Chances of getting in after 3 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akinf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm writing the MCAT this summer and will submitting my application next year. I am currently pursuing a degree in Biochem, and if I don't get in after three years I will finish, and then reapply. However, what are the chances of getting in after 3 years at the different schools. Namely, Queen's, Toronto, Ottawa, Alberta, and UBC. Those are my top choices and Manitoba. Manitoba has a lot of people getting in with 3-years, but their AGPAs are typically quite high; I go to Manitoba so I know how the process works. But for the other schools, I'm not really sure. There is information on their website, but in reality, what happens? Any and all comments is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

In my year at UofT around 20% of the class got in after 3 years, myself included. It might be a bit tougher now, with the double cohort in Ontario causing record numbers of applicants. At the very least, you'll get experience with applying and interviewing.

cheech10 said:
In my year at UofT around 20% of the class got in after 3 years, myself included. It might be a bit tougher now, with the double cohort in Ontario causing record numbers of applicants. At the very least, you'll get experience with applying and interviewing.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your "stats" like. This will give me an idea of just how competitive I am.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
akinf said:
If you don't mind me asking, what were your "stats" like. This will give me an idea of just how competitive I am.

Thanks
3.99 and 40R, but it's not necessarily representative of the rest of my class.

Congrats! I am writing the MCAT and such this summer, but I've planned my program in case I am not accepted. Do you mind if I e-mail you to ask a few questions about U of T from someone who actually goes there? Thanks

Sure. You can send me a PM.

cheech10 said:

Over 3 years! Oh hell! I mean hell would have to freeze over before I would take that long to get into UofT or any other Canadian school. You could be halfway or more done with med school by then. I would be heading across borders if it was going to take me that long.

BlondeCookie said:
Over 3 years! Oh hell! I mean hell would have to freeze over before I would take that long to get into UofT or any other Canadian school. You could be halfway or more done with med school by then. I would be heading across borders if it was going to take me that long.

umm...blondecookie...nah too easy. :laugh:

Wertt said:

I think he means after 3 years of undergrad .. not after applying 3 years in a row.

So basically applying and starting med school without a Bachelors.

Take that extra year and finish your degree... don't be so rushed to get to your adult life started. Go do an exchange.. go learn another language... What are you now.. 19. For god sake...

docbill said:
I think he means after 3 years of undergrad .. not after applying 3 years in a row.

So basically applying and starting med school without a Bachelors.

Take that extra year and finish your degree... don't be so rushed to get to your adult life started. Go do an exchange.. go learn another language... What are you now.. 19. For god sake...

Exactly: 1st time applying, after 3 years of undergrad. Fortunately, when I did it you could get a BSc in 3 years (an Honours BSc was 4 years), so I elected to graduate with a BSc after I matriculated. As a voice of dissent to docbill though, I don't expect to get any benefit out of my degree, so my advice would be that if you get in after 3 years, go for it. It's an extra year of earning potential, and saves a year of undergrad tuition and expenses, which costs a lot more in interest by the time you can pay it back. There's nothing wrong with doing what you want to do at a young age. There was even an 18 year old student in my class when we started med school, and she's one of the nicest most well-adjusted students in my class.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about going in after your third year, as long as you are mature enough etc.
BUT, if you are interested in medical research, it can be beneficial to take an honours thesis in your fourth year of undergrad to get some good experience over the entire arc of a research project. Don't write that off too easily.

Wertt said:
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about going in after your third year, as long as you are mature enough etc.
BUT, if you are interested in medical research, it can be beneficial to take an honours thesis in your fourth year of undergrad to get some good experience over the entire arc of a research project. Don't write that off too easily.

Again I disagree. If you are interested in medical research, there is no substitute for a graduate degree. However, most residency programs have a clinician scientist training program or similar program where you take time off in your residency to do research and get a graduate degree. IMO, this is a better choice because you can do research in the field in which you will practice (a choice which often changes during medical school), and you get paid a resident's salary rather than a student's stipend. I am actually planning to follow this route myself, with a master's in clinical epidemiology. We also get classes on planning research studies, getting funding and ethics approval etc. at my medical school, so despite not having an honours thesis, you can still be very successful with research during medical school and residency. In the past 4 years, I've had 4 posters and an oral presentation at international conferences, and recently submitted first and second author manuscripts for publication despite my 3 year degree. This isn't a terribly unusual situation either. So my advice is save the year if you can, you can always find something else to do with it later.

I certainly didn't say that a fourth year thesis takes the place of a graduate program. Nor did I say it was necessary in order to do successful medical research.

But it is a good chance to get your feet wet and see if you enjoy the process and mindset of research before commiting to a research program. I felt my greatest growth as a critical thinker came in my 4th year.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is currently at Queen's. He is the youngest person in his class and he tells me a number of his classmates wish they hadn't wasted time on a 4th year. If you really know what you want to do, I don't see a sense in waiting - especially for something so difficult to attain as medical admissions.

On the flip side I did an honours thesis, MSc, PhD and will be starting meds in the fall at age 29. I didn't know I wanted the MD until 2/3 the way through my PhD. I have no regrets about this especially since I have started a family and have 2 kids. I believe this might be more difficult to do if you are in the middle of residency during your mid-late 20s (though many people do it). And I'm hoping the PhD will put me ahead when I apply for competitive academic/hospital positions at the other end.

I’m certainly not suggesting that my reasons for doing an MD are any better than a third year but I do remember that when I was an undergrad many of my overachieving classmates went for meds simply because it was a difficult thing to do. It was a challenging academic goal to reach and therefore they went for it. Their parents had always pushed them into it and they had never experienced enough of life to know any different.

But this also applies to 4thyears, grad students and everyone else. And in the UK, Aus and Quebec they go right out of high school. Though, personally I find this to be too young. When I visit 23 year old docs in the UK I can't take them seriously.

Basically, there’s no harm in applying so go for it! As cheech10 points out you can explore a zillion different options once you’re in meds and get paid more to do them. But there’s nothing wrong with doing other things first.

ssc_396 said:
On the flip side I did an honours thesis, MSc, PhD and will be starting meds in the fall at age 29. "

Hey ssc_396
Congratulations on getting into a Canadian med school. Well done. :thumbup: It's definitely not easy in any way to gain admission in Canada. All the best to you in med school :luck: I'm sure Canada will gain another great doc after the next four years. :D

Thank you - but it's only American schools I've been accepted to so far. I won't find out about Canadian ones until May 15th. But here's hoping.....

ssc_396 said:
Thank you - but it's only American schools I've been accepted to so far. I won't find out about Canadian ones until May 15th. But here's hoping.....

Oh, okay. Well, all the best of luck to you with the Canadian schools. I hope you'll get in. :luck:

Anyone else here applying starting this summer for Fall 2007?