Chances of being accepted...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

versace

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
if I send in all three of my LORs now, personal statement, gpa, etc. BUT I send in my DAT scores January 1st (the last day that my school accepts them). Assuming all my other stats are above average do I have a good chance at being accepted, particularly because I am submitting before the deadline?
EDIT:school says they will not begin considering you until DAT scores are in

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3.8sgpa, 100 shadowing, 300 volunteering,1 year of research, LORs are from really big people

Reactions: 1 user
3.8sgpa, 100 shadowing, 300 volunteering,1 year of research, LORs are from really big people

how big are your really big people? size and dimensions please?

from your post you only accept to 1 dental school?

January is considered too late. Interviews in april and march are mostly for waitlist

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how big are your really big people? size and dimensions please?

from your post you only accept to 1 dental school?

January is considered too late. Interviews in april and march are mostly for waitlist
I'm only applying to one and I know its late but Its not TOO late because its within their deadline
"Applications will not be considered before DAT⤷ scores are submitted. The latest date to submit DAT scores for consideration is January 1, 2016."

There is basically zero chance you will get in if your application isn't complete until Jan 1st. Schools start interviewing in a month or so, mostly in the fall, announce first round decisions Dec 1st, then second round early Jan.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm only applying to one and I know its late but Its not TOO late because its within their deadline

In that case, you have NO chance of getting in. They aren't talking about getting your DAT in by Jan 1st, they are talking about completing your application, the stuff that comes AFTER your initial application. Why would you go through the time and effort to only apply to one school and then put all of your hopes on an application that is sent in AFTER they have accepted most of their class already???

Then, what happens if you get a 12 on your DAT???

Your chances are up in the air. If they like you enough and the class is full, they will invite you for interview for a waitlist position. After that, your chances depend solely on your stat and how your interview went. Spots always open up for some people to get in from the waitlist.

In that case, you have NO chance of getting in. They aren't talking about getting your DAT in by Jan 1st, they are talking about completing your application, the stuff that comes AFTER your initial application. Why would you go through the time and effort to only apply to one school and then put all of your hopes on an application that is sent in AFTER they have accepted most of their class already???

Then, what happens if you get a 12 on your DAT???
Not gunna happen

There is basically zero chance you will get in if your application isn't complete until Jan 1st. Schools start interviewing in a month or so, mostly in the fall, announce first round decisions Dec 1st, then second round early Jan.

Many schools offer interviews for the waitlist position after the class is full and you can still get in if you are good enough and rank high in the waitlist.

submitting the DAT that late you might as well wait for another 5 months and make first batch in the next cycle.
That was originally the plan but I will recieve my B.S. at the end of next year and will be traveling around a lot afterwards, so if interviews and additional paperwork are required in the Fall I probably won't be home to take care of it. My intention was to apply this cycle and then defer admission (school allows this) for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.

If you are planning on deferring anyways and are only applying to one school I would definitely apply.

However you probably won't get in. But you are deferring anyways so the next cycle you will be sitting pretty which wouldn't put you behind as it is.

I'm only applying to one and I know its late

First off, KUDOS on the great stats. Amazing GPA, great ECs. I think you'll do well on the DAT if past performance is any indicator to go by. I think that you could have a fighting chance this cycle.

I believe that @I want to go to there is giving you a practical assessment of the situation. It could go either way. Your stats are definitely a big positive, but the lateness of your application (Relative to other applicants) is working against you. However, if I interpreted what you're said in your opening post correctly, then the fact that you have LoRs from some extremely influential people will certainly help the adcom overlook the late application....especially if the "big people" are donors or alumni.

Best of luck!

Just curious though- why are you only applying to one school?

I am a Floridian and can see myself only going to school/living in Florida so that leaves UF and Nova, and I already go to UF for undergrad

The app I can submit now, the only thing that would be delayed is the DAT and if there are subsequent forms like one user mentioned then that as well

Why are you waiting until January to take your DAT? If you can take your DAT later this summer or even early fall you would have a substantially higher chance at getting in assuming you do well on it.

2 reasons:
1)I started studying for the DAT beginning of June and instead of an intense 2.5 months of studying I'm going to do a bit more casual 5-6 month study
2)I qualify for a fee waiver for the DAT, unfortunately the earliest I can use it is January (I have emailed them to see if they would allow me to use it late Nov/early Dec, awaiting response)

2 reasons:
1)I started studying for the DAT beginning of June and instead of an intense 2.5 months of studying I'm going to do a bit more casual 5-6 month study
2)I qualify for a fee waiver for the DAT, unfortunately the earliest I can use it is January (I have emailed them to see if they would allow me to use it late Nov/early Dec, awaiting response)

So, you want to save $415 to spend $668 (the cost of applying to 1 school over 2 cycles)?

So, you want to save $415 to spend $668 (the cost of applying to 1 school over 2 cycles)?
Actually that $668 is also covered by a fee waiver and hopefully the task would be done within one cycle

Your DAT scores still take several weeks to be processed so they wouldn't be sent out to the schools until later in January anyway which would be well past the deadlines.

Actually that $668 is also covered by a fee waiver and hopefully the task would be done within one cycle

You can only use the waiver once though so no, the costs are not covered.

Last year NOVA had 2901 applicants, interviewed 54 in-state applicants and accepted 20% of those in-staters that interviewed....why do you think this is a good idea?

Reactions: 1 users
Your DAT scores still take several weeks to be processed so they wouldn't be sent out to the schools until later in January anyway which would be well past the deadlines.
Well that simplifies my decision in the form of an ultimatum, if the email I sent them is denied then I will apply next cycle, if not I will try my hand at this cycle, thank you

You can only use the waiver once though so no, the costs are not covered.

Last year NOVA had 2901 applicants, interviewed 54 in-state applicants and accepted 20% of those in-staters that interviewed....why do you think this is a good idea?
You should really make sure you know what you're talking about before you post, you can use it three times

And I have made my decision so you can stop with your words of encouragement

"There is basically zero chance you will get in"

"you have NO chance of getting in"

"why do you think this is a good idea?"

Last edited:
You should really make sure you know what you're talking about before you post, you can use it three times

Ok, I was thinking of the DAT fee waiver which you can only use once. But, it is not a guaranty that you will get the waiver either. Plus:

"An applicant must complete eSubmit their ADEA AADSAS application. ADEA AADSAS recommends that you apply to FAP at least 2 weeks before your earliest dental school designations deadline. This includes completing the FAP section, eSubmitting, and sending all required documents (FAP Packet) to ADEA AADSAS for review. This allows adequate time for you to complete the FAP process and receive a decision from ADEA AADSAS concerning your request.

Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.

If you are planning on deferring anyways and are only applying to one school I would definitely apply.

However you probably won't get in. But you are deferring anyways so the next cycle you will be sitting pretty which wouldn't put you behind as it is.

:thumbup:

tMlN5ig.gif

Reactions: 4 users
@versace if you already made up your mind (i think you did before you post this) then why the heck you posted and wasted people's time?

learn how to be humble and comment on the internet with courtesy. If you can't say nice thing back then don't say it at all (these people give you suggestions that you ASKED for)

Btw, although your GPA is great, but there is always bigger fish in the sea.

@versace if you already made up your mind (i think you did before you post this) then why the heck you posted and wasted people's time?

learn how to be humble and comment on the internet with courtesy. If you can't say nice thing back then don't say it at all (these people give you suggestions that you ASKED for)

Btw, although your GPA is great, but there is always bigger fish in the sea.
lol you're an idiot, I don't see anywhere that I wasn't "humble" or "courteous" except in this response because you seem to be confused. And I made my decision based on cdp's post so calm down

I second that, the way you reply to people that YOU asked for help comes off very arrogant and defensive. Lets hope those big people writing your LOR is enough to get you in. Good luck on the interview.

I second that, the way you reply to people that YOU asked for help comes off very arrogant and defensive. Lets hope those big people writing your LOR is enough to get you in. Good luck on the interview.
Please give an example

Not gunna happen

And I have made my decision so you can stop with your words of encouragement

"why do you think this is a good idea?"

lol you're an idiot, I don't see anywhere that I wasn't "humble" or "courteous" except in this response because you seem to be confused. And I made my decision based on cdp's post so calm down

Please give an example

See above...including your edited pretty nasty answers...

Please give an example
"You should really make sure you know what you're talking about before you post" --> Could have been said in a nicer manner.

"And I have made my decision so you can stop with your words of encouragement

"why do you think this is a good idea?"" --> Sarcasm not necessary.

And even though you said you were not courteous or humble in your response to darknightzzz, your first reaction to a comment like that is to call someone an "idiot"? I think that says something.

As long as you submit the application on AADSAS before the deadline, it will get sent to the school and the schools may review it.

OP, do whatever you want, but I don't understand why you wouldn't man up and take the DAT within couple months, increase of chance of getting in a year early, and have an extra year of income. From what I've read from your previous post, money is one of the motivators of your wanting to become a dentist. Grow some balls and willpower and apply earlier so you can potentially make 200k+ more(possible even right after you graduate under the right circumstance).

"You should really make sure you know what you're talking about before you post" --> Could have been said in a nicer manner.

"And I have made my decision so you can stop with your words of encouragement

"why do you think this is a good idea?"" --> Sarcasm not necessary.

And even though you said you were not courteous or humble in your response to darknightzzz, your first reaction to a comment like that is to call someone an "idiot"? I think that says something.

The "why do you think this is a good idea" was something I posted and was in no way sarcasm, it was an honest question to a very perplexing situation.

yeap the only infinite thing is the university and human stupidity.

Fine, you are courteous. Please give me the sizes and dimensions of your really big LOR (letter of recommendations) writers.

I got mine from a lecturer that weight only 130lb, a dude with 150lb, and a dentist that is only 150lb. I must be screwed now.

Versace, with all do respect, if you want to work in a profession like Dentistry, you should have a better attitude and respect towards others.

The "why do you think this is a good idea" was something I posted and was in no way sarcasm, it was an honest question to a very perplexing situation.
I was referring to the entire quote (i.e. "Stop with your words of encouragement.")

Versace, with all do respect, if you want to be work in a profession like Dentistry, you should have a better attitude and respect towards others.

or a sensitive mind to pick up language cues in other people's words. =_______= gg OP

See above...including your edited pretty nasty answers...
You:Then, what happens if you get a 12 on your DAT???
Me:Not gunna happen

You:Then, what happens if you get a 12 on your DAT???
Me:Not gunna happen

It was an honest question with a smart alack response. How do you know you won't bomb the DAT?

As long as you submit the application on AADSAS before the deadline, it will get sent to the school and the schools may review it.

OP, do whatever you want, but I don't understand why you wouldn't man up and take the DAT within couple months, increase of chance of getting in a year early, and have an extra year of income. From what I've read from your previous post, money is one of the motivators of your wanting to become a dentist. Grow some balls and willpower and apply earlier so you can potentially make 200k+ more(possible even right after you graduate under the right circumstance).
I am a freshman who will be a sophomore this Fall, I graduated high school with my AA so I am already pretty ahead in years, I'm taking it slow because I've already been grinding

It was an honest question with a smart alack response. How do you know you won't bomb the DAT?
It was an ignorant question, what makes you think I would bomb it? And why did all your posts have "???" behind them, looked like you were pretty mad

or a sensitive mind to pick up language cues in other people's words. =_______= gg OP
lol aren't you the person who got offended when I said I wouldn't score a 12 on the DAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.