Chances of MD/DO? 3.5 GPA, 502 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allstar07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My overall GPA is 3.5 and my MCAT scores were a 21 and then a 502. I'm debating whether to retake the MCAT in April or if I should apply with my current score for admission in 2017. I really don't want to retake the MCAT, so I'm open to DO admissions, but obviously prefer MD.

502 MCAT score breakdown:
Chem/Phys: 125
CARS: 126
Bio: 125
Psych: 126

Should I just suck it up and retake it or could I get a decent number of acceptances with this score if I apply as early as possible?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your EC's you may have a chance at some DO schools, but without a mcat retake you have pretty much zero chance at MD. Also I wouldn't retake the MCAT for a third time since you haven't gotten close to an MD worthy MCAT score yet.

Aim for the newest DO schools. I can't recommend LUCOM. Do not apply to CCOM, the coastal Touros, DMU, Western, KCU, AZCOM or PCOM, your score is reject bait there.

My overall GPA is 3.5 and my MCAT scores were a 21 and then a 502. I'm debating whether to retake the MCAT in April or if I should apply with my current score for admission in 2017. I really don't want to retake the MCAT, so I'm open to DO admissions, but obviously prefer MD.

502 MCAT score breakdown:
Chem/Phys: 125
CARS: 126
Bio: 125
Psych: 126

Should I just suck it up and retake it or could I get a decent number of acceptances with this score if I apply as early as possible?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aim for the newest DO schools. I can't recommend LUCOM. Do not apply to CCOM, the coastal Touros, DMU, Western, KCU, AZCOM or PCOM, your score is reject bait there.

Would you suggest retaking it?

If you're boning for the MD degree, then acing MCAT is required (512+). Otherwise, try an app cycle with your current scores and think about a retake if you get no love from one cycle.

Are you ESL?

Or do you have test taking anxiety issues? If the latter, they're fixable.

Do NOT retake until you are 100% ready for it.

Would you suggest retaking it?