Chances of getting accepted into a Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntiDentite19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, new to this and wanted some advice and honesty

I'm an undergraduate senior and major in Biology.

My expected GPA after I graduate would probably be around a 3.26 sGPA 3.0

I admit my first two years weren't my strongest, due to personal reasons, which took a hit on my GPA. However I am finishing my senior yr strong and have gotten mostly A's in the hardest levels of sciences my program has to offer (Physics, Pharmacology, Biochem).

I have not yet taken the DAT but have already scheduled it for post graduation. Hoping to earn a 22+ or higher; My interests are NYU, Rutgers, Temple, and Buffalo. If it helps I'm also part of multiple school clubs and have some community and shadowing hrs. (Not sure if there enough though).

Besides resulting to post bacc and MS programs, do I have a realistic shot of making it into any of the above schools? Also do schools recognize the positive slopes of GPA? Was hoping if I did amazing in the hardest courses they can see that I can actually keep up with the criteria & consider me.

Members don't see this ad.

realistic shot with a 22? yes.

Reactions: 1 user
If you submit your application in the first week it opens AND get a 22, then yes. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know about highly competitive but you should still have a pretty good shot even if August isn't exactly the earliest possible with a 22+ DAT. Good luck.

I applied with a 3.31 oGPA/3.3 sGPA (with a near 4.0 trend for four semesters though), and 23 AA/23 TS/24 PAT and applied to 15 schools. I received 14 interviews, and was accepted to 8 of the 9 schools whose interview I attended... so yes, get a 22+ and you'll be fine.

Disclaimer: I am Brazilian and thus a URM, so your mileage may vary.

Reactions: 3 users
I applied with a 3.31 oGPA/3.3 sGPA (with a near 4.0 trend for four semesters though), and 23 AA/23 TS/24 PAT and applied to 15 schools. I received 14 interviews, and was accepted to 8 of the 9 schools whose interview I attended... so yes, get a 22+ and you'll be fine.

yeah but 3.2-3.0 GPA is a major difference then just a 3.3

BrazilianRider is also affected by a condition known as buttface. This is a disorder that makes his face look like a rectum. Since he is so devastatingly ugly, most schools felt bad for him and invited him on interviews. Unless you are affected by a similar condition, I would not expect as many interviews.

Reactions: 12 users
BrazilianRider is also affected by a condition known as buttface. This is a disorder that makes his face look like a rectum. Since he is so devastatingly ugly, most schools felt bad for him and invited him on interviews. Unless you are affected by a similar condition, I would not expect as many interviews.

Don't listen to @rendal, why, just this morning he skipped class because he came down with a terrible case of buttface himself. It's a terribly debilitating disease with a poor prognosis, and we need to raise awareness doe it.

Reactions: 7 users

Wow what motivation great job! And I take it u guys know each other lol

Hey guys, i'm currently in a post bacc program, and re-apply to dental school again this summer. My post bacc gpa is 3.375 after the first year (3.0 first semester, and 3.75 second semester). is it an ok gpa that dental school will consider? Thanks!

Hey guys, i'm currently in a post bacc program, and re-apply to dental school again this summer. My post bacc gpa is 3.375 after the first year (3.0 first semester, and 3.75 second semester). is it an ok gpa that dental school will consider? Thanks!

I dont what to say man. If you had to do post-bacc, that meant that your undergrad wasnt stellar. Usually the people who have a chance are the ones who killed it in post-bacc after a rough undergrad.

3.375 probably isnt something that a dental school is looking for for post-grad gpa, probably closer to around 3.75.

But I dont know, your application might be amazing and stand a very good chance of getting an acceptance.

Yes, it's definitely possible. Had similar stats and got in. Study hard and apply!

Yes, it's definitely possible. Had similar stats and got in. Study hard and apply!
Hi Flossiraptor, thanks a lot, you gave me more hope! would you mind sharing your stats? i have +200 of shadowing and assisting, +300 hrs of volunteering, 2 papers published (secondary author), etc., DAT first time 21 (21/21/21), second time 24. Thanks!

Don't listen to @rendal, why, just this morning he skipped class because he came down with a terrible case of buttface himself. It's a terribly debilitating disease with a poor prognosis, and we need to raise awareness doe it.

Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users