Chances next cycle - good GPA/bad MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bea524

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.77 cumulative and 3.75 science GPA, 28Q (10BS/9PS/9VR) MCAT.

EC's are

- 200 hours clinical volunteering over 15 month span
- 15 hours shadowing radiologist, 20 hours shadowing pediatrician, 20 hours shadowing ER doc.
- TA organic chem lab 2 semesters, general chem lab 1 semester
- Club president

No research, not a URM.

Whatcha think?

Members don't see this ad.

beef up your MCAT. That's probably the easiest thing to fix in your application.

3.77 cumulative and 3.75 science GPA, 28Q (10BS/9PS/9VR) MCAT.

EC's are

- 200 hours clinical volunteering over 15 month span
- 15 hours shadowing radiologist, 20 hours shadowing pediatrician, 20 hours shadowing ER doc.
- TA organic chem lab 2 semesters, general chem lab 1 semester
- Club president

No research, not a URM.

Whatcha think?
What is your home state?
Consider getting in some nonmedical community service.
Don't forget to list hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors.
What duid you accomplish as a club president?
Are you considering a research experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im pretty sure your still competitive, but since your applying next cycle you should just retake the MCAT to be more competitive.

The numbers look good, but the MCAT is low.

The rest of your application is going to be important because of the low MCAT...especially the PS, ACtivities, and LORs.

I feel like based on GPA alone you are strong, and the clinical exp is great.

What is your home state?
Consider getting in some nonmedical community service.
Don't forget to list hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors.
What duid you accomplish as a club president?
Are you considering a research experience?
Home state is Michigan, nothing really noteworthy as president of the club (it was pretty small too).

As for research I got a job as a research assistant starting June but that will be after I finish my app (so basically it's what I'm doing during my year off).

Any thoughts on this?

1) Home state is Michigan,
2) nothing really noteworthy as president of the club (it was pretty small too).
3)As for research I got a job as a research assistant starting June but that will be after I finish my app (so basically it's what I'm doing during my year off).

Any thoughts on this?
1) You have a few somewhat lenient schools in your state where the MCAT of 28 might fly if you don't want to retake.

2) Consider doing more than just lead meetings. Use your power as a springboard to helping others. Example: everyone bring two can goods to meetings and donate it to a food pantry.

3) Consider delaying submission of the application until after the job orientation so you can include the research gig on the application.

You have a good chunk of time before you submit, so continue to beef up your activities until that time.