Chances of matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cozmopak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:

Step I: 238
Clinical grades: All high passes
Preclinical grades: A mix of passes and honors
Medical school: Top 40
Research: I have a few projects going, none in urology
Other experience: I took a year after my clerkships to work in the pathology department as a student fellow, where I essentially functioned as a first year pathology resident, performing many autopsies and learning how to gross specimens. I figure this experience would be helpful for surgery.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are good. Do sub I's get good letters from infulential people in your dept. Apply widely.

yada yada

you'll probably match. I have no experience with the process whatsoever, and have no business giving you advice, but I feel like anyone who has read this forum long enough can predict what's coming.

I dont think you're any better or worse off than myself or any of the guys I know that are applying this year. I think we'll both (I hope) get interviews, and from there who knows. See you on the interview trail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think you're any better or worse off than myself or any of the guys I know that are applying this year. I think we'll both (I hope) get interviews, and from there who knows. See you on the interview trail.

Thanks man!

Any other opinions?

Good chances as long as you don't interview poorly. Get some urology research under your belt from your home program if you can.

Hi,
Same question, slightly different situation:

Brand new third year, Step 1 of 228, mid-tier school. Obviously not ideal, and I feel I'm under more pressure to settle on a career right now because I have to spend two more years focusing efforts towards that pursuit.
Question is, if you were me, would it be feasible to still attain a good shot at matching? Thanks!

does research have to be specifically in urology? i have a ton of ortho publications (like 10 or so) and am strongly considering switching to urology. my step1 score should be good enough. all i hope is my research is still valid for apps and my DO degree doesn't hamper me too much.

I have the same question. Here is my profile:

Step 1: 256
Grades: Mostly honors 1-2nd year, 3/6 honors in clerkships (my school is just pass/fail/honors). I might be senior AOA, we will see.
Med school: eh, middle of the road but with a urology department
Research: 1 pub in anesthesia (4th author), 1 textbook pub (2nd author), working on another project but won't publish it in time for application

I am asking this because I am still deciding, thus, I haven't jumped on any urology research yet and if I decide late (ie. in June/July) I wonder if I would still have a chance or if I would need to make up my mind for sure asap. What do you think?

Grades: Mostly honors 1-2nd year, 3/6 honors in clerkships (my school is just pass/fail/honors). I might be senior AOA, we will see.
Research: 1 pub in anesthesia (4th author), 1 textbook pub (2nd author), working on another project but won't publish it in time for application

I am asking this because I am still deciding, thus, I haven't jumped on any urology research yet and if I decide late (ie. in June/July) I wonder if I would still have a chance or if I would need to make up my mind for sure asap. What do you think?

You'd be competitive with your scores. Now is the time to do research because away rotations need to happen in May/June/July and at the latest August. You won't have time then.

You should have very strong chances with those scores. That said you should be doing everything you can to improve those chances now and position yourself to get into better programs. You could conceivably get some uro research done before summer. Your away rotations need to be set up within the next month. Many positions will already be filled by now. It really is time to decide. What's the holdup?

Step 1: 248
Grades: Almost all honors first 2 years. So far I have honored every clerkship during my third year (5 of them). I am ranked #1 in my class and I was just elected into AOA. And I have more than 10 community service activities I have been involved with.

Med School: pretty much unknown with no urology department.
Research: worked 2 years in clinical research before attending medical school (was a clinical research coordinator). published 2 abstracts (presented both at national conferences but NOT related to urology) and presented a poster at the AMSA national convention.

I am worried that I may not be able to match because my medical school is largely unknown and because the research I have done is not related to Urology. I already applied to several programs through VSAS to do away for months of Jul/Aug/Sep. I have been offered spots for Jul and Aug so far (OSU, Mount Sinai). What do you think?

You'd be competitive with your scores. Now is the time to do research because away rotations need to happen in May/June/July and at the latest August. You won't have time then.

Sorry, I havent really started med school, but i want to know:
What are "away rotations"? at a diff school? Can students be visiting students like in undergrad, you take summer courses at other universities?

Members don't see this ad :)

Step 1: 248
Grades: Almost all honors first 2 years. So far I have honored every clerkship during my third year (5 of them). I am ranked #1 in my class and I was just elected into AOA. And I have more than 10 community service activities I have been involved with.

Med School: pretty much unknown with no urology department.
Research: worked 2 years in clinical research before attending medical school (was a clinical research coordinator). published 2 abstracts (presented both at national conferences but NOT related to urology) and presented a poster at the AMSA national convention.

I am worried that I may not be able to match because my medical school is largely unknown and because the research I have done is not related to Urology. I already applied to several programs through VSAS to do away for months of Jul/Aug/Sep. I have been offered spots for Jul and Aug so far (OSU, Mount Sinai). What do you think?

I'm sure you will match with those scores. As above, not too late to get some Uro research. OSU and Mt. Sinai are fine programs, though Sinai's away rotation doesn't have the best reputation. I would cruise over to urologymatch.com for a lot more info about aways, chances, programs, etc.

I'm sure you will match with those scores. As above, not too late to get some Uro research. OSU and Mt. Sinai are fine programs, though Sinai's away rotation doesn't have the best reputation. I would cruise over to urologymatch.com for a lot more info about aways, chances, programs, etc.

Thanks!

does research have to be specifically in urology? i have a ton of ortho publications (like 10 or so) and am strongly considering switching to urology. my step1 score should be good enough. all i hope is my research is still valid for apps and my DO degree doesn't hamper me too much.

You should have a good reason for the switch.

The D.O. will hinder you in an allopathic residency program unless you are the bee's knees and walk on water. It's unfortunate, but that's just the way it goes. Just my observation. I recall few D.O.'s on the interview trail with me, and this has been the same for applicants we've had interviewing these last couple of years. Look for D.O. friendly programs. We've had a D.O. here (Oklahoma) a few years ago and he is an excellent urologist.

I did not have any urology research. I had basic science as a pre-med at the NIH and trauma anesthesia research during medical school. Just be able to speak intelligently about your research and how research is a strength of yours that will translate into urologic-specific projects as a resident.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Ditto.

matching.

i can't speak for other programs, but here are some important factors that attendings talk about when discussing applicants.

board scores - you have to be at or above a certain threshold value to be taken seriously. the program at my medical school and my residency program both use a cutoff to screen applicants to interview. that number varies depending on who you talk to, but it's somewhere around 230. you application needs to have something remarkable if your step 1 score is below this. one disclaimer i will make is that both my medical school and residency are academically oriented places and are more snobby about scores.

medical school grades - while there is a high level of variability in terms of grades (some places have high-pass, others don't... some have percentile requirements like only the top 15 %ile get honors... and there's also a ton of subjectivity in evaluations) but you need honors in at least a few core rotations like medicine, surgery, and definitely the subinternship in urology at your home institution. grades first 2 years aren't that important per se, but they can play a role in becoming AOA, which is important.

AOA - lots of people are AOA but many also are not. this can help you a lot if you have it, but it won't necessarily hurt you if you don't and the rest of your application is strong.

research - in order of importance:
1. paper in big journal like nature, cell, etc.
2. first author paper in peer review journal in urology
3. first author paper in peer review journal not in urology
4. less than first author in peer review journal
5. abstract presentation at meeting

something like evidence of productive research can be a big plus, especially if you're interviewing at academic programs.

interview - this is the most important day - it can make you or break you. if your objective qualities are good but you interviewed poorly, you will undoubtedly drop in the rankings. i've seen this happen. if you're in the middle of the road, a strong interview can bump you up.

the away rotation - this is something i would highly recommend. many places prefer to match someone they know. be careful when scheduling these because some places have like 10-15 visiting students each year and it can be difficult to shine with that many bright eager students competing for attention. which programs do this? you'll have to do some leg work. call them and ask. ask your friends who are residents. every year we match 1 or 2 students who did aways with us. the match is like the NFL draft. there are lots of cam newtons...only some will end up being stars...so many programs prefer to have someone they know, even if that person is very good but not great.

that being said, urology is competitive to match into. remember that most people do end up matching. don't get caught up with the big name programs or prestige. find a place where you'll be happy and where the attendings and residents seem cool.

for people with step 1 scores below 220, i would strongly recommend doing something to strengthen your application.

and finally, check out urologymatch.com. that's the go to place for match information.

matching.

i can't speak for other programs, but here are some important factors that attendings talk about when discussing applicants.

board scores - you have to be at or above a certain threshold value to be taken seriously. the program at my medical school and my residency program both use a cutoff to screen applicants to interview. that number varies depending on who you talk to, but it's somewhere around 230. you application needs to have something remarkable if your step 1 score is below this. one disclaimer i will make is that both my medical school and residency are academically oriented places and are more snobby about scores.

medical school grades - while there is a high level of variability in terms of grades (some places have high-pass, others don't... some have percentile requirements like only the top 15 %ile get honors... and there's also a ton of subjectivity in evaluations) but you need honors in at least a few core rotations like medicine, surgery, and definitely the subinternship in urology at your home institution. grades first 2 years aren't that important per se, but they can play a role in becoming AOA, which is important.

AOA - lots of people are AOA but many also are not. this can help you a lot if you have it, but it won't necessarily hurt you if you don't and the rest of your application is strong.

research - in order of importance:
1. paper in big journal like nature, cell, etc.
2. first author paper in peer review journal in urology
3. first author paper in peer review journal not in urology
4. less than first author in peer review journal
5. abstract presentation at meeting

something like evidence of productive research can be a big plus, especially if you're interviewing at academic programs.

interview - this is the most important day - it can make you or break you. if your objective qualities are good but you interviewed poorly, you will undoubtedly drop in the rankings. i've seen this happen. if you're in the middle of the road, a strong interview can bump you up.

the away rotation - this is something i would highly recommend. many places prefer to match someone they know. be careful when scheduling these because some places have like 10-15 visiting students each year and it can be difficult to shine with that many bright eager students competing for attention. which programs do this? you'll have to do some leg work. call them and ask. ask your friends who are residents. every year we match 1 or 2 students who did aways with us. the match is like the NFL draft. there are lots of cam newtons...only some will end up being stars...so many programs prefer to have someone they know, even if that person is very good but not great.

that being said, urology is competitive to match into. remember that most people do end up matching. don't get caught up with the big name programs or prestige. find a place where you'll be happy and where the attendings and residents seem cool.

for people with step 1 scores below 220, i would strongly recommend doing something to strengthen your application.

and finally, check out urologymatch.com. that's the go to place for match information.

I couldn't agree with these comments any more.

I would argue that every program uses board scores as an initial screen. Unless you have something special on your application, you'd better have a better than 220, and more likely, a 230, at most programs. If you have to ask if your "special" attribute is special... it probably isn't. For instance, you should know it's special if you've published a J Urol article as a second year medical student.

More comments to follow... posting comments in between clinic patients.

I couldn't agree with these comments any more.

I would argue that every program uses board scores as an initial screen. Unless you have something special on your application, you'd better have a better than 220, and more likely, a 230, at most programs. If you have to ask if your "special" attribute is special... it probably isn't. For instance, you should know it's special if you've published a J Urol article as a second year medical student.

More comments to follow... posting comments in between clinic patients.

I agree to an extent. Below 220, you are going to face an uphill battle, and you probably need something extra special. Somewhere in the mid-220's you should be ok. You don't need a J Urol article with those scores. Some decent research, ie. a few abstracts at national conferences, strong aways at realistic programs, good letters, and good grades (top two quintiles), and good interview skills are what you will need. Most programs do not screen at 230, although I see that get repeated again and again. Aside from the really top programs, most probably screen at 220 or below. I'm pretty sure the average board score for uro is in the low-mid 230's, so tons of people get in every year with scores in the 220's. The keys to applying from average scores 220-230 is applying broadly and to realistic places and taking as many interviews as you can.

I agree to an extent. Below 220, you are going to face an uphill battle, and you probably need something extra special. Somewhere in the mid-220's you should be ok. You don't need a J Urol article with those scores. Some decent research, ie. a few abstracts at national conferences, strong aways at realistic programs, good letters, and good grades (top two quintiles), and good interview skills are what you will need. Most programs do not screen at 230, although I see that get repeated again and again. Aside from the really top programs, most probably screen at 220 or below. I'm pretty sure the average board score for uro is in the low-mid 230's, so tons of people get in every year with scores in the 220's. The keys to applying from average scores 220-230 is applying broadly and to realistic places and taking as many interviews as you can.

When I applied 5 years ago, a 220 would undoubtedly get you an interview. I do not think the same applies now. From what I've gathered informally from my program, the percentage of applicants with > 230 is significant.

The reality is... do you think the program director is going to go through all of the submitted applications... 419 registrants this year... average appications 48 (http://www.auanet.org/content/residency/residency-match.cfm). Or do you think that the program director's administrative assistant is going to submit a more realitistic list to them? In an ideal world, the faculty would look over every applicant and chime in on who gets interviews. I think we all agree that this process is far from perfect. So that leaves you with the only objective data... USMLE Step 1 (and, sometimes, Step 2). Now, some programs will recognize the "diamond in the rough" and we all hear about the person with a score of 200 getting a spot, but we need to speak with statistics... which I, too, am lacking.

I will investigate this further and see what kind of numbers I can dig up.

Finally... with all that being said... and trying to recall the neurosis that accompanies applying for residency as a rather run-of-the-mill applicant (Step 1 233, Not AOA, middle third of class, One non-urology abstract, one non-urology basic science paper in a journal with low impact, all A's or honors in clerkships except for B's in OB/GYN and Psychiatry, all B's and 2 C's my first two years, active in medical school committees)... If you WANT urology... go for it! In my opinion, it is the best field of medicine. And that's after 4 years of residency.

When I applied 5 years ago, a 220 would undoubtedly get you an interview. I do not think the same applies now. From what I've gathered informally from my program, the percentage of applicants with > 230 is significant.

The reality is... do you think the program director is going to go through all of the submitted applications... 419 registrants this year... average appications 48 (http://www.auanet.org/content/residency/residency-match.cfm). Or do you think that the program director's administrative assistant is going to submit a more realitistic list to them? In an ideal world, the faculty would look over every applicant and chime in on who gets interviews. I think we all agree that this process is far from perfect. So that leaves you with the only objective data... USMLE Step 1 (and, sometimes, Step 2). Now, some programs will recognize the "diamond in the rough" and we all hear about the person with a score of 200 getting a spot, but we need to speak with statistics... which I, too, am lacking.

I will investigate this further and see what kind of numbers I can dig up.

Finally... with all that being said... and trying to recall the neurosis that accompanies applying for residency as a rather run-of-the-mill applicant (Step 1 233, Not AOA, middle third of class, One non-urology abstract, one non-urology basic science paper in a journal with low impact, all A's or honors in clerkships except for B's in OB/GYN and Psychiatry, all B's and 2 C's my first two years, active in medical school committees)... If you WANT urology... go for it! In my opinion, it is the best field of medicine. And that's after 4 years of residency.

Yeah of course lots of candidates exceed the 230 mark, and I have no doubt that many schools screen applicants by board scores. The statistics are lacking for everyone, because for some reason the AUA refuses to publish any stats aside from number of applicants. That said, it is pretty reasonable to assume that the mean step 1 for matched applicants is somewhere around 235. This is in line with other competitive surgical specialties and a bit below the most competitive (plastics, derm) specialties. With a mean around 235 many, many matched candidates have scores below 230. This makes me doubt that many programs use 230 or 235 as cutoff scores. Only the most desirable programs could afford to do this. My home program, a middle of the road academic program, uses 220-225 I believe.

I can also anecdotally speak to this year's match. I personally know 5 people who matched to good programs this year with scores around 225. None of them had any crazy research experience or anything like that. All of them had at least 12 interview offers some with 20+. So I would concur with you. It's worth taking a shot to do what you want to do.

another similar, but slightly different situation

MD/PhD student
Step 1 score (in 2007): 234
MS1/MS2 grades: mostly honors (about 85%)
3.5 yr PhD (instead of the usual 4)
MS3 grades: none yet, since I just re-entered clinical medicine.

Research: a PhD, with 3 first-author publications. One in a pretty significant journal. None related to urology.

And therein lies the question -- by application time i wont even be done with my MS3 year. Technically, this is apparently OK (or at the least the AUA told me that it is OK), but I am worried programs will be scared to "take a chance" on someone without all their grades.

ideas?

icon1.png
What are my chances?
School: low-tier, not Caribbean
Program: MD-PhD in pharmacology, finishing in 7 years for all
Publications: 2 from research before at an Ivy League school; will have 2-3 first authors by the time I apply; not related to Uro in all of them
Step1: 249/77
School grades: As in all but 2 classes
Bunch of extracurricular, presentations, talks and conferences..but not uro...

What are my chances?

Thanks for your input..:love:

249/ 77<- how is that possible.. you either got a 209, or I'm not sure what typo you made.. 249 is always 249/99

I have two Urology publications (1 as an author) in high power Journals but it was during my senior year of undergrad (I went straight from undergrad to my med school which has a pretty solid Urology program). I have been in touch with Urologists at my school and should have 2 good recs from 2 reputable Urologists.

I just haven't found any time during school to get into any stable/solid research.

I guess my question is, is my Urology research (more than 2years during my undergrad w/ 2 pubs) pertinent for Urology residency applications? Would it kill my chances if I don't get any pubs during my med schooling? Would it look bad?

Won't kill your chances, but it definitely helps you to do more. Especially at the big academic programs, they want to see a commitment to research. What have you done lately?

MS3 here. My stats are: 230/99 step 1, mediocre 1st/2nd yr grades, and one research abstract in urology that I did last summer. I plan on getting involved in some more research projects this year and obviously am going to try to honor my 3rd year clerkships. I'll probably also take step 2 a little early to boost my score since it seems right under the "average." I don't plan on applying to any top tier programs except for University of Maryland.

Any advice/opinions on my chances? Thanks!

Hey guys, here are my stats:
Med School: Top 20
Step 1 Score: 256
1-2 year grades: All A's, 1 B+
Clerkship grades: Thus far, B in peds, family, and surgery, A in neurology
Research: 2 years of ortho research, no publications yet

I'm kinda concerned because I'm getting B's in my clerkships and my third year grades are bringing down my GPA. What do you think my chances are?
Thanks guys!

Hey guys, here are my stats:
Med School: Top 20
Step 1 Score: 256
1-2 year grades: All A's, 1 B+
Clerkship grades: Thus far, B in peds, family, and surgery, A in neurology
Research: 2 years of ortho research, no publications yet

I'm kinda concerned because I'm getting B's in my clerkships and my third year grades are bringing down my GPA. What do you think my chances are?
Thanks guys!

I think u have a great chance of matching...but how come the change of heart to apply to uro since you have 2 years of ortho research?? you will definitely be asked about it during interviews.

I had a change of heart...I really didn't want to be stuck with hardcore surgery for a big chunk of my life and I kinda want to prioritize having a life outside of work. Ortho just seems way too competitive.
Plus, I really enjoyed my OB/Gyn rotation and even entertained the possibility of going into Uro/Gyn, and so I'm now heavily leaning towards Urology. Great exposure to procedures and surgeries without the hectic schedule. That's my kind of life!!

I'm just really concerned about my GPA. Our school ranks us according to quartiles starting at the end of third year and my grades have been sinking cuz of my B's. Do you think that's a real downer or that my Step score will mask my mediocre GPA? Thus far, it's a 3.59 (borderline 2nd to 3rd quartile).

I had a change of heart...I really didn't want to be stuck with hardcore surgery for a big chunk of my life and I kinda want to prioritize having a life outside of work. Ortho just seems way too competitive.
Plus, I really enjoyed my OB/Gyn rotation and even entertained the possibility of going into Uro/Gyn, and so I'm now heavily leaning towards Urology. Great exposure to procedures and surgeries without the hectic schedule. That's my kind of life!!

I'm just really concerned about my GPA. Our school ranks us according to quartiles starting at the end of third year and my grades have been sinking cuz of my B's. Do you think that's a real downer or that my Step score will mask my mediocre GPA? Thus far, it's a 3.59 (borderline 2nd to 3rd quartile).

hey completely understandable about the change of heart. Not to burst your bubble but urology is just as competitive, if not more, than ortho. for instance, this past year, U.S. seniors had only a 77% match rate in uro, which makes it rather tough. so just want to make you are aware that uro is certainly not any less competitive to get into...with that said, i do think you have a good chance of getting in. do some away rotations at places you'd like to go to and get some nice LORs and you should be fine.

I'm a soon to be fourth year. I liked medicine and surgery and had been having a hard time deciding between the two. I didn't really have urology on my radar until recently when my father-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer and I started looking into urology. From what I understand it sounds like a great specialty and is really appealing to me. I set up a 4th year rotation in urology to get a better idea. One potential issue is the rotation isn't until late in the summer. I'm just wondering how competitive I'll be.

Med School: DO school
Step 1 Score: USMLE step 1 low 260s, COMLEX 1 low 700s
1-2 year grades: All HP or H
Clerkship grades: All HP, H in surgery (our evaluations specify that students should be in the top 5% to get honors, so I think it really hurts us when we apply to residency)
Research: Did some summer research between ms1 and ms2 years. No publications.

I'm a soon to be fourth year. I liked medicine and surgery and had been having a hard time deciding between the two. I didn't really have urology on my radar until recently when my father-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer and I started looking into urology. From what I understand it sounds like a great specialty and is really appealing to me. I set up a 4th year rotation in urology to get a better idea. One potential issue is the rotation isn't until late in the summer. I'm just wondering how competitive I'll be.

Med School: DO school
Step 1 Score: USMLE step 1 low 260s, COMLEX 1 low 700s
1-2 year grades: All HP or H
Clerkship grades: All HP, H in surgery (our evaluations specify that students should be in the top 5% to get honors, so I think it really hurts us when we apply to residency)
Research: Did some summer research between ms1 and ms2 years. No publications.

Scores are awesome. Grades are fine. What will really hurt you at ACGME urology programs is your DO degree and lack of research. You have as good a shot as anyone in your position, but honestly it is an uphill battle. I'm not saying it's right, but there is a serious bias against DO's in the AUA match. I would make sure you apply to the AOA programs as well as ACGME. You should have a great shot at the DO programs.

Step1 230
Grades all Pass except for Honors in uro, in bottom quartile of class
1 abstract publication in uro, working on 2 more uro projects
Working on LORs from some well known urologists
Was planning to take step2 early, but might not be able to since im doing uro rotations in Jul/Aug/Sept

How much will my poor grades affect me in the match? Will a step1 of 230 be sufficient to get some interviews at some lower tier places at least?

thanks!

Step1 230
Grades all Pass except for Honors in uro, in bottom quartile of class
1 abstract publication in uro, working on 2 more uro projects
Working on LORs from some well known urologists
Was planning to take step2 early, but might not be able to since im doing uro rotations in Jul/Aug/Sept

How much will my poor grades affect me in the match? Will a step1 of 230 be sufficient to get some interviews at some lower tier places at least?

thanks!

You have a shot, but it will be tough. All passes in clinical rotations is a pretty big warning sign that there is something wrong with your personality or your clinical knowledge and skills. Your best bet is to do as much additional research as possible and do great on away rotations. I would also start considering backup plans. If you could be happy doing something else, say anesthesia or general surgery, you might save yourself a good amount of money, work, and heartache if you focused on that instead.

what sort of programs would I be competitive for?

step 1 high 250s
allopathic state school with a home Uro program
honors year one and two
3/5 honors so far third year including surgery
possible senior aoa
one first author non Uro pub in submission
one leadership position in an extracurricular

can anyone help me determine what kind of programs that are in my range?

thanks!

You should be competitive at most programs. The big name places are going to be looking for more research, particularly urology research, so that would be the way to strengthen your application. How are you only 3 rotations into third year? Do you have aways set up?

what step 2 score should i try to get? my step 1 is decent, not amazing per uro standards

Another what are my chances....

Step 1: 245
Pre-clinical years: 2nd quartile
3rd year clerkships: at least passes, honors not given out until the end, so no idea about that. Probably 2nd to 1st quartile.
Publications: 3 non-uro (gyn), 1 uro + 3 uro posters
1 year off between second and 3rd year doing pathology fellowship - not sure if this will help?
Medical School: average to low tier, not Caribbean
Other: lots of interesting extracurriculars/work experiences

I have a sub-I scheduled at my home institution and two external sub-Is.
Thanks!

Another what are my chances....

Step 1: 245
Pre-clinical years: 2nd quartile
3rd year clerkships: at least passes, honors not given out until the end, so no idea about that. Probably 2nd to 1st quartile.
Publications: 3 non-uro (gyn), 1 uro + 3 uro posters
1 year off between second and 3rd year doing pathology fellowship - not sure if this will help?
Medical School: average to low tier, not Caribbean
Other: lots of interesting extracurriculars/work experiences

I have a sub-I scheduled at my home institution and two external sub-Is.
Thanks!

You look to be in pretty decent shape. Do well on the away rotations and get good letters.

EDIT: Sorry, already have this posted. Don't want to post twice!

Last edited:
just started third year, wondering if someone could help me out and tell me how I'm doing.

Pre-clinical: top 25% of my class, mostly passes with <5 honors, but at my school only top 10% max get honors in a class.
Research: 1 year now, no publications yet, but should have one by next summer.
A couple extracurricular leadership positions (mentoring and represenative)
Step1: 246
Med school: state school low mid tier.
sounds like you're on the right track. do well in third year, get to know your faculty and get good letters of recommendation, and perform well on away rotations.