Chances of Acceptance? With following GPA...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skkalkat92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think my chances of getting into dental school are with a overall science GPA in the range of (3.1-3.2) My undergraduate sGPA was very low (below a 3.0) and this year i enrolled in a master's program and was able to bring my science GPA up. My overall GPA is around a 3.6 overall. Graduate GPA's are overall 3.9 and science 3.86. It's just my undergraduate science GPA that's holding me down. What are yall's thoughts on my chances of getting in this next year (hopefully oner of the Texas schools)? Also my DAT score is AA20 but I plan on retaking it later this summer once i finish my master's program to get a better score hopefully.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys think my chances of getting into dental school are with a overall science GPA in the range of (3.1-3.2) My undergraduate sGPA was very low (below a 3.0) and this year i enrolled in a master's program and was able to bring my science GPA up. My overall GPA is around a 3.6 overall. Graduate GPA's are overall 3.9 and science 3.86. It's just my undergraduate science GPA that's holding me down. What are yall's thoughts on my chances of getting in this next year (hopefully oner of the Texas schools)? Also my DAT score is AA20 but I plan on retaking it later this summer once i finish my master's program to get a better score hopefully.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
When you enroll in a SMP or Masters program, you calculate a new cum gpa and sci gpa solely based on the grades on that program.
Grad level courses have no bearing or influence on undergrad gpas, only undergrad courses will, such as informal postbacc courses.

Note that adcoms will look at both sets if gpas. They should respect your graduate coursework. Keep it up.

Your chances of getting in somewhere are good. Unless you are a Texas resident your chances of getting into a Texas school are 0%. Don't mean to be blatant, but I wouldn't even apply to Texas schools if you aren't a resident. I applied to Baylor and San Antonio with a 3.92 GPA and 3.92 sGPA and a 22 DAT. Didn't even get an interview. Stick to your state schools and a bunch of private schools and you'll be fine! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. I got accepted with almost the exact same science and graduate gpa's. Just make sure you have good shadowing, volunteer, and extra-curricular activities and you'll get multiple interviews. Just be sure to apply lots of places. 10-15 schools is the average people apply to.

Your chances of getting in somewhere are good. Unless you are a Texas resident your chances of getting into a Texas school are 0%. Don't mean to be blatant, but I wouldn't even apply to Texas schools if you aren't a resident. I applied to Baylor and San Antonio with a 3.92 GPA and 3.92 sGPA and a 22 DAT. Didn't even get an interview. Stick to your state schools and a bunch of private schools and you'll be fine! Good luck!

I'm a Texas resident! So that's why I'm really hoping to get into one of the Texas schools

Well then you should apply to a couple of them. Check out doc toothache's stat sheet on dental schools if you want to know what the average scores and GPAs are for the different schools to see what your chances are..