Chances in Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fnetter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Step I: 538
Step II: 595

Do I still have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

Step I: 538
Step II: 595

Do I still have a shot?

Your level 1 is too low for some programs. I know my school's program only considers people with two digit scores in the 90's on both level 1 and 2. I'd say you are an underdog, but I don't think it is game over. What are your 3rd year grades like? Have you been auditioning? Ask the PD if he thinks you have a shot. Nevertheless, I would have a back up plan, like general surgery, if I were you.

Thanks for the reply. Which program is your core site? I've done well in my 3rd year rotations. I have been auditioning and I'm scheduled to do a couple more. I just wanted to see if I were mathematically ruled out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew a kid in my school who matched Ortho with a Step 1 of 410.....You are never ruled out

You are fine.

Rotation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> board scores (at most places, except like Toledo :laugh:)

r u guys saying that where you rotate in your clinical years are more important than board scores?

r u guys saying that where you rotate in your clinical years are more important than board scores?

For AOA residencies, this is generally the best idea. Show up, work hard, kiss (a little) ass, and you should be good to go.

For AOA residencies, this is generally the best idea. Show up, work hard, kiss (a little) ass, and you should be good to go.

but i thought that all DO schools have clinical year rotations in ortho

Definitely not. I doubt any school has a mandatory Ortho rotation. Most people do them as an elective and choose to go to places they might be interested in applying for residency.

Definitely not. I doubt any school has a mandatory Ortho rotation. Most people do them as an elective and choose to go to places they might be interested in applying for residency.

does azcom have ortho rotation set up somewhere? does western?

how long are these rotations and when they do them, do you guys have to find a place to stay or does the hospital find one for you?

does azcom have ortho rotation set up somewhere? does western?

how long are these rotations and when they do them, do you guys have to find a place to stay or does the hospital find one for you?

Western has an affiliated Ortho residency at Riverside. I'm sure you can set it up easily if you're a student there.

Western has an affiliated Ortho residency at Riverside. I'm sure you can set it up easily if you're a student there.

oooooommmmmggggg,,,,, where is my western ii :eek: sorry to carry over pre health neurosis on to this forum

Members don't see this ad :)
If you just go by averages then you have a shot. Its a couple of years old, but the best data I know of. You can look here and dowlnoad the complete source yourself, but the orthopedic stats are attached in a file here.

Attachments

• ortho match 2009.doc
    146 KB · Views: 182

Wtf? I hardly know of any DO or MD schools that do that. Totally optional 4th year elective for the most part.

If you just go by averages then you have a shot. Its a couple of years old, but the best data I know of. You can look here and dowlnoad the complete source yourself, but the orthopedic stats are attached in a file here.

That file was MSK/OMT match numbers I think.

Anybody know the quality of this ortho residency at riverside?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Yes, I'd like to know about this, too.

i heard from a western alumni that their pd is from east coast so they hardly take western students (except this year). but it is very good and you do get to learn a lot. a lot like broward at NSU

Last edited:

NOPE, Ortho is a specialty, It's up to the student to do an ortho rotation. Not generally required. I didn't do an ortho rotation until I was a resident and even then it was a clinic only rotation becase I knew the OR was irrelevant to my world.

Level 1 Score 585, top 30% of my class

What are my chances at matching at an Ortho site in 2016

Level 1 Score 585, top 30% of my class

What are my chances at matching at an Ortho site in 2016

Won't get looked at places that like 600+, that list is fairly extensive. Check out programs that are not board heavy. i.e most programs in MI outside of St. John Oakland. Most Ohio Programs other than Doctors, Grandview, and Toledo. As well as Chicago program, which is not too board heavy.

Be prepared to be your very best on auditions. Read a ton, work hard, don't be a cut throat gunner.

Do you have a list of programs are board heavy?

how are programs Plainview, ? Rowan? York, PA? Florida programs?

Including those programs which require 600+, tell me, which are considered the top OGME accredited residency sites for ortho ?

There is no ranking for AOA ortho residencies. Your residency is what you make of it. I am a graduate of the Toledo program this past June. All three of us matched into fellowships, two of us matched into our first choice. Fellowship programs look at OITE scores whether you want to admit it or not, so look for a place with strong OITE scores, good out rotations, and good trauma experience.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no ranking for AOA ortho residencies. Your residency is what you make of it. I am a graduate of the Toledo program this past June. All three of us matched into fellowships, two of us matched into our first choice. Fellowship programs look at OITE scores whether you want to admit it or not, so look for a place with strong OITE scores, good out rotations, and good trauma experience.

Very cool. Would you say that extracurriculars played a role in your matching at Toledo? I am worried about having no medical missions to Uganda, or not taking a year off to complete an anatomy fellowship, or something of that nature. If I score 600+ on the COMLEX and Honors my ortho away rotation, is that really all I need?