Chances of getting into MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

km_pa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to the thread and SDN. I will try to keep it as short as possible, and thanks ahead of the time whoever responds.

I am currently a nurse thinking of going into any MD/DO program in USA. I have BSN and I have all of my pre reqs. I had couple of bad grands and will be retaking them in spring. BSN GPA is 3.5 and Science will be about 3.3-3.4.
Clinical experience: Been an EMT for 3 years, ER tech for 2 years and nurse for 1.5 years. In total about 12000 hours of HCE.
Volunteering: Volunteered at Special Olympics in 2015 as medical team member, gone to cancer walk as medical team member, went to Ecuador for 2 weeks as medical aide at local hospital, at last been volunteering at local homeless shelter for past 3 months.
Will be taking my GRE and MCAT in January 2016
Took my mock MCAT got a 31 lets say I will get 31-33 range

Any input will be much appreciated
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take a practice test of the old version of the MCAT? I ask because the score you gave is using the scale from the old version.

Yeah I took It before it turned to new 3 digit numbers

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how to convert it to new score system

The new MCAT is quite a bit different, scoring a 31 on an old mock test won't give you an accurate prediction of your score on the new one.

Although your GPA is a little low, your massive clinical experience might help make up for it (assuming you do well on your mcat).

If you score at least 500 on the MCAT you would be competitive for many DO schools. 508 or higher and you would be competitive for some MD schools.

What is your state of residence? And why are you taking the GRE as well?

Reactions: 1 user
What's 500 and 508 on old scoring system do you know?

I live in California I was thinking just in case so I could apply to PA school as well as a backup up

Being a PA is very different from being a doctor, and all those applications will amount to a lot of $$$. I would suggest you decide whether you want to be a doctor, and then your backup schools can be low tier MDs/DOs.

I live in California I was thinking just in case so I could apply to PA school as well as a backup up

500 is about a 25, 508 is about 30. I disagree with Faha's suggestion. California is a difficult state for a medical school applicant as the state has many applicants and your public schools are super competitive and have high MCAT/medians and many applicants tend to go out of state. To be competitive for MDs, you want to try to get at least a 515 (equivalent to 33-34 on the old scale) especially given your below average GPAs. Make studying for the MCAT your priority!

500 is equivalent to 25 on the old MCAT and 508 is equivalent to 30. You nursing experience will be a strong plus for your application. MD schools where you would have a chance for an interview with a MCAT of 508 or higher include:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
California Northstate
Any new private MD schools that open in 2017 (Henricopolis, Seton Hall, Roseman, California University (Colton), etc. ).

For mD schools the GPAs are a tad on the weak side, so it may very well depend upon whether you live in a lucky state like TX, LS or IA. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own, and pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages.

You're fine for any DO program.

Hello everyone I am new to the thread and SDN. I will try to keep it as short as possible, and thanks ahead of the time whoever responds.

I am currently a nurse thinking of going into any MD/DO program in USA. I have BSN and I have all of my pre reqs. I had couple of bad grands and will be retaking them in spring. BSN GPA is 3.5 and Science will be about 3.3-3.4.
Clinical experience: Been an EMT for 3 years, ER tech for 2 years and nurse for 1.5 years. In total about 12000 hours of HCE.
Volunteering: Volunteered at Special Olympics in 2015 as medical team member, gone to cancer walk as medical team member, went to Ecuador for 2 weeks as medical aide at local hospital, at last been volunteering at local homeless shelter for past 3 months.
Will be taking my GRE and MCAT in January 2016
Took my mock MCAT got a 31 lets say I will get 31-33 range

Any input will be much appreciated
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
For mD schools the GPAs are a tad on the weak side, so it may very well depend upon whether you live in a lucky state like TX, LS or IA. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own, and pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages.

You're fine for any DO program.

I'm sorry if I sound dumb but Im wondering how TX, LS, and IA are considered lucky states?

@rsrs3739 https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

This table will tell you alot about what states are and aren't lucky. Pay particular attention to the % of matriculants who stay in state for a school. This number is really high for a state like West Virginia, Arkansas, Alabama etc. Not so much for a California, Colorado or Maryland.

You can debate what is and isn't a lucky state all day(I wouldn't really consider IA that lucky) but this chart can answer most questions.

In a nutshell, "lucky" states have a bias towards in-state residents. For example, U IA received 378 apps from Iowans, and interviewed 315 of them, and 101 of those matriculated. So the odds for an Iowan to get into U IA are 1/3! (and probably higher, since schools accept ~2x more than they seat).

In contrast, for OOS, is was 3121 app, 397 interviews, and 51 matriculants. So for an OOSer to nab an interview, the odds drop down to ~13%, and of those, a final 7.8% of all OOS applicants get seated.

I'm sorry if I sound dumb but Im wondering how TX, LS, and IA are considered lucky states?

Thank you everyone for input.
I live in California but don't mind to move to any state I get into. My next questions are do you know how MD/DO programs look at nursing degree and how they do the grade replacement and even if they do such things. For example I got a C on my chem class of I retake it and get an A will they replace the whole grade or they will use both of them?

Thank you

Thank you everyone for input.
I live in California but don't mind to move to any state I get into. My next questions are do you know how MD/DO programs look at nursing degree and how they do the grade replacement and even if they do such things. For example I got a C on my chem class of I retake it and get an A will they replace the whole grade or they will use both of them?

Thank you

DO schools will do grade replacement, MD schools don't.

If you retake a class, only the new grade is factored into your GPA. MD schools include both grades into the GPA calculation.

oh Got it by any chance do you know how can i figure out which DO schools are low tier and relatively easy to get into

oh Got it by any chance do you know how can i figure out which DO schools are low tier and relatively easy to get into
For DO these schools are easier to get into than the west coast DO schools:
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
CUSOM
LUCOM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM

It all depends on the MCAT. And for the record don't refer to some DO schools as "relatively easy to get into" because even for a solid stat applicant it can be a crapshoot.

The list above are some good schools to aim for with a 500+ MCAT. I wouldn't apply to LUCOM.

No i understand what i mean is they have lower requirements for the admission, why you say you wound not apply for LUCOM