Chances of acceptance to International Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScatmanCrothers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for the Fall 2015 cycle to a slew of US medical schools (mostly DO), but as it is getting later into the application cycle, my prospects aren't looking very good. I have already applied to American University of the Caribbean and was offered an interview, but want to consider other non-Caribbean schools as an option as well. I am wondering which ones I have a shot at getting into and would suit my future goals.

My goals: I eventually want to work in international emergency medicine. I love traveling and plan on spending a lot of my time as a physician doing so, but would like to have the option of a stable ED job in a non 3rd world country while not traveling, or if I eventually decide to settle down with a family. Thus I am not too picky about which country I attend medical school in so long as it can prepare me for some sort of stable ED job in a reasonably comfortable country, and it would be a huge plus if it prepared me to work in multiple countries as this would facilitate my travel bug.

My core credentials:
cGPA: 3.2 sGPA: 2.9 MCAT: 36
Biopsychology B.S. from UC Santa Barbara 2012
1 year as a neuropharmacology research assistant without publication
1 year as a mental health counselor at a psychiatric center
1.5 years as an ED scribe
6 months as a volunteer scribe for a non-profit family healthcare clinic in an underserved area of California

Languages: I only speak English completely fluently, but I give my Spanish a 4/5, which I picked up during 3 weeks of traveling in Peru, so I am hoping I can learn another language pretty quickly if necessary.

Any recommendations on schools to look into would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.atlanticbridge.com/medicine/

Look at Ireland. I would stay in the US if possible, but worth an application to Ireland.

Australia may be willing to consider you as well. There is a program called UQ-O which allows you to do 2 years of clinical rotations in the US, they will surely take you their average GPA is around yours maybe higher but their MCAT is only 28.

Awesome, I will check those out, thanks! Do you know if going to school in Ireland or Australia would prepare me to work only in those countries or others as well? And if I decided to apply for a US residency afterwards would I be better off as a Caribbean grad or an Irish/Australian grad? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, I will check those out, thanks! Do you know if going to school in Ireland or Australia would prepare me to work only in those countries or others as well? And if I decided to apply for a US residency afterwards would I be better off as a Caribbean grad or an Irish/Australian grad? Thanks!

I believe both countries pretty much will allow you to do an internship there for 1 year but beyond that for Ireland you need to be an EU citizen. For Australia you'll need to get PR first.

They both prepare you in the sense that you can return to the US if you do well on your boards. I think it depends, the Caribbean carries a bit of a stigma, but on the flip side they have 2 years of clinical rotations in the US. I think a school like UQ-O will be the best of both worlds. Match rates are higher in Ireland and Australia but the entrance requirements are higher as well so really its hard to say whether going there prepares you better.

I see. Thanks a ton for all the info, I really appreciate it. I will have to do some digging to check those schools out in depth