Chances of matching residency, MS3, allopathic school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehshuggah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just curious about where I stand.

Step 1: 254

First two years: excellent grades, mostly honors (few HP, and one P). Won an award for being top in my class in physiology.

Third year:
Peds: HP
FM, OB/GYN, Anesthesia, Surgery: All passes

I'm not sure what the deal here is. I busted my ass on surgery, got good comments, and got 82 on shelf (above avg) but only got pass.

Where do you think I stand?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeah: and I'm in the process of being published in a urology paper (1st author). Made a video presentation on a laparoscopic partial nephrectomy. And am also doing a case report on a patient.

Yeah, I switched career interests.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably give up your dream of anesthesiology. Being one standard deviation above the average Step 1 for anesthesiology won't cut it. Most people also have 5 1st author publications.

In all seriousness..... you'll match somewhere good. Don't freak out.

Yeah, I mean I was just wondering because of my sub par clinical grades. My written evals are always good though

upload_2014-2-17_18-56-18.png

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I mean I was just wondering because of my sub par clinical grades. My written evals are always good though
You may want to try to figure out what's going on with your clinical grades. You clearly did well the first two years, but 3rd year is largely a different beast.
Can you take an additional anesthesia elective?
Are you planning on doing any away rotations?

You may want to try to figure out what's going on with your clinical grades. You clearly did well the first two years, but 3rd year is largely a different beast.
Can you take an additional anesthesia elective?
Are you planning on doing any away rotations?

I honestly don't know what's going on with my clinicals, obviously it's my evaluations. But the comments are always good, so I'm not sure why the numbers aren't correlating.

I am going to take an additional anesthesia elective 4th year. I'm also not planning on doing away rotations, I want to stay at my home medical school for residency as well.