Chances of Post-Bac Admittance? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheese17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have probably been a million threads about this, but I really need some advice on applying to a post-bacc program!!

I just graduated from the University of Michigan (May 2016) with a degree in Industrial and Operations Engineering. I have an overall gpa of 3.64 (my major gpa is probably around a 3.8), but my science gpa is definitely low, I have taken genchem, bio 1, and physics 1 and 2, and I received a B+, A-, B-. and B+, respectively. In terms of experience, I had a direct patient care job as an aid for a paraplegic during my senior year, and I just started a year-long fellowship as a management engineer for the Emergency Department at the University of Michigan Health System, which will conclude next summer.

I know that becoming a physician is my true goal, and I ideally would like to enter a post-bacc program in fall 2017. I am just wondering what my true chances are of getting accepted to a program like Columbia or UPenn with my current credentials? Columbia is especially attractive to me because of the many linkages. I just worry that my grades and experiences aren't enough because of the competitiveness of these programs.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't bought the MSAR you should, it'll help you gauge GPA for each school. If you know the schools you like, give the admissions department a call or a visit. No one would know better than them. Your grades will get you into a medical school. It may or may not get you into those, but there are other options if you don't get into them.

Reactions: 1 user
Too early to really tell. A lot will depend on your MCAT and how you do on the rest of your sciences. You need to be closer to that 3.8 bcmp gpa but could get into a good school with a bit less. Be sure and take biochemistry. It really really depends on your performance over this next yr. You also want to get in some shadowing and maybe work as a scribe. Do some reading on sdn to put together the BEST plan.

Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Too early to really tell. A lot will depend on your MCAT and how you do on the rest of your sciences. You need to be closer to that 3.8 bcmp gpa but could get into a good school with a bit less. Be sure and take biochemistry. It really really depends on your performance over this next yr. You also want to get in some shadowing and maybe work as a scribe. Do some reading on sdn to put together the BEST plan.

Best of luck

Thanks so much for your response! Just to clarify, I am applying to a post-bacc pre-med program, not med school yet. So I won't be taking the MCAT this year or taking any undergraduate science classes. That's why I'm applying to the post-bacc, so that I can complete the prerequisites and take the MCAT to then be able to apply for med school (I will ideally complete a post-bacc with a higher GPA than my current). So my question in this post was basically what are my chances in getting into, say Columbia's post-baccalaureate pre-med program with my current GPA and background. I know how competitive medical school can be, but I'm really not sure how competitive post-baccalaureate programs are at these schools.

Your chances of getting into a postbac are good. Almost guaranteed of a second bachelor's program somewhere. Lots of ways to get the needed courses discussed on sdn if you have not considered such.