Chances of getting into medical school with a DUI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DA1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently charged with a DUI in the state of GA. I graduated from UGA in 2012 with 3.27 GPA and am currently enrolled in a masters program at GA-PCOM. I plan on taking the MCAT this summer and my current gpa at pcom is a 2.93. I am hiring an attorney for the charge but it is unlikely that I will be able to have it reduced to reckless driving since I blew a very high BAC. I am retaking the MCAT because I got a 26 on my first attempt. If I am able to do well on my MCAT this summer (30 or higher), will I still have a decent shot of getting into any DO schools.? Also I do not have any other criminal history but I do have a dishonesty notation on my UGA transcript notation for plagiarism on a French oral presentation, but despite this I was able to get into the biomedical sciences program at PCOM. I know I completely screwed myself with this incident but I am hoping to increase my grad gpa and really do well on the MCAT. Any advice, comments are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As I read it, you have a serious IA, a DUI, a very low gpa, a seriously low graduate gpa and a very low MCAT.

Do you have some compelling reason that your state schools will overlook these components of your application? In my state, there is no repeat MCAT score that would garner an interview invitation with these elements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
It's unlikely. I hope I am wrong and I wish you the best though!

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears to me that your masters GPA and you MCAT are pretty much violently killing your chances at an MD school, regardless of a DUI.

Reactions: 1 users
Even a perfect 528 on the MCAT would not save you. Consider an alternate career path than medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Two black-marks are way harder to look past than one. Even then as mentioned above, your MCAT and GPA aren't going to do you any favors for DO school.

You would have to seriously improve your GPA, do well on your MCAT retake, get some great LORs that hopefully combat your black-marks in some way, and come up with one hell of a personal statement about why people should entrust their health to someone who has had a hard time following the rules. To say it is an uphill battle is an understatement, it's just a question of whether you're willing to invest that much time into something when the odds are stacked against you like this.

A recent DUI, when you should have known better, is going to hurt you. You'd most likely be wait listed at my school.

And frankly, guys you kill families like mine.

Oh, just noticed the IA. If that IA for dishonesty is indeed on your transcripts, then your medical career is over.

EDIT: just reread the OP. A 2.93 in a graduate program is lethal for any medical school. This is a sign for you to do something else.

I was recently charged with a DUI in the state of GA. I graduated from UGA in 2012 with 3.27 GPA and am currently enrolled in a masters program at GA-PCOM. I plan on taking the MCAT this summer and my current gpa at pcom is a 2.93. I am hiring an attorney for the charge but it is unlikely that I will be able to have it reduced to reckless driving since I blew a very high BAC. I am retaking the MCAT because I got a 26 on my first attempt. If I am able to do well on my MCAT this summer (30 or higher), will I still have a decent shot of getting into any DO schools.? Also I do not have any other criminal history but I do have a dishonesty notation on my UGA transcript notation for plagiarism on a French oral presentation, but despite this I was able to get into the biomedical sciences program at PCOM. I know I completely screwed myself with this incident but I am hoping to increase my grad gpa and really do well on the MCAT. Any advice, comments are appreciated.

Last edited:
After a years of trying to become a professional bodybuilder, I finally accepted that I was nowhere near as muscular as even a mediocre amateur. It took time and many years of spinning my wheels before I took the blinders off and accepted the evidence that the results of my efforts were nowhere near enough to make a career of bodybuilding. I see something similar in your results. Even ignoring your IA and DUI, your academic performance and MCAT score are analogous to my results of weightlifting. It would be advisable to see if there is something you would be better suited for. The IA and DUI probably necessitate this given the oversupply of applicants. You would need to find an entire admissions committee willing to overlook both an academic dishonesty IA and a DUI.

Reactions: 1 user
AI, DUI, low uGPA, low gGPA... even if you got a perfect MCAT score I don't think you have a shot at any DO school or American medical school. Caribbean will probably be difficult as well.

DO schools are willing to overlook imperfect grades/MCAT score, however it's because their rationale is that the numbers don't define a person, and that people can still be good doctors if they show an understanding from their mistakes and imperfections, and that they have a good sense of judgement and ethics.

Your AI and DUI indicates a serious problem with following the rules and making good choices, not to mention that your DIU is doing exactly the opposite of what a physician does- you are endangering the lives of others because of a poor decision you made. If you had a good reason for your AI, and could really show that you learned from your mistake (such as became part of the honor council or something) that could be overlooked... but I am really sorry to say I think you will have a really hard time even if your lawyer gets it reduced. You can call med schools and ask them what they think, if you want another option but you might want to think really long and hard if it's worth the time, energy, and money to retake the MCAT and apply if there is very little chance of getting in.

I just looked back at your posting history and I actually remember you...you actually have TWO academic dishonesty infractions, one for plagiarizing a French oral report and another for checking your phone during a biotechnology lab final exam. You even stated in one thread that the second violation (the biotech lab final) nearly got you expelled, but now that you say you graduated from UGA, it would seem that that did not happen.

I remember nearly everyone who replied to you on those threads (you made three) stated you should be doing more extracurriculars and classes to show that you have changed your behavior for the better. But seeing that you've gotten a DUI since that, it's clear that you've gone the opposite direction. I'm not trying to put you down here, but I'm just saying that if there were any chance at all of you being able to get into medical school then, it's certainly gone now.

I really think you should pick a new line of work of some kind. What was your major and what other fields do you have interest in? I only suggest this because in the time that it takes for you to redeem yourself of these black marks, if it is at all possible, you could be pursuing a master's in another field and getting a good career in that. It's up to you, but I just want you to weigh the options first.

Reactions: 1 users
I just looked back at your posting history and I actually remember you...you actually have TWO academic dishonesty infractions, one for plagiarizing a French oral report and another for checking your phone during a biotechnology lab final exam. You even stated in one thread that the second violation (the biotech lab final) nearly got you expelled, but now that you say you graduated from UGA, it would seem that that did not happen.

I remember nearly everyone who replied to you on those threads (you made three) stated you should be doing more extracurriculars and classes to show that you have changed your behavior for the better. But seeing that you've gotten a DUI since that, it's clear that you've gone the opposite direction. I'm not trying to put you down here, but I'm just saying that if there were any chance at all of you being able to get into medical school then, it's certainly gone now.

I really think you should pick a new line of work of some kind. What was your major and what other fields do you have interest in? I only suggest this because in the time that it takes for you to redeem yourself of these black marks, if it is at all possible, you could be pursuing a master's in another field and getting a good career in that. It's up to you, but I just want you to weigh the options first.
Agree, time to look at plan B OP.

Look for plan b.....your moral failures and grades will likely make medical school impossible