Chances in Neurology for a IMG with 'very long GAP' and good research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielchess_MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Colleagues,

My situation may not be unique, but I guess I am in the limit of the extreme.
Any suggestion or advice will be highly welcome.

I am 44 y/o, and I Graduated 20 years ago and completed 1 Year Residency in Clinical neurophysiology prior leaving my country to another place where I completed my PhD in specific neurological disease (neuroscience/neurology PhD Program). After coming to US in 2001 for post-doctoral experiences, I have been involved in academic research and secured an Associate Prof. position in a State University (many federal grants, publications = 44, mostly same topic/basic mechanisms of this CNS disease), significant teaching experience in neuroscience, physiology, anatomy, etc.

At this stage of my career I truly want to enter in Clinical Neurology, and specialize in this disease I have being investigating for so many years with a great passion. (Good LoRs from Experts in the field, one of them Neurologist/PhD).

I have finished Step 1 (239) and Step 2 CK (230) first attempt (fresh on late 2013 -2014), and CS is pending in next month.

I am doing observerships in Internal Medicine/Cardiology since April 2014. Many hours per week and hard but rewarding work. Very Strong LoR from this experience.

It appears Observership may not count for my case, but this is the only thing I can do at this time. I have polished my dormant clinical skills, gained a very good experience with the US medical system and I know well the Electronic Clinical Record software, etc. Multilingual clinical skills (English, Spanish, Portuguese).

I am looking to join any Neurology Program (MATCH 2015), except for those ones in the West Coast. Ideally, I am looking for a program with significant interest on research.

Despite all my efforts and considering my unusual long GAP and limited US clinical Experience, what are my real chances to get interviews or Match in Neurology at this time?

I am aware of the challenge, but I can't erase the time, but ... is there anything else I can do or improve to become a more competitive or .... a less noncompetitive applicant?

Please be free to be brutally honest! I have been desensitized already

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

So you're still planning to do a year of internal medicine internship before neuro right? I don't think any ACGME accredited programs would be allowed to take you without completing an internship in the U.S. first.

That issue aside, I don't think you'll have any problem matching into a neuro program with those credentials. Are you planning to remain in academic medicine after your training? If so, I think most places would be crazy not to accept someone who's already pulling in grant money and has a track record of success regardless of a gap in clinical training. If you plan to go purely clinical after your training that may be a tougher sell. I would recommend applying to a wide array of programs as I think some programs will be concerned about the gap in training while others will be more than happy to overlook it.

The one other issue would be your communication skills. I assume your English is good after living here for so long, but this obviously becomes more important when transitioning to a clinical role. You should also be able to succinctly describe your research when you go on interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I would like to participate in research (during and after) the residency as soon as it will not conflict with the educational objectives of the program.
I understand about the problem with the first year PGY1 required for advanced programs, this is why I will include a lot of the categorical programs first, and less number of advanced programs, just the ones I really like due to location, etc. Let's see.

I am currently polishing my clinical interpersonal and clinical data gathering skills in observerships, of course it is not the same as US Clinical experience, but this is what I can do at this time. I have being teaching for 10 years many courses in Anatomy, Physiology and Neuroscience, but I am aware teaching is very different than clinical encounters.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I would like to participate in research (during and after) the residency as soon as it will not conflict with the educational objectives of the program.
I understand about the problem with the first year PGY1 required for advanced programs, this is why I will include a lot of the categorical programs first, and less number of advanced programs, just the ones I really like due to location, etc. Let's see.

I am currently polishing my clinical interpersonal and clinical data gathering skills in observerships, of course it is not the same as US Clinical experience, but this is what I can do at this time. I have being teaching for 10 years many courses in Anatomy, Physiology and Neuroscience, but I am aware teaching is very different than clinical encounters.
Hi, were you able to match?