Chances MD + DO -- Thoughts needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentofHonors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For MD: 3.55 cGPA, 3.66 sGPA

For DO: 3.55 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA

30 MCAT (11 p, 10 b, 9 v )

I am an African-American male
Hospital, community, volunteering
Public Health and chemistry research
Tons of Leadership experiences: Boards in student groups, etc.
I'd say my extracurricular activities are above average, but it's hard to know what average is around sdn.. haha..

I'd like to know chances at getting a good scholarship in both MD programs, and DO programs, and if the science GPA difference matters / can make DO schools a WHOLE lot less expensive.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

For MD: 3.55 cGPA, 3.66 sGPA

For DO: 3.55 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA

30 MCAT (11 p, 10 b, 9 v )

I am an African-American male
Hospital, community, volunteering
Public Health and chemistry research
Tons of Leadership experiences: Boards in student groups, etc.
I'd say my extracurricular activities are above average, but it's hard to know what average is around sdn.. haha..

I'd like to know chances at getting a good scholarship in both MD programs, and DO programs, and if the science GPA difference matters / can make DO schools a WHOLE lot less expensive.

Thanks!
You are competitive almost everywhere except for the top 20 and schools with regional bias...

You are competitive almost everywhere except for the top 20 and schools with regional bias...

That sounds good! The biggest deterrent for me from med school is really finances, and i am hoping that i can somehow get a scholarship from somewhere. Do you believe i have a much greater chance at DO schools of obtaining scholarships than MD schools? My sGPA is almost .1 greater (stupid calculus 2 haha :p) at DO schools.

Also is waiting another year to get a 4.0 :D during my senior year, which boosts my stats roughly another .1 points good?

As in
MD: cGPA: 3.66, sGPA: 3.74
DO: cGPA: 3.66, sGPA: 3.81

Then what are my chances at landing Scholarships?

Thoughts, and ideas are appreciated! Thanks!