Chances of DO vs. Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadian128

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After having done lots of research on IMG (St George) and DO residency matches as well as all the other stuff affiliated with that, I'm now reconsidering mainland MD simply because I don't think I have the test scores for it. But now I'm wondering, how likely is an acceptance to each?

cGPA - 3.52, sGPA - 3.24, MCAT - 24, 498

I'm leaning towards DO simply because of the match rate for residencies over SGU, but my dad (a physician who is IMG but has other friends from SGU at Harvard) won't let go that it's better to go caribbean over DO. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh boy, I get to be the first one to reply to one of these!

*Clears throat* - IN THE ALMIGHTY NAME OF @Goro :

DO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caribbean.

Reactions: 8 users
Your stats are lethal for US MD schools ,and marginal for DO schools, but if you apply broadly, you should get some nibbles.

SGU and it's diploma-mill brethren are fine if you like the idea of being deeply in debt and unemployed.

Does your dad really want to destroy your medical career? He's doing a very good job at it. Times have changed from when he was in med school.

After having done lots of research on IMG (St George) and DO residency matches as well as all the other stuff affiliated with that, I'm now reconsidering mainland MD simply because I don't think I have the test scores for it. But now I'm wondering, how likely is an acceptance to each?

I'm leaning towards DO simply because of the match rate for residencies over SGU, but my dad (a physician who is IMG but has other friends from SGU at Harvard) won't let go that it's better to go caribbean over DO. What should I do?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

You got to explain to your dad that there are surveys published by the NMRP of program directors that state they prefer osteopathic applications. Also explain to him that a large amount of students from the carribean don't finish while almost all DO students graduate and get a residency. Explain to him that DOs have access to their own residency programs while sgu has none. You should also point out how you would rather not live in a third world country.

If he doesn't listen time to grow some balls and do what's best for you

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the above posters: DO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Caribbean, any and every day

Are you Canadian (asking because of the username)?
If yes, also consider this: if you go to a DO school, you would have a fair shot at several residency programs (though not all), but as an SGU graduate you would not only have studied outside of the US, but as a Canadian, you would also have visa issues... that is a terrible situation to be in especially 5+ years from now when you will graduate because the number of residency positions for IMGs would be considerably low.

Be really really really careful of where you go for medschool, and sit down with your dad and explain everything to him or make him read all these responses!

Reactions: 2 users
Your stats are lethal for US MD schools ,and marginal for DO schools, but if you apply broadly, you should get some nibbles.

SGU and it's diploma-mill brethren are fine if you like the idea of being deeply in debt and unemployed.

Does your dad really want to destroy our medical career? He's doing a very good job at it. Times have changed from when he was in med school.

what would you recommend for the person who can't get into a DO school? Dental school?

I was accepted at SGU and AUC. As the time got closer to leaving, I realized how terrible the option was. SGU had 800 people start in their fall semester this year. They don't have the space for it. 50% of students will decel, meaning they have to repeat a semester, which isn't covered under financial aid. With the ACGME merger, residencies for IMGs are going to be even harder to get.
I decided to turn down my acceptances in hopes of getting a DO acceptance (my stats are all within 1 point difference of yours) and got 3.
I've kept in touch with some of the people who ended up matriculating at SGU. Here is a blog post that one of them just sent me to show how awful it has been:

http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu

Also, you do realize that you are the one that has to live with your decision of where to attend school and not your father, right? I have nothing against IMGs and honestly, some people there really are awesome students. My doctor was a graduate of SGU and she was awesome. But, why not set yourself up for a path that will provide you with a lot more opportunities instead? I think it's a great option as a last resort if you absolutely know that medicine is what you want to do.

Thanks everyone for the swift responses! I know it's a dead-beating of the horse type of question, but it was geared less at which one is better vs. which one I have a better chance at matriculating into as of right now, but I digress. I've been telling him these things for a while but that old-school mindset just doesn't wear off. I myself have much more interest in the philosophy of DO schools too, which I think will be the route I chose if I can get into them after seeing thousands of DO vs. Caribbean threads

a
Agree with the above posters: DO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Caribbean, any and every day

Are you Canadian (asking because of the username)?
If yes, also consider this: if you go to a DO school, you would have a fair shot at several residency programs (though not all), but as an SGU graduate you would not only have studied outside of the US, but as a Canadian, you would also have visa issues... that is a terrible situation to be in especially 5+ years from now when you will graduate because the number of residency positions for IMGs would be considerably low.

Be really really really careful of where you go for medschool, and sit down with your dad and explain everything to him or make him read all these responses!

I am, but have a US greencard so I get the luxury of applying as an US PR :D

a

I am, but have a US greencard so I get the luxury of applying as an US PR :D

At least in Canada.. DOs are seen as IMGs, so your dad isn't completely wrong in Canada's context. This is changing however.