Chances of Acceptance? Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podiatry3333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.58 cumulative/3.39 science (upward trend w. last 2 years of 4.0's)
508 MCAT (130/124/128/126)
1000 clinical hours+
research
shadowing 100+
employment 2000+
earned a double degree (physiology + public health)

Can I get into Pod school? Also what is the likelihood I get offered a scholarship?

Also is the application track different for podiatry than med? My understanding is I can apply to a school like temple this April and start this august?

Members don't see this ad.

First off you have pretty darn solid stats overall. Like I would tell anyone at this stage in the game it all depends on where you desire to go, be that based on geography or what you want from a program. There are those that are very strongly academic (DMU, AZPOD, WesternU) or those with big clinics (Scholl, Temple, NYCPM, Barry) this, that and the other. At this point in the game some of the smaller schools are basically full and only interviewing for waitlist spots (DMU, AZPOD, and WesternU I know are full or very close to being there). That being said I know there is still movement just about everywhere and you'll get the education you need no matter what 9 you may end up. But yes, it would be possible to apply in April, and start this August if everything goes right. I've read of this happening but almost exclusively at the larger programs. Keep in mind it's going to take time to get verified by AACPMAS and for them to get all of your materials. If you're applying last minute due to no acceptances at MD/DO schools then you'll 1) Definitely need to make sure you want this and 2) Tailor your application to a podiatric med admissions board. The application process requires you to indicate if you've applied to other medical professions as well. As for scholarships that's going to be a tough one to answer. You may go over to this thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aacpmas-2015-2016-cycle.1154114/) and see if anyone recently accepted has received one. Generally the good scholarships go to those who get accepted early on. And I'd honestly say if Temple is your first choice you have a pretty decent shot at one since they weight their scholarships 2/3 MCAT 1/3 GPA from what I've read but like I said not sure on availability.
The application process or any other questions you might have can be explained to you here: -> http://aacpm.org/html/careerzone/cz3_faqs.asp

The short answer is.. Do you have pod shadowing experience? If you do you may have a small chance at some of the big schools if you apply ASAP, scholarship possibly but it won't be much.

If you wait to apply at the beginning of next cycle, with your stats you can get in anywhere and will receive a scholarship. As long as you don't blow the interview. Make sure you get that pod shadowing done though because most schools require a pod LOR

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm accepted and most likely going to Temple. I have a 3.2 science and 3.4 GPA from a good state school and a 508 mcat al0ng with research, leadership, hospital volunteering, and MD and DPM shadowing. I applied in late january, interviewed at NYCPM and Temple mid febuary and it only took my application a couple days to verify once my transcripts and mcat were received. I got interview invites to NYCPM and Temple right away and was accepted to both. Long story short one of the students at Temple I ate lunch with on my interview day was accepted in April or May so its possible and he didn't even have a LOR when he had his interview and was told his acceptance was conditional till he got one in. Temple only guarantees scholarship money (well at least this is how it is for my scholarship offer) for the first year so you could possibly earn scholarship every other year based off performance. I didn't decide on Podiatry until the summer and fall so i would shadow and research the profession to make sure your not just using it as a backup to MD/DO because those interview cycles just ended (I have a lot of friends in those application cycles this year). As someone who applied to MD at one point, i really enjoyed shadowing podiatrist and am very excited to begin school. you can PM me if you have any questions.

Hi everyone thanks for the information! I really appreciate it.

@Sweatshirt I still haven't shadowed, but I have a lot of experience working in diabetes and wound care clinics, and I've seen a lot of minor procedures (i.e. ingrown toenails, bunionectomies, some derm, etc.). Also, I think I can easily shadow a couple of podiatrists whose said they'd be willing to take me in to check it out.

Podiatry has been on my mind for a while, so I'm trying to do my research as best I can. I think if I go into podiatry I'd really like to get into foot ankle reconstruction and some sports medicine, with the minor procedures as my staple. Generally, how competitive is that route? The one thing I am concerned about is the overlap between Ortho and Podiatry. Do you guys think there's a lot of competition between the two?

At the end of the day, I think I'm just the kind of person who loves to work with their hands, do a lot of procedures, and more or less help people especially with regards to restoring function and movement, and I feel like podiatry offers me everything I want out of a career that I can get in medicine except with a higher opportunity to do surgery without the stress of constant life threatening situations. Also, it's pretty cool that you get to do a little bit of everything, and I really don't mind feet lol!

If I wanted to get into a top foot ankle reconstruction program, would temple be my best bet? I live close to DC, so I think it would be the closest to home as well.

Also @bschlak728 can I pm you about the scholarship? I'm assuming the pod cycle is coming to a close...so if I applied by august (is that when it opens up?), do you think I can land a pretty decent one granted I get my shadowing in?

Additionally, I still haven't applied to MD or DO schools, so I think I'm in a fairly unique position!

@Sweatshirt Have you decided if you're going to DMU or KSU yet?
Yeah I decided on Kent. I loved both schools and knew I could be successful at either so I decided based on my favorite location

Hi everyone thanks for the information! I really appreciate it.

@Sweatshirt I still haven't shadowed, but I have a lot of experience working in diabetes and wound care clinics, and I've seen a lot of minor procedures (i.e. ingrown toenails, bunionectomies, some derm, etc.). Also, I think I can easily shadow a couple of podiatrists whose said they'd be willing to take me in to check it out.

Podiatry has been on my mind for a while, so I'm trying to do my research as best I can. I think if I go into podiatry I'd really like to get into foot ankle reconstruction and some sports medicine, with the minor procedures as my staple. Generally, how competitive is that route? The one thing I am concerned about is the overlap between Ortho and Podiatry. Do you guys think there's a lot of competition between the two?

At the end of the day, I think I'm just the kind of person who loves to work with their hands, do a lot of procedures, and more or less help people especially with regards to restoring function and movement, and I feel like podiatry offers me everything I want out of a career that I can get in medicine except with a higher opportunity to do surgery without the stress of constant life threatening situations. Also, it's pretty cool that you get to do a little bit of everything, and I really don't mind feet lol!

If I wanted to get into a top foot ankle reconstruction program, would temple be my best bet? I live close to DC, so I think it would be the closest to home as well.

Also @bschlak728 can I pm you about the scholarship? I'm assuming the pod cycle is coming to a close...so if I applied by august (is that when it opens up?), do you think I can land a pretty decent one granted I get my shadowing in?

Additionally, I still haven't applied to MD or DO schools, so I think I'm in a fairly unique position!
Like I said, with your good stats you still have a chance this cycle, but you'll need to submit your app and shadow ASAP. If you decide to wait until next cycle and just shadow all summer, you'll definitely get in somewhere. Keep us posted and let us know your decision/how it goes!