MD Chances: International, Nanoengineering major, low GPA, late application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prdeeepg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I decided that I want to apply for medical school at the end of my second year when I got inspired by a MD/Phd program. So I looked into it and started to take classes necessary for the pre-med requirement courses. I took

chemistry 1 and 2 with lab
physics 1 and 2 with lab
organic chem 1 and 2 with lab
psychology and sociology
biochemistry
biological principles of nanoscale science and engineering
biological and chemical nano sensors
BIOLOGY 1 and lab

In the second semester of my third year I tried to sign up for the biology 2 class but I was considered a senior by then, so I wasn't able to take it. (at that time I didn't know that I could have taken it in some other college and transferred the credits in). So the premed advisor said that I can't apply since I don't have bio 2 which is needed to fill my pre-requires so I gave up on my dream for medical school and also nano classes got super tough and my GPA was plummeting.

Then recently about a month ago, I tried to see if this was possible again, so I signed up for a CELL BIOLOGY with lab class in HVCC and for the MCATS which is this coming August 22nd 2015.

So CURRENTLY, I am trying to finish up my AMCAS app and the only other document I need to fill in is to transfer the HVCC transcript (where i am taking the cell biology) to AMCAS but the problem is that the class ends at AUGUST 6th and I will only be able to send it in the week (AUG 9-15).

I read that it takes two weeks for the transcript to go to AMCAS so after that in the week of (AUG 23 - 29) I will be able to SUBMIT the application. Then this will take another 6 weeks for verification, so in the week of Sept 27 - Oct 3, I can apply for colleges. But I am afraid that by that time it will be almost late for some college since I will have to apply as an international.

SO I have a GPA of 3.34 (everyone in my class is a fxxxing valedictorian so the class is pretty competitive)
MCAT - in process - preparing very hard for it, hopefully this levels the fields
classes - in progress - will end in Aug 6th
application - in process - will be done by the week of aug 23-29
school list - working on it (thinking of applying to as many MD/PhD programs as possible
Research - I LOVE RESEARCH
i worked in two bio lab where I worked on 1) RNA n DNA- Imaging of DNA
2) patch clamping - vascular cardiac cells and their calcium mechanism
3) Carbon Nanotube degradation by enzymes and acids to separate metallic and semiconductor types
4) Single cell Carbon nanotube transistor.
5) CURRENTLY - in a semiconductor lab - in charge of growth and transfer of graphene, learning to make transistor devices and electrical characterization of Carbon based transistors.

Please give me some advice and encouragement. I dont want to give up yet.

WILL I MAKE IT????

Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-21_19-0-3.png
    upload_2015-7-21_19-0-3.png
    60 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Your gpa is low for MD and very low for MD/PhD.
You will need to purchase the MSAR to find the 62 MD schools that consider internationals and apply where your stats are at or above the median. Be sure to eliminate those that have not matriculated more than 1 or 2 in the last year.
If your MCAT comes in 510 or below, consider the 20 DO schools that have recently matriculated internationals.

Hi, I just received my scores for the september 2015 mcat I took. I got a 496 overall but it is a 37%. :grumpy::hurting::dead:

Good news is that I will be a permanent resident (same like a citizen status) within next month, so I can attend and apply to any colleges.

I have prepared a lot for my second test which I will be taking tomorrow. I will receive my score in october 23rd.

Is there any suggestions for me for medical school application like whether DO or MD? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well 496 = about a 23 on the old test so you aren't competitive for MD at all. So combined with your GPA don't think about MD/PhD or MD. A second MCAT score received in late October is not a good thing. Frankly your chances are slim. I'm not even sure what your DO chances are at this point.

Thank you very much for your insight candbgirl. Yes I must have started to prepare a little earlier for all this. I am thinking about trying again after 2 years of masters.

Thank you very much for your insight candbgirl. Yes I must have started to prepare a little earlier for all this. I am thinking about trying again after 2 years of masters.
Then I advise you to wait on the MCAT. Going from 496 to what you will need for an MD with that GPA (515+) seems very unlikely for an extra month of studying. Don't have two bad MCATs on your record. Do Masters, boost GPA, spend more time focusing on what went wrong with the MCAT

Don't retake the MCAT until you are likely to get a score consistent with success.
They remain visible forever. I just saw some (bad) MCAT scores from 1994.
Master's grades will not remediate weak undergrad performance and are not averaged into your gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
Come back after you get your next score.

Hi, I just received my scores for the september 2015 mcat I took. I got a 496 overall but it is a 37%. :grumpy::hurting::dead:

Good news is that I will be a permanent resident (same like a citizen status) within next month, so I can attend and apply to any colleges.

I have prepared a lot for my second test which I will be taking tomorrow. I will receive my score in october 23rd.

Is there any suggestions for me for medical school application like whether DO or MD? Thank you very much.