Chances of getting in to MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebozenator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I posted this in the 'What Are My Chances' forum but was hoping I could get some more MD/ PhD specific opinions.

I recently got my preliminary MCAT percentile and am freaking out a bit on whether I should retake and what my chances are of getting accepted to an MD-PhD program. I have had my heart set on doing an MD/PhD but now have no idea if I could make it in. Could anyone offer up some advice? and some ideas for possible MD-PhD programs?

MCAT: 80-90%
GPA: 3.77 (Science about the same)

Research:
  • 3 years of undergraduate research in 2 labs (the first lab for one summer and one semester before the lab moved). I easilly spent about 30+ hours a week in lab. I went to a public university and both were part of the ajoined medical school.
  • 2 SURF programs.
  • Currently an RA at a fairly prstigious lab. Been here for 1 year so far.
  • 2nd author on 2 papers from each of my undergrad labs. Aurthor on a third upcoming paper.
  • Acquired 2 research grants from my undergraduate university for my undergrad thesis.
  • Presented my undergraduate thesis work at 3 symposiums. Also had a 4th poster with my first lab.
Extracurriculars:
  • EMT for the 6 years. Just left this year. Between 12-30 hours a week depending on the time of year.
  • Fraternity. Held several positions and did a lot of volunteer work. Probably about 550 hours spent doing volunteer work around campus, with the nearby hospital, and with several medically focused fundraising groups.
  • Peer Instructor for 1 year at universisty teaching basics of research writing, presentation, etc.
Letters of Rec:
  • 1 from each of my undergrad labs (I have been told they are very strong letters).
  • 1 from my current lab. PI is very influential.
  • 1 from where I worked as a Peer Instructor.
  • 1 from an undergraduate non-science professor.

Any avice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.