Chances if GPA Sci: 2.70 DAT AA: 24 TS: 23

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bio:23 Chem:23 OChem:22 RC:22 QR:28
PAT:26 TS:23 AA:24

GPA: 2.7 SCIENCE (3.03 Core Science Courses) & 2.93 CUMULATIVE

APPLYING FOR 2012 FALL; Will submit my application end of 2011 summer.

I just graduated this year with a B.S. in Toxicology. It's a tough major that took a toll on my GPA. But i made up with DAT (or i hope so). I just took the DAT's last week and will be applying for 2012 Fall. What do you guys reckon are my chances?

I'm going to do volunteering - 150+ hours

I'm working right now, and will be until i start school again.

Is there anything i should do to make up for the GPA? Or...i should be fine?

I'm applying in the EAST COAST (NYU, TUFTS, BU) and others.

So, plz give me some tips for increasing my chances and what schools should i apply to?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good job on the DAT.

In my opinion, I would try to do something about the GPA. My uGPA has been a detriment to my application, which was sub-3.0, but close (I was a bio major)

I understand what you mean about a 'tough' major, however I don't think that there is a way to take that into account, the first hurdle ends up being a numbers game.

That being said, you may have a little more wiggle room because of how well you did on the DAT, but some schools may have minimums, I would check it out.

Look into a Master's program, or post-bacc classes. From what I understand some of the larger schools (BU for example) can be more forgiving w/ regard to GPA. (This is hearsay, so check out pre-dents for a snapshot)

Good luck!:thumbup:

That's a tough call. Basically, you've shown that you can rock a standardized test, but you can't study consistently. I have the same problem, but not as pronounced. Try the under 3.0 club thread for some advise.

Members don't see this ad :)
nice DAT score.

I am just afraid that schools are going to reject you based on their minimum requirements. Seeing that you've already finished undergrad, it'll be hard to boost up your GPA by taking a few courses. Why not consider a master program?

Bio:23 Chem:23 OChem:22 RC:22 QR:28
PAT:26 TS:23 AA:24

GPA: 2.7 SCIENCE & 2.93 CUMULATIVE

APPLYING FOR 2012 FALL; Will submit my application end of 2011 summer.

I just graduated this year with a B.S. in Toxicology. It's a tough major that took a toll on my GPA. But i made up with DAT (or i hope so). I just took the DAT's last week and will be applying for 2012 Fall. What do you guys reckon are my chances?

I'm going to do volunteering - 150+ hours

I'm working right now, and will be until i start school again.

Is there anything i should do to make up for the GPA? Or...i should be fine?

I'm applying in the EAST COAST (NYU, TUFTS, BU) and others.

So, plz give me some tips for increasing my chances and what schools should i apply to?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

With that GPA, you need to retake those courses that you got C or F. You may consider go to post-grad for 1 year to show that you have ability to do well in dental school (aims all As).

Question: Did you study hard for your first 2 years in college or biology upper division courses that bring your GPA down???

Tough call.

This is what I would do:

1) Make an appointment with the dental school(s) in your local area.
2) Tell them about your situation.
3) Receive their advice and attempt to meet them.

Take what our advice with a grain of salt. Administration can probably give you a list of things you can do to improve your chances, because obviously you have what it takes (but struggled somewhere down the line during undergrad).

Where there's a will there's a way!

I highly doubt that you can get in with 2.7
They are not even gonna look at your application.
most schools have automatic cut off GPA at 2.75.
I think computer automatically reject you when it's lower than their set number.
You can definitely call DS and ask if you can still apply and they may say yes but there
is extremely low chance that they will send interview and accept.

My advice is to take post bacc or do master's degree in a school with dental program.
I know some students who had 3.0 GPA in undergrad, had 3.9 in post bacc or master and got in to dental school.
If you average both undergrad and master gpa together, yes it will skew to undergrad since u most likely took more credits in undergrad than 1 yr post bacc or master
but they definitely put more weight on master gpa.

With that GPA, you need to retake those courses that you got C or F. You may consider go to post-grad for 1 year to show that you have ability to do well in dental school (aims all As).

Question: Did you study hard for your first 2 years in college or biology upper division courses that bring your GPA down???
Thanks guys, i know my 2.7 sci is lethal. but my sci gpa for the SPECIFIC courses that are REQUIRED by most schools is 3.03
On top of that i did B and better on most core general courses....i got C's in Biochem and Orgo I
I need to take bio II (my major replaced bio II with another course) i can easily get an A in that course.

These are the courses :

GENERAL CHEMISTRY
GENERAL CHEMISTRY II
FUNDAMENTALS OF BIOLOGY I
FUNDAMENTALS OF BIOLOGY LAB I
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY II
CORE:STAT
CORE:CALC
BIOCHEMISTRY
BIOCHEMISTRY LABORATORY I
INTRODUCTION TO PATHOLOGY
HUMAN ANATOMY& PHYSIOLOGY I
HUMAN ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY LAB
HUMAN ANATOMY&PHYSIOLOGY II
COLLEGE PHYSICS I
COLLEGE PHYSICS II

Do they count every science course? or just the required?

Last edited:
AADSAS counts every science course into your science gpa.
prob because required courses differ a little from school to school.

with that said, i bet no schools would calculate science gpa on their own.

if i were you, i would look into taking post-bacc bio courses.

also i would work on explaining my grades in my application. not to focus on the poor grades, but to focus on what i did to overcome the situation that made me do poorly and why my passion still lies in dentistry despite the low gpa. prob in my personal essay.

good job on DAT, and best luck to you.

Last edited:
you better call around... your DAT is impressive but the 2.7 might prevent your application from being looked at at some schools... Apply to Temple!

To be honest with you Tox, EVEN if your GPA is the culprit, its not like you can do anything about it other than taking post-bacc courses and bringing it up. I would take 1 year and take 30-40 credits of upper level sciences with a straight 4.0....

Its not like you need to retake the DAT lol