Chances... HELPPPP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SU_PREMED_1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I know you guys have heard this a thousand times, but how competitive am I for DO or MD School?
I have a 3.0 right now, but I am retaking my classes and it will soon be a 3.43, and at the time I apply it will be close to 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 30 MCATS.
-EC in college include:
-President and VP of a Club for 2 years
-Member of Psych club
-Member of community service organization
-I volunteer for the Blood Drive
-Club basketball coordinator for 2 years
-Member of Bio Honor society one semester
-Volunteering in the ER for 300 hours
-Manager and Accountant at conv. store for 2 years
-Member of Male Leadership one semester
-Will be volunteering at Johns Hopkins this summer

High School:
152 Hours in the Hospital ( if it counts)
National Honor Society
How competitive am I? WHAT should my next steps be since I have 2 more years of undergrad left, and how can I round up my app even more?? what do they look for??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys, I know you guys have heard this a thousand times, but how competitive am I for DO or MD School?
I have a 3.0 right now, but I am retaking my classes and it will soon be a 3.43, and at the time I apply it will be close to 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 30 MCATS.
-EC in college include:
-Member of Psych club

High School:
National Honor Society
How competitive am I? WHAT should my next steps be since I have 2 more years of undergrad left, and how can I round up my app even more?? what do they look for??

Not sure if you have a 30 MCAT yet or not but at those predicted numbers you will be good at DO a bit of a reach at MD. Should get into some of the more established schools (ccom/PCOM/kcumb)

Also @AlteredScale move this!

Reactions: 1 user
You are only a sophomore. Do well in your last two years and you might have a shot with MD. Consider retaking classes only after you are near finished with your degree (or if you did badly in some pre-requisites).

Members don't see this ad :)
3.5/30 gives you an excellent shot at DO. The retakes are counted differently for MD- both the old and the new grade are counted.

Not sure if you have a 30 MCAT yet or not but at those predicted numbers you will be good at DO a bit of a reach at MD. Should get into some of the more established schools (ccom/PCOM/kcumb)

Also @AlteredScale move this!
Technically I am a junior! But I'm in Orgo right now so looking at my chem class they classify me as a sophomore. but thanks for the information. Now what can I do in the next two years to better my app. Grades are a given lol. EC? Community? Research?

Do DO schools average the retaken class and original class grades?

By the way! Thank you for your opinion. I will keep you guys posted on grades!

-EC in college include:
-Member of Psych club

High School:
National Honor Society

Whatever you did in high school doesn't count.
GPA replacement works for DO schools, but MD schools will average the grades. Still, strong upward trends are rewarded when combined with an excellent MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user