chances germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peerless surgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody

If I worked as general surgeon in my country for a year or a little more, can I apply for cardiothoracic surgery in Germany ????

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what you mean by applying for CR surgery. But yeah, if your medical degree is recognized by the German Bundesaertzekammer and individual state medical boards, then you can apply for surgery medical training. This means that you have to redo all of your surgery training in Germany. The advantage is that in Germany, you directly enter into CT surgery training. It can take anywhere from 7 to 9 years depending on which hospital you get into, your language skills, your work ethic and expertise etc before you start working as a qualified surgeon.

I don't know what you mean by applying for CR surgery. But yeah, if your medical degree is recognized by the German Bundesaertzekammer and individual state medical boards, then you can apply for surgery medical training. This means that you have to redo all of your surgery training in Germany. The advantage is that in Germany, you directly enter into CT surgery training. It can take anywhere from 7 to 9 years depending on which hospital you get into, your language skills, your work ethic and expertise etc before you start working as a qualified surgeon.

I heard before -I don't know if it was right or not- that if I had 1 or 2 years general surgery residency in my country then applied for CT residency in germany I may be accepted ..... as much as possible I want to start my CT training in germany because it is hard to take it in my country

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I recommend you master the language and get those requirements out of the way as that's the first and most important step.

Reactions: 1 user