Chances of Getting Acceptance at Texas Allopathic School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinydancer23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to all schools in Texas this cycle, except for UNTHSC. Did not apply to any AMCAS school besides Baylor. I just received my MCAT score today (28 - 8/10/10) and it was my third trial. Previous two - 25 both times. I studied more than I thought I could study this past summer, and I don't know if it's my test-taking ability or what, but I just couldn't break a 30. It's disappointing, but it is what it is. My GPA is currently a 3.61 (3.43 BCPM) and there is an upward trend in my grades. I'm graduating this December as well. I have shadowed 140+ hours, volunteered for 100+ hours in a clinical setting, research experience, served as orientation leader for two years, peer mentor for a freshman class, tutored in various subjects (science, writing, psychology) for two years, President of our AED chapter, and I've been a classical dancer for 14+ years. I have a strong personal statement (opinion of others) and strong letters of rec.

What's the likelihood of my acceptance this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have applied to all schools in Texas this cycle, except for UNTHSC. Did not apply to any AMCAS school besides Baylor. I just received my MCAT score today (28 - 8/10/10) and it was my third trial. Previous two - 25 both times. I studied more than I thought I could study this past summer, and I don't know if it's my test-taking ability or what, but I just couldn't break a 30. It's disappointing, but it is what it is. My GPA is currently a 3.61 (3.43 BCPM) and there is an upward trend in my grades. I'm graduating this December as well. I have shadowed 140+ hours, volunteered for 100+ hours in a clinical setting, research experience, served as orientation leader for two years, peer mentor for a freshman class, tutored in various subjects (science, writing, psychology) for two years, President of our AED chapter, and I've been a classical dancer for 14+ years. I have a strong personal statement (opinion of others) and strong letters of rec.

Apply DO and chances go up to fair.

Why didn't you include TCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a weak chance at Texas Tech El Paso and you're also late in the TMDSAS cycle. I think you do have a decent chance at TCOM though.

I think you have a weak chance at Texas Tech El Paso and you're also late in the TMDSAS cycle. I think you do have a decent chance at TCOM though.
I completed my application for TMDSAS mid-July

At an allopathic school, very low, and not much better for a DO program. Your MCAT struggles are a red flag. You got two 25s and a 28; what's to prove the 28 wasn't just good luck? Schools will predict you'll struggle with boards as well...but DO is probably worth a shot.

Though everyone has a different background and story, just to prove that you have a chance and literally never know what the adcoms are looking for:

my stats: 26 MCAT, 3.9 cGPA/sGPA
5 interviews in Texas (4 MD + TCOM)

Nobody can definitevely predict your chances, but applying early and strong EC's can definitely overcome a 28. (though not sure how multiple MCATS will play out). Good luck!

I just wanted to let you know that I have spoken to ADCOMs from UT southwesterna and A&M personally and they told me that texas schools do not hold multiple MCATs against you. TCOM even takes your highest score if you retake and do worse. Your stats look good for TCOM you should definitely apply, if the DO thing is turning you off then I suggest you do some research. I was once in your shoes and refused to apply to TCOM and I regret it, its an awesome school, with a strong curriculum and match statistics. Your stats could get you in to MD Schools, especially if you are an URM, but I wouldnt be to optimistic. TCOMs average MCAT is a 28, so is El Paso, for all the others you are below average. You would be good for OOS DO schools as well. If you have taken the MCAT 3 times then you probably maxed out, Im in the same situation took the MCAT 4 times and ended up with a 29. So you need to start looking at realistic options, such as DO schools.

At an allopathic school, very low, and not much better for a DO program. Your MCAT struggles are a red flag. You got two 25s and a 28; what's to prove the 28 wasn't just good luck? Schools will predict you'll struggle with boards as well...but DO is probably worth a shot.

Im sorry but I think your post is overly pessimistic. Luck does not translate to a 3 point increase. The OP is good for DO schools, also from my research, schools tend to look unfavorably on scores below 25 as that shows a significant correlation with struggling with boards. Above that there really isnt a big correlation unless you are scoring insane on the MCAT. A student at TCOM who scored the highest on boards in its history had a 27 on the MCAT so its not that big of a predictor. It seems to show extremes. Also for what its worth here in texas Ive personally seen several people who had taken the MCAT 4+ times end up at an MD school. We have different rules, cuz were Texas ;)

Are you in-state? If so, I can't really speak to that as I was an OOS applicant to Texas schools. If you are OOS, you have roughly a 0% chance

Im sorry but I think your post is overly pessimistic. Luck does not translate to a 3 point increase. The OP is good for DO schools, also from my research, schools tend to look unfavorably on scores below 25 as that shows a significant correlation with struggling with boards. Above that there really isnt a big correlation unless you are scoring insane on the MCAT. A student at TCOM who scored the highest on boards in its history had a 27 on the MCAT so its not that big of a predictor. It seems to show extremes. Also for what its worth here in texas Ive personally seen several people who had taken the MCAT 4+ times end up at an MD school. We have different rules, cuz were Texas ;)

There are multiple studies that indicate the MCAT is one of, if not the best, predictor for board scores. Perhaps some adcoms can comment on this.

There are multiple studies that indicate the MCAT is one of, if not the best, predictor for board scores. Perhaps some adcoms can comment on this.

Its a predictor up to a certain point. I dont think that the difference between say a 27 vs a 31 can predict success on boards. A 27 vs a 37 maybe, and if someone is scoring in the low 20's than yeah I can see that being a red flag. The boards are different from the MCAT from what I have heard, and Ive also heard that the bio section is what is more predictive.