General Admissions & OTCAS Chances of getting into OT school with a low GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KnightOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm terrified no one will give me a chance just because I'm terrible at standardized tests. Considering my stats, do you think I have a chance? Currently looking into Nova and University of St Augustine's MOT programs.

Major: Sport and Exercise Science/human performance
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
Last 60 GPA: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.2
Observation Hours: 82 hours in 3 different OT settings including hand therapy and pediatrics.
Extra: 6 month internship working at a school for children with motor and neuro disabilities including cerebral palsy and autism (spent my days helping them learn to walk, sit, toilet, eat, and with academics). I also gained leadership experience serving as an executive board member for an honor society I'm in at my university.

And my stupid GRE is a 282 (5.0 on AWA)... I cannot beat that test no matter how much I study. I always run out of time and freak myself out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you don't have children/family obligations, you should consider programs that don't require the GRE out of state as back-up. The prices can feel semi random since different schools prioritize different things, and you may hurt yourself by applying to two schools. Schools off the top of my head that don't require the GRE... Springfield College, AIC, Bay Path, UNE, NYU, Husson, Sacred Heart. These are all in the Northeast, but I'm sure there are some further south. There's a thread somewhere that has a list of schools beyond these.

Also, given your somewhat low cum, I'd consider schools with interviews, as they tend to look at the student more holistically. Of the ones I mentioned above UNE/Sacred Heart do interviews. However, I think Bay Path/maybe AIC are somewhat forgiving on grades (I obsessed about my school list even though I only applied to 4).

If you keep your options open you'll get in somewhere. Good luck!