Chances of an English major with mediocre GPA getting into MSW program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BadAtSports

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a new member to this site but I've spent some time going through the forums and looking for an answer to my question. Most of the people here have had better GPAs and psych majors, so I haven't been able to find a relevant answer to my question..

I majored in English Lit for my undergrad. My cumulative GPA is 3.29. I took two introductory psychology courses and a social science course. My GPA for those classes was 3.8. I graduated in 2009. I was more shy during college so I didn't make any great connections; i'd be surprised if most of my professors remember me after all of these years. I might be able to get them to write letters of recommendation but they would probably be generic.

I was actually looking forward to taking the GREs because I test well and I thought that a good score would make up for the not-so-stellar GPA and recommendations. Unfortunately the two programs in my state do not require GREs.

The programs I'd like to apply to are pretty good. One is a state school that is ranked 26 in social work according to US news and the other is a private school ranked 40-something.

So what are my chances? How competitive are MSW programs? Do I have a shot where I stand right now?

Members don't see this ad.

I was actually looking forward to taking the GREs because I test well and I thought that a good score would make up for the not-so-stellar GPA and recommendations. Unfortunately the two programs in my state do not require GREs.

I can't say a lot about this because after weighing my options I didn't go the SW route, but I can say is that, from what I've read, you can always take and report the GRE and stellar scores can help you overcome some of the other limitations (low GPA).

The programs I'd like to apply to are pretty good. One is a state school that is ranked 26 in social work according to US news and the other is a private school ranked 40-something.

Generally, I would avoid sites like US News. Develop your own list of what you want to get out of any program and look for those criterion in each program. There's a book that you can get for a few dollars for the kindle app and it will discuss SW programs.

So what are my chances? How competitive are MSW programs? Do I have a shot where I stand right now?

You really never know based on the year and what the other applicants are like. I'd say that you could probably get in somewhere. Since you're so far out of school you may be able to get a supervisor to fill out one of the letter forms or start volunteering at human service organizations to get relevant recommendation sources.

I really think that it is going to be difficult for you to get in without relevant experience and/or high GPA. I know that a GPA of 3.29 doesn't keep you out of MSW programs, but from what I understand the way they start to weed out applicants is by looking at relevant experience. MSW programs are big on experience, thus the heavy number of practicum hours etc. Now obviously people just graduating at 22 won't have a ton of life experience, but they really still like to see volunteer hours, anything to show that you have extensive experience with varied populations etc. They might take someone just fresh out of college with a stellar GPA who has less volunteer experience due to their age. I don't think your English degree alone would be a stumbling block to you getting in.

I was accepted this fall to an MSW program, and in the acceptance letter they mentioned that there were 3x the number of applicants. I've heard the same from various people in various fields on other forums. I'm guessing everyone did the same thing I did -- go back to school during the recession hahaha. So it seems there is more competition than normal.

I also second what MBellows said, you can get letters of recommendation from supervisors, MSW programs usually don't have an issue with that. My letter writers were to be someone who I had worked with in some capacity or professors. No friends and family were the stipulations. Several people I know used letters from their contact at the place they'd been volunteering.

Good luck with your applications! Also, if you have the spare cash for the application fees, I don't think it would hurt to apply this year. If they turn you down, you can ask WHY you were turned down, and you could get an excellent picture of exactly what those specific schools are looking for. Also, I've been told that applying twice does not count against you, rather schools at least know you are serious about pursuing the MSW route. If anyone knows different, it would be nice to hear another opinion on that.

Hi, I am a new member to this site but I've spent some time going through the forums and looking for an answer to my question. Most of the people here have had better GPAs and psych majors, so I haven't been able to find a relevant answer to my question..

I majored in English Lit for my undergrad. My cumulative GPA is 3.29. I took two introductory psychology courses and a social science course. My GPA for those classes was 3.8. I graduated in 2009. I was more shy during college so I didn't make any great connections; i'd be surprised if most of my professors remember me after all of these years. I might be able to get them to write letters of recommendation but they would probably be generic.

Don't use US News as a indicator of competitiveness. What are you looking to do in Social Work?