chances of getting into PA school in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ed101123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'll start with the good: 7+ yrs as an infantry Corpsman, numerous trauma courses, and a lot of direct patient care experience in both "sickcall" medicine as well as trauma. help found and vice president of a veteran non profit organization.

The bad: my gpa has gobe to hell since my wife committed suicide in the middle of my sophmore year. Basically for the better part of a year and a half I didnt give a crap an my grades went to hell. I got my act together somewhat and tried to o pull my gpa up. Because i retook a few classes my last two semsters have been ridiculous. this semester (graduating semester) I had to take 21 hrs of all upper level bio classes and physics 2. I didnt do as well a I wanted to and my cum gpa is going to be a 2.9.

I plan on taking the GRE and applying this summer to the PA school at the University of North Texas. I guess my question is realistically wha are my chances.
Thanks in advance for any input

Members don't see this ad.

My recommendation is to get a great GRE. I would talk to the school(s) you're interested in and also look at the school acceptance stats and minimums. PA school is competitive to get into with lots of smart applicants with great numbers. Your corpman experience will help you significantly, but I don't know how much it will do to overcome your grade deficit.

Yeah thats what im going to try really hard to do. Im just hoping that my extracurriculars can help me overcome my gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just hoping a current or former admissions committee member replies so I can kind of get an idea of how bad it really is going to be for me

you may need to take a few more courses to get the gpa to 3.0
your experience is stellar. look at programs that value experience like medex, stanford, etc.

I thought about retaking orgo 1 because I got a C in it, aside from that im not sure what other upper level bio courses I can take