Chances? Low undergrad GPA, MPH now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dad386

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Academic:
I'll be graduating with a cGPA: 3.4, sGPA: ~3.1.... not so hot, from NYU if that matters.
Psych major in undergrad. Will be working on my MPH at Yale School of Public Health (environmental health sciences), and take MCAT next summer.
NOTE: not taking MPH just to get into medschool, taking MPH because I love the subject matter and see it in making me a more well rounded physician- also want full 2 yr exp and more time for research etc.

Research/Work Experience:
Summer work at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center comparing chemotherapy effectiveness/building a model to better use MSKCC's database.
Renal cancer research one summer at Yale, resulted in publication (3rd author).
Will be doing further research this summer and next year, epigenetics as well as gene policy research.

Clinical exp.- (shadowing)
GP throughout highschool, Oncologist at Yale for one day, Thoracic surgeon at MSKCC for one day. More this summer/next year I guess- unless something other than shadowing would be better??

volunteering-
only this past semester at my schools student health center. nothing else :(

I love research, and would ideally go for an MD/PhD however I know they're incredibly selective.

The premed advisors at my school are horrible and without a 4.0 they tell you to give up on life. Any suggestions about EC's this summer/next year or general opinions about anything? kinda lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Well the MPH isn't going to help with your ugpa. what is your plan for raising that. grad programs are often inflated so they carry very very little weight.

I agree with the above, unless some hard science and math are included in your curriculum (which a few med schools will regard). You need to work on the BCPM GPA, which you can start now by taking undergrad science not required for your major, if they allow it.

Why is the BCPM low? Was it one bad semester and otherwise great grades, or B-ish grades throughout?

I'd suggest some primary care shadowing, more clinical volunteering on a regular basis, and some nonmedical community service. If a teaching opportunity comes with your masters, take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of ugpa, i dont think I'll be able to raise it by that much. I'll have the opportunity to take undergrad courses or even medschool courses at Yale. Not sure which would be better- assuming medschool course, no?
horrible undergrad physics experience here, B- both semesters, Orgo 1=B-, O2=B.

I'm assuming it would be better to take science courses geared towards my masters thesis/degree, so genetics and developmental bio. Or should I retake undergrad physics? idk if i'll have time to do both.

I don't suggest that you retake B range grades. I don't suggest that you take classes with med students, which are also viewed as grad level (unless you are in a recognized SMP).

All candidates are compared by undergrad grades. Only some schools are willing to consider grad-level grades, too. Even if your BCPM doesn't rise by much, those new undergrad upper-level Bio classes would be listed under Postbac and will be included in the undergrad BCPM. The separate line where the postbac grades are listed will make a steep upward grade trend evident if you get all As. If you don't get As, doing this won't help you. Taking undergrad Genetics and Developmental Bio would be fine. Physiology and Cell bio are helpful, too.

I don't suggest that you retake B range grades. I don't suggest that you take classes with med students, which are also viewed as grad level (unless you are in a recognized SMP).

All candidates are compared by undergrad grades. Only some schools are willing to consider grad-level grades, too. Even if your BCPM doesn't rise by much, those new undergrad upper-level Bio classes would be listed under Postbac and will be included in the undergrad BCPM. The separate line where the postbac grades are listed will make a steep upward grade trend evident if you get all As. If you don't get As, doing this won't help you. Taking undergrad Genetics and Developmental Bio would be fine. Physiology and Cell bio are helpful, too.

At Yale, Genetics, Repro Bio, and Dev Bio are seen as easy courses. Physio is challenging, but a well-taught class. Same goes to Path. Cell bio, if still taught by Tom Pollard, is notoriously difficult and if populated by hungry premeds. Tread carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD