Chances of Getting In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigersWings

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am just curious as to what my chances are to getting into Pharmacy School. Stats:

Cumulative GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.6 (just about)
PCAT: 91st Percentile

I have been doing a bit of volunteering in a local hospital. Also have spent a few days shadowing a pharmacist at different locations (hospital and retail). Plan on doing more as well. Thanks.

(Looking to apply to Wayne State in Michigan)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am just curious as to what my chances are to getting into Pharmacy School. Stats:

Cumulative GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.6 (just about)
PCAT: 91st Percentile

I have been doing a bit of volunteering in a local hospital. Also have spent a few days shadowing a pharmacist at different locations (hospital and retail). Plan on doing more as well. Thanks.

(Looking to apply to Wayne State in Michigan)

I do not know about WSU but I would say you have excellent chance to get in pharmacy school.

Your question should be what is your chance of landing full time employment 4 years from now in a supersaturated job market.

Everybody gets in nowadays. Just give them your financial aid letter and in return, they will give you an acceptance letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering what my chances of getting into pharmacy school are. I goofed around my first two years of college (was immature) and as a result I ended up re-taking some core courses like gen chem I/II and calculus I. Although I re-enrolled in those courses and got either a B or C, the D's really take a toll on my overall cumulative GPA. My stats are as followed:
  • Cumulative GPA = 3.01
  • Science GPA (low scores replaced with new scores) = 2.82
  • Science GPA (low scores included) = 2.50
  • Last 45 credit hours GPA = 3.11
  • Academic Year 1 GPA = 2.32
  • Academic Year 2 GPA = 2.37
  • Academic Year 3 GPA = 2.59
  • Academic Year 4 GPA = 3.75
  • PCAT = NONE
  • Degree = B.S. in Biological Science (UMD)
  • Pharmacy Experience = 1 year CVS pharmacy technician
  • Industry Experience = 3 years as analytical development research associate (biopharmaceuticals)
My biggest concern is landing an interview given my low overall GPA. I'm going to be straightforward with the admissions committee and tell them the truth regarding why I performed so poorly my first two years of undergrad. I'm a responsible person now, married with a child, working full-time in industry now.

Please give me some input as to my realistic chances of landing an interview, thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering what my chances of getting into pharmacy school are. I goofed around my first two years of college (was immature) and as a result I ended up re-taking some core courses like gen chem I/II and calculus I. Although I re-enrolled in those courses and got either a B or C, the D's really take a toll on my overall cumulative GPA. My stats are as followed:
  • Cumulative GPA = 3.01
  • PCAT = NONE
  • Industry Experience = 3 years as analytical development research associate (biopharmaceuticals)
My biggest concern is landing an interview given my low overall GPA. I'm going to be straightforward with the admissions committee and tell them the truth regarding why I performed so poorly my first two years of undergrad. I'm a responsible person now, married with a child, working full-time in industry now.

Please give me some input as to my realistic chances of landing an interview, thanks.

Pharmacy school will take the average of both grades if you retake a class for a second time.

• Cumulative GPA = 3.01
  • PCAT = NONE

I think, your qualification is not so bad (I've seen worse on here). You show upward trend, evidenced in your last year of college. You completed a bachelor degree and pharmacy / industry work / research experience, and that is very good. You are also married and having a family and that could help adding to your characters.

Your cGPA is 3.01, which clears you for the cutoff line for pharmacy school application (most schools require a min cGPA ~ 2.50 - 2.75 to consider an application). So you might land some interviews alright to non-PCAT schools. For PCAT schools, you would need some good PCAT score (~60-70's percentile) .

But your sGPA is still under 3.0s (2.82).

IMHO the #1 concern of a typical adcom would be academic ability / performance, esp. you would like to get in to good schools (mid to top-tier). Thus, your effort now should be focused on showing adcoms that your academic ability / performance would not be a concern at all.

To do that, I think you should:

-retake or taking some courses (e.g. prereq, or upper level science courses) just to raise your sGPA at least to 3.0 as you are already very close (2.82)

-take the PCAT and score very well (you should aim for at least 80's percentile, ideally 90's)

-if you could, have your professors in science classes (even from the ones you retook) to write you excellent LORs. Just tell them your situation and ask them if they are willing to write excellent LORs for you.

In short, as of right now, I think you would have ~ 70+ % to land some interviews and about the same percentage to get an acceptance to some pharmacy schools provided you have a decent PCAT score (~ 60-70s's percentile) and apply to enough schools (I would apply to 7-12 schools) and wide enough range from new / unranked / low-tier schools to mid- / top-tier schools. For better schools, you need to have excellent PCAT (80's-90's), sGPA ~ 3.0+, and excellent LORs for the same chance for interviews and/or acceptance.

You will get in some pharmacy schools !! GL :)

Your question should be what is your chance of landing full time employment 4 years from now in a supersaturated job market.

Everybody gets in nowadays. Just give them your financial aid letter and in return, they will give you an acceptance letter.
Yup, pretty much.

Thank you all for the feedback. I will be applying to 10 schools the second PharmCAS opens. Most of these schools don't accept PCAT scores, however, they seem to be ranked and on average have +95% NAPLEX pass rate (ex; OSU, Pacific, etc...). My goal is to take the knowledge from pharmacy school and apply it to industry.