Chances-- help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmtruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here goes
What are my chances?

I am premed lsu and I'm looking to go to DO school (something my state doesn't even have). My grades so far, due to deaths in the family, my father being laid off twice, and a suicidal best friend are this

Bio1: b
Bio2: c
Biolab1: a
Bio lab2: b
Chemlab: a
Calc: b
Stats: a
Genetics: c
Organic: b
Organic 2: b
Micro: c
Physics: b or a
Physics lab: a

I have other classes too, with a's and b's. I just finished sophomore year with a 3.0 cgpa and a 2.9 bcpm

I've started to get my life together. This summer will be spent rigorously preparing for the MCAT, volunteering at a hospice, and working at a research lab. I plan to make up for the c's and b's with a's in evolution, advanced micro, parisitology, cell bio, organic lab, and biochem. I'm hoping at least.

Ec's so far:
- resident assistant
- research for 1 year
- micro lab prep for 1 year

Help! I really am a good student, I used to be 4.2 in high school. But stuff happens and I wasn't strong enough to pull myself up. But now I have the wake up call I need and I want this more than anything.

Members don't see this ad.

High school was a joke, it was extremely easy to get a high GPA. That's why no one looks at it. A 3.0 is low. Your chances are pretty rough but luckily you have two more years to bring it up. If you can bring it to a 3.3+ I think your chances will significantly improved. Retake the classes that you got a C in if it'll help with increasing your GPA.

Why are you studying for the MCAT this summer? Are you planning on taking it before it changes in 2015? What have you been getting on your practice exams? With a 3.3 GPA, I think getting 28+ on the MCAT might garner you a few DO acceptances and definitely get you interviews.

Good research.

You need to log in a good amount of volunteering.

Shadow. Shadow. Shadow. You need to shadow a physician. Preferably a DO that can also write you a GREAT LOR.