volunteering and shadowing

Where are you IS?

Members don't see this ad :)
How will interning at Chinese hospitals give you American patient exposure/clinical experience?

Thanks for replies guys.

@TMC07, didn't think about it that way. I believe housing/airfare costs are reimbursed. I might want to clarify: I'm much more interested in the hospital experience and being in China is just a bonus (I'll get to apply my Chinese in a more professional setting which is a more personal goal). But I can totally see how adcoms could view it in a different light. Right now, I'm prioritizing clinical experiences/patient exposure so applying for a Fullbright for additional research wouldn't feel right.

@EaglesontheWarpath, the offer started at part time with possibility of full time in the future. This seems like the safest option

@Toutie, I have the same concern there. I can see differences in protocol/culture, but at the end of the day it's still treating patients (or is it wrong for me to think this?).

and @EspressoDrip42, same skepticism here too, but I do think it has the possibility to be a really good experience. Definitely feels like a gamble.

Regarding scribe work, they seem to be hard to get in my area. I've reached out to multiple scribe organizations to no avail. Regardless of position I might find, I'd want to use my free time for volunteering (looking at hospice) and shadowing physicians as @EaglesontheWarpath recommended.

Any other ideas/positions you guy can think of? EMT seems to be an option if I invest some time into it. Could the China program potentially be seen as a negative experience?

@CTM412 unless you already are emt certified, taking the time/money to get that would be a waste, especially if you are going to be matriculating in a year.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't recommend CNA or EMT. Scribing is always a better option IMO but I'm biased (Currently scribing). The plus side of that is that it's cheap ($0 to become a scribe) and the experiences are invaluable.