Chances of getting into medical school due to low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSMedStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently calculated my GPA. My science GPA is low a 2.75. I received a C in Organic Chem I and a D in Organic Chem II. I am retaking Orgo II this summer and I am taking BioChem in the fall. What should I do to pull my GPA up also considering a Post Bac Masters program if they will accept me with a low GPA. Should I apply for a MPH Program or a MBS Program ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Everyone is biased to a certain extent. Don't bring it up.
MD is nil.
DO is nil.
Do a post-bacc and go from there.

Thanks I will keep that in mind. A major a part of my med school application essay is about my transition and the major reason I decided to become a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see how it would benefit you though.

I would think it would benefit me because not many people that are transgendered are in medical school. Most have transitioned well beyond medical school. Also I would be a minority student and transgendered which would make my application unique once I can bring my grades up to be somewhat competitive with a 28 MCAT score.

I would think it would benefit me because not many people that are transgendered are in medical school. Most have transitioned well beyond medical school. Also I would be a minority student and transgendered which would make my application unique once I can bring my grades up to be somewhat competitive with a 28 MCAT score.

Dude, no offense, but you're living in a fantasy world. A 28 MCAT is not even near competitive with a 3.8+ GPA (although it is occasionally passable with an excellent story and a 3.8+ GPA). With a <3.0 GPA/<30 MCAT, you wouldn't even make the initial cut to have your PS read at most schools.

As an aside, most people feel less comfortable around transgender individuals (not more); if anything, I would expect this to make you less desirable as a candidate, since, assuming they are aware of your background, patients might be less likely to divulge certain pieces of information to you due to your background (although we would hope that it has no negative impact upon your candidacy or practice). Basically, I just don't see it helping you even if they actually read your PS/essays before auto-rejecting you for low stats.

That wouldn't be information I would divulge to all my patients but once again how would you know its more about numbers not ones gender. I am pretty sure you didn't have a 3.8 GPA.

That wouldn't be information I would divulge to all my patients but once again how would you know its more about numbers not ones gender.

Because I have been through the process.
Because I have spoken with a number of adcoms.
Because I also advise students and have access to our institution's AAMC Advisor account.
Because I have access to our institutional applicant data.

Is that enough reasons?

Your gender is completely irrelevant. Further, the fact that you wouldn't divulge it to pts would make it even less relevant (i.e., it's not going to help you relate to pts any more effectively). Finally, the fact that you don't reveal it to pts may very well be irrelevant. I can, quite often, pick out a transgender individual without needing anyone to tell me s/he isn't really male/female because oftentimes the sexual characteristics just aren't quite far enough on one side of the line or the other. I would think there might be something a bit creepy/weird feeling about having someone who's gender is ambiguous touching you in various ways during a physical exam -- not to be sexist or whatever, but the fact remains that it might creep some people out and that concern could easily cause an adcom to turn you down as it, frankly, is a much more legitimate concern than, say, the fact that interviewee #749 took too many sips of water during lunch (showing she was obviously nervous and, therefore, was unfit for medicine).

Exactly my gender is irrelevant. Also every transgendered person is different in the way they act and present themselves. Unless you are transgendered you are completely ignorant to that fact you assume you can tell by a persons characteristics but obviously you haven't been around many transgendered people. Im done talking about my gender whats most important to me are the numbers and what I need to do to have a chance at getting into med school by either retaking classes that I received low letter grades in or just apply to a post bac/masters programs.

Exactly my gender is irrelevant. Also every transgendered person is different in the way they act and present themselves. Unless you are transgendered you are completely ignorant to that fact you assume you can tell by a persons characteristics but obviously you haven't been around many transgendered people. Im done talking about my gender whats most important to me are the numbers and what I need to do to have a chance at getting into med school by either retaking classes that I received low letter grades in or just apply to a post bac/masters programs.

Your gender is irrelevant, yet you keep bringing it up as a way to be "unique." It does not make you unique in a way that is likely to be seen as "positive" or "desirable" by most of the adcoms I have met.

To have a chance at medical school, you will need to get your GPA over a 3.0 and then apply to an SMP. You will need to do well (30+ at the minimum but really more like a 32+) on the MCAT to have any chance at MD programs (probably high 20s for DO; MD would also require a GPA more along the lines of 3.4+ but a 4.0 in the SMP plus a mid-30s MCAT might remediate a 3.1-3.2 uGPA enough to get you some low-tier MD nibbles).

Should I focus on a SMP that is more science based such as a Biomedical Sciences program or could I get away with doing a MPH program ?

Should I focus on a SMP that is more science based such as a Biomedical Sciences program or could I get away with doing a MPH program ?

Well, consider what you are trying to show them and that should give you your answer. ;) Is an MPH program going to tell them you can hack it in medical school-level science courses?

A nonfactor, not wow factor. It will not benefit you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone is biased to a certain extent. Don't bring it up.
MD is nil.
DO is nil.
Do a post-bacc and go from there.
I would not say "DO is nil". OP still have a shot at DO if OP can bring the GPAs to 3.0 and score 28+ mcat.

OP needs to pull his grades up to a 3.0 and then do an SMP. Don't be tempted to take the easy way out and do an MS or MPH. Every adcom and his dog knows that these programs are inflated.

As for the transgender issue. I wouldn't hide it but would caution you about featuring it prominently in your PS. Medical school professors can be conservative about these things. This is one more potential ding on your app

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Since you seem to be new around these forums and think you have a chance of getting into medical school with a 2.75 GPA and a 28 MCAT, let me tell one thing before I offer advice: put the blunt down.

First off, welcome to SDN. This forum offers great advice and following these forums for all the good information that it provides is the first step on your journey to medicine. Now for my advice:

You have two options with regards to applying: MD or DO. That being said, you need GPA repair in addition to a better MCAT score. So how do you go about a GPA repair?

In my opinion, the best way is to do a undergraduate post-bacc for 2-3 years while maintaining as close to a 4.0 GPA as possible. This is what my intention is after I graduate this year. Often times, these programs are classified as "non-degree seeking" or as "second bachelors" programs. Apply for the second bachelors if schools in your area offer it. They are cheaper (if in-state), provide you with all the resources that the other students receive, and you also get priority registration.

During this post-bacc, you should maximize your BCPM (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) courses and perform well. Another option is to retake all the classes you did poorly, get A's, and use the AACOMAS grade replacement policy for DO schools. This retake route will probably save you a year or more since you're simply retaking classes to skyrocket your GPA as opposed to taking multiple semesters of newer classes that you never took before.

Now, the most important thing to note is that completing a master's will not help you at all. Grades are inflated in graduate school, and even if you perform well, your undergrad GPA will not pass the screens. So get those past the 3.0 "cut-off" before you apply for a special program called an SMP. Apply to those programs that have linkage agreements with medical schools. If you can't get into one of those, doing a master's in medical sciences or other pre-med master's programs (designed for students with low stats who are trying to make it big) is a good idea as well, but there comes a great risk with those programs without linkage. For more information on those, check out the post-bacc thread on this forum.

Lastly, you need to obtain a better MCAT score and so I recommend the MCAT thread which has a tremendous amount of information on how people scored well, what they did, etc.

I think you can do it. All you need to do is prove it. I'm in the same boat as you and intend to embark on an arduous journey for the next 3 years. I wish you luck and if there's any other information I can provide, please let me know.

URM status still helps in DO for black people. Not as much as MD, but for DO you can look at the stats and see it does help. With at least 3.0 science and cum gpas and 28+ mcat id say you have a shot.

I want you to think about this- sometimes it's not always good to stick out. They say the nail that sticks out, is the one that gets hammered down. Don't use your gender as an excuse for being unique use it as being true to yourself; nothing less, nothing more. Being a straight, white dude doesnt make me unique. Its what we DO in life that makes us unique. Not our genders, sexuality, etc.

That's the trap some people fall into. They think "im special because im black or gay". Let me tell you, if being black, TS, or gay is the only reason you can call yourself special then you are screwed. There are some tough URM applicants out there that will eat you alive with good gpas/life stories/mcat etc and they don't bank their application on their outside appearance, they let their successes shine through their app.

Thank you Shalashaska for your advice that is the route that I will be taking. ColeSmalls I am not trying to use the race card to score me extra brownie points or being transgendered. I thought it would help in my essay to set me somewhat apart in explaining my decision for applying to medical school and why i would want to help other people such as myself. I already went down that road with some other ignorant member and don't want to cross that path again. Medical schools need more diversity and many minority students Black/Latin can often get away with lower MCAT scores and a lower GPA compared to White ,Asian and Other applicants. That is just what I heard and know from my friends that all applied to medical school with a lower MCAT score than me. They have all been accepted to lower tier medical schools. I live in the midwest for example when I apply to UIC I will get the rejection letter at this point but they offer a special post bac program for minority/disadvantage students that applied to their medical program and didn't get accepted. I am special just like I am pretty sure we all are on this forum not matter what your race, gender, creed and etc... are. My accomplishments will show and the consistency will show by applying myself and taking the right steps to pull up a weak GPA and low MCAT score.

Last edited:
With those numbers, post-bac is called for as you nedd to show AdComs that you can handle a medical schoo curriculum. I've read throught this thread and want to add that there is nothing in any PS that will make up for poor grades, even at Touro-California. Even they have standards.

So I recently calculated my GPA. My science GPA is low a 2.75. I received a C in Organic Chem I and a D in Organic Chem II. I am retaking Orgo II this summer and I am taking BioChem in the fall. What should I do to pull my GPA up also considering a Post Bac Masters program if they will accept me with a low GPA. Should I apply for a MPH Program or a MBS Program ?

Thank you Shalashaska for your advice that is the route that I will be taking. ColeSmalls I am not trying to use the race card to score me extra brownie points or being transgendered. I thought it would help in my essay to set me somewhat apart in explaining my decision for applying to medical school and why i would want to help other people such as myself. I already went down that road with some other ignorant member and don't want to cross that path again. Medical schools need more diversity and many minority students Black/Latin can often get away with lower MCAT scores and a lower GPA compared to White ,Asian and Other applicants. That is just what I heard and know from my friends that all applied to medical school with a lower MCAT score than me. They have all been accepted to lower tier medical schools. I live in the midwest for example when I apply to UIC I will get the rejection letter at this point but they offer a special post bac program for minority/disadvantage students that applied to their medical program and didn't get accepted. I am special just like I am pretty sure we all are on this forum not matter what your race, gender, creed and etc... are. My accomplish will show and the consistency will show by my applying myself and taking the right steps to pull up a weak GPA and low MCAT score.

I'm not concerned with diversity, im concerned with those that work hard for themselves and their community getting in. I think looking at race is stupid because there are several things more important than race. If a white/black/asian whatever wants it bad enough and shows his/her dedication through ECs, grades, MCAT then that person deserves a spot. No one should ever think that they deserve a spot based on their race. One thing you didn't list are your ECs. Even though your grades are poor you still need to have good ECs that show you made a difference in other people's lives. I know about these post bacc programs you're talking about; however these programs can be somewhat competitive among URMs that that don't have the stats quite high enough to get into med school. I don't think these programs are guaranteed admittance, you still need to show that you're capable of handling it and have a decent list of ECs, letters of recc, and a good interview. I know theres one in chicago, if I recall with linkage but if im remembering correctly it has a decent amount of candidates.

My point is don't underestimate how hard the road is going to be for you form here on out. Just because you're applying to SMPs doesn't mean you wont need good ECs, letters, etc because they still require you to send those.

I understand how you feel but that is just the way the world is unfortanately when it comes to race. Minorities feel they deserve a spot in medical school for whatever warped reason they may have. There are minorities that work hard but unfortunately were not given the same opportunities as others which would make them disadvantage.
Now Let me mention my EC's. I volunteer at a hospital 5 hours a week, I shadowed a Plastic Surgeon whom worked with a lot of trans clients doing brow lifts, breasts and etc. I also work at a clinic contacting people about their STD stats. i have been volunteering for over a year now. I would like to shadow a DO doctor in illinois but I am having a difficult time finding one. Hope my EC's help.

Last edited:
Use this to track down a DO to shadow, its how I found mine http://cf.osteopathic.org/iLearn/home.cfm Those are DOs that are willing to have people shadow them.

your ECs are a good start. I would suggest more community service/leadership. Start a canned food drive for example. Volunteer with special needs children. etc

Thank you ColeSmalls. I am glad I joined this forum really helpful and beneficial. Its good to have people tell you the truth about things even if you don't want to hear it sometimes.

yes, this forum will tear you down and take a crap on you but as a doctor you'll face tons of criticism. Better you learn to deal with it sooner then later. Use this forum for motivation/advice. The people that want it bad enough find ways to become doctors, even if they have lower end stats.

You are right about that. I am use to people saying NO and trying to tear my down. This board will motivate me to push through the obstacles that I am going to face when applying and receiving rejections letters and etc... Also it will give me a sense of hope that even with a low GPA you can still obtain a acceptance letter to a med school willing to give you a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
what does "nil" mean?

Nil is Latin for 'nothing' or 'zero.'

I recommend finding a list of medical terminology and abbreviations and memorizing it ... there you will find nil per os (NPO) which means 'nothing by/through mouth.' It will also help when you're shadowing/volunteering and people are throwing around PRN, qd, bid, tid, q4h, etc. Rumor has it basic medical terminology will be on the the new MCAT, too, so may as well get it over with now.

Some one whom we know did Ph.D and went in medical school. They ask lot on oragnic in MCAT and interview also organic. Pick up sub which you like and do Ph.D on it.

Some one whom we know did Ph.D and went in medical school. They ask lot on oragnic in MCAT and interview also organic. Pick up sub which you like and do Ph.D on it.

wat

tumblr_lbi5ffWLyb1qa55edo1_500.jpg

o_O. The ask organic chemistry questions in med school interviews? "So, do you see yourself as more of a SN1 reaction, or SN2?"

o_O. The ask organic chemistry questions in med school interviews? "So, do you see yourself as more of a SN1 reaction, or SN2?"

"Do you prefer to attack from the backside?"