Chances of osteopathic school this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B32alls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first thread. I was curious as to how I am looking if apply this cycle. I am graduating this spring in exercise science but I am taking ochem 1 & 2 in the summer along with bio 2. Unfortunately I was going to school for all the wrong reasons when I began in 2008. After some extreme family matters, 2 years in and many retakes later, I finally started getting it together and have showed a strong upward trend. 2.3 to a 3.77 my senior year. I still have additional bio classes I want to take to help make a foundation for med school.

MCAT signed up to take in April.
Taking a new mcat course to prep me for the new exam.
cGPA 3.2
sGPA 2.95
Community service 80 hours teaching PE at an elementary school

Volunteer work was in a physical therapy rehab where I talked with and helped patients with exercises.

Shadowing a DO over my spring break every day for the 8 hours a day.

I have been to Mexico twice with Habitat for Humanity once when I was 16 and another when I was 18 (I'm 26 now) can or should I include this?

Currently volunteering at a home health care center 1-2 hours a week

So the question is should I apply this cycle with a 2.95 GPA to schools that require a 3.0 because I know I will bring it past the minimal mark it just won't be until after the summer. I would plan on applying in June because I know I need to apply early for schools to even consider me. Are DO schools even going to consider me or should I just apply to AUA this fall for spring matriculation. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Forget the carribean, retake enough grades to get that sgpa over 3.0.....you have retakes available, being below 3.0 is not acceptable

You should consider delaying your application until the 2017 class. It will be a handicap to take the MCAT in April without having taken Organic Chemistry and Biology 2. It would be better to take it in September after you have taken Organic Chemistry. You need to improve your GPA and do well on the MCAT in order to be accepted to a DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for you input. I thought I was pushing it anyways trying to get everything in this spring. Ill take the year and work in a hospital to get more clinical experience. Ill just try to get a more solid resume for next year. Any more suggestions?