chances of getting radiology advanced position while doing prelim year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxyz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! If I match at a prelminary position in match 2015 without getting any advanced position and I start my prelim year in 2015, is it possible to apply for radiology advanced position in match 2016 and start radiology residency in June 2016 without wasting a year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! If I match at a prelminary position in match 2015 without getting any advanced position and I start my prelim year in 2015, is it possible to apply for radiology advanced position in match 2016 and start radiology residency in June 2016 without wasting a year?
please tell me how this thing is possible. I need help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gadofosveset thanks for the link! I did not match anywhere in this match. I have applied for both advanced and preliminary spots in SOAP. If I dont get any advanced radiology position this year in SOAP and i match for prelim spot, I will start my prelim year.Now if I want to apply for radiology advanced position next year, will I have to wait till 2017 to start that? is there any way to apply for an advanced position in Radiology next year and starting it in 2016 so that I don't have to waste a year?

Yes, apply for the limited number of physician positions in the next match that will start as PGY2 next summer (if you fail to SOAP a spot).

Yes, apply for the limited number of physician positions in the next match that will start as PGY2 next summer (if you fail to SOAP a spot).
okay thanks a lot! a runner!

There is a better option than applying for the scarce physician spots in the match.

Spots open up all the time. Some programs that don't fill choose not to SOAP (after this bloodbath of a match, that will be especially true). Interns change their minds and switch specialties before even starting their radiology programs. Some people quit medicine altogether intern year.

Look for open spots during your intern year - don't wait for the match. Sites like residency swap (?) have postings for spots outside the match, and Aunt Minnie has postings for spots sporadically throughout the year.

Applying for physician spots in the match is a good backup, although if it gets to that point you should also apply to normal spots and figure out something useful to do with your gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys I have a question: I am currently on a radiology rotation and have just matched into another specialty (Psych). I am happy with my match but just can't help but wonder if I should have discovered this amazing specialty sooner. (no fault but my own of course and school scheduling of electives). My question is this: how would I go about re-applying into a radiology position next year or in the future in case I decide I am not in love with my chosen specialty? I don't believe my intern year will count as I only have 4 IM months and 2 Neuro and 6 months psych, so I would assume I'd have to re-do intern year and match to an advanced spot also? I know this is difficult seeing as my intern year is not covering what would normally be easier to slide into a PGY-2 spot or so... any guidance from anyone on how best to approach this scenario? thanks so much and congrats to those who matched!

You could enter the match for 2016 and interview during your internship, which presents its own special set of hurdles. You are obligated to stay with your matched program for a certain amount of time unless you get a special waiver, I believe. I'm not sure your 4 IM months would get credited at potential internships but it's possible.

There are lots of threads made by people switching residency programs, I would search those out and talk to people who have done it directly. It's definitely doable.

Hey everyone! If I match at a prelminary position in match 2015 without getting any advanced position and I start my prelim year in 2015, is it possible to apply for radiology advanced position in match 2016 and start radiology residency in June

Hello, I am in same situation, got pre-matched into Preliminary year for 2017, but didn't match in any advanced position.
is https://www.electronicresidency.com/our-services worth?
Did anyone use it and got result.
How to secure myself a PGY 2 for 2018 for sure?
Any help please.