Chances @ Loma Linda/retaking the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdh08dmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! This forum seems to be a wealth of knowledge on these things, so I thought I'd ask. I am a post-bac RDH (5 yrs work exp) and recently took the DAT and got the following scores:
PAT: 22
RC: 25
QR: 19
BIO: 17
GC: 19
OC: 23
TS: 19
AA: 21

My low bio score bothers me, however, if it's not going to completely kill my chances for DDS admissions I would obviously rather not retake the exam. Most of the schools I applied to don't mind a 17 in one area, but Loma Linda "highly recommends" at least a 19. Thoughts on my chances? Thanks!
I have a 3.7 science/3.78 total GPA, 300ish volunteer hrs outside of work and about 250 hrs research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are SDA, then you should have nothing to worry about. The reserve 60 spots at least for SDA, and with your gpa and DAT scores, you would be competitive for one of those spots. If you are not SDA, it is up in the air what could happen. I would call the school and see what they recommend. I do know that this year the dental school only has 88 or so seats compared to the 100 all the previous years. It is my understanding that they want to lower enrollment down to 80 people per class. So if they drop the class size again this upcoming year, it will be slightly more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are SDA, then you should have nothing to worry about. The reserve 60 spots at least for SDA, and with your gpa and DAT scores, you would be competitive for one of those spots. If you are not SDA, it is up in the air what could happen. I would call the school and see what they recommend. I do know that this year the dental school only has 88 or so seats compared to the 100 all the previous years. It is my understanding that they want to lower enrollment down to 80 people per class. So if they drop the class size again this upcoming year, it will be slightly more competitive.

SDA is a lifestyle, or a religion, not something they can verify with your DNA (like ethnic background) so how do they go about doing this?

SDA is a lifestyle, or a religion, not something they can verify with your DNA (like ethnic background) so how do they go about doing this?

From what I've heard about Loma Linda, they can verify whether or not you're SDA by asking for a baptism certificate. I suppose when they ask for a letter from a spiritual advisor, the person writing your letter could also include something about being SDA in there. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked you questions about it during the interview too.

Yep, one of the lor's you need to apply to LLU is from a spiritual leader. If you are SDA, it needs to be from your SDA leader. They also have a question about religion on the supplementary app.

Yep, one of the lor's you need to apply to LLU is from a spiritual leader. If you are SDA, it needs to be from your SDA leader. They also have a question about religion on the supplementary app.

It doesn't need to be from an SDA leader, it can be from whoever that you consider a spiritual advisor.

Moreover, you can be SDA and not have a certificate. Like I said, it's not like you can prove it, and you can't disprove it either. It's a belief and it's something within you.

Granted, if I was non-SDA, I wouldn't want to live through 4 years of that.

Wrong. Have you filled out their secondary? SDA keep great records. Under the box to check "yes" if SDA, there is an additional line for what branch of the church as well as a record number. They do get verified. They can prove it and they do. You may not have conviction, but if you are a baptized member, there is a record of it and they do verify. I'm not SDA and will start there this fall.

Wrong. Have you filled out their secondary? SDA keep great records. Under the box to check "yes" if SDA, there is an additional line for what branch of the church as well as a record number. They do get verified. They can prove it and they do. You may not have conviction, but if you are a baptized member, there is a record of it and they do verify. I'm not SDA and will start there this fall.

When you put "yes" then check for the branch, you can put "non-applicable" but it won't let you go onto to the next page. It forces you to pick a branch or chapter before moving onto the next section of the appl.

My question is, what if you prescribe to the SDA faith and lifestyle but do not have a baptism certificate?

You have to be baptized to be considered sda, at least for schools sake. It's just like when I applied my son to catholic school, you had to show proof of being baptized in order to be considered catholic and even if you attend catholic church all the time and follow all the traditions, you are still not considered catholic on paper.

You have to be baptized to be considered sda, at least for schools sake. It's just like when I applied my son to catholic school, you had to show proof of being baptized in order to be considered catholic and even if you attend catholic church all the time and follow all the traditions, you are still not considered catholic on paper.

Eh, well the supplemental doesn't ask for certificate or whatever. Though I can probably get it before my interview (hopefully).

When you put "yes" then check for the branch, you can put "non-applicable" but it won't let you go onto to the next page. It forces you to pick a branch or chapter before moving onto the next section of the appl.

My question is, what if you prescribe to the SDA faith and lifestyle but do not have a baptism certificate?

What if you haven't been SDA but choose their faith and lifestyle and have a baptism certificate, does that qualify me to be a part of the SDA church?