Chances of scholarship to out of state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npeters1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of getting *good* non-need-based scholarships to out-of-state PT schools? Do any of them waive the out-of-state fee or regularly grant scholarships to out of state students? If so, what kind of credentials do you need for this kind of scholarship money?

Members don't see this ad.

The only place I noticed so far where PT students are eligible for full fellowships is Ohio State University.
The requirement is you be nominated by the department. Their average GRE is 1200 and GPA is 3.7, so I'm assuming you'd at least need to be higher than that to be nominated.

University of Minnesota has a non-resident tuition grant, for out of state students to pay in-state tuition..
Also, some schools allow you to apply to establish residency after your first year of school.
I've heard UNC does that. And University of Colorado states they do on their website. Most state schools do not seem to allow this, but there may be more than these two.
I also noticed that out of state tuition for University of Texas schools is less than in-state tuition at almost all other state's schools. (UT Southewestern Medical Center (Dallas) web site lists estimated non-resident cost of $51,000 for the ENTIRE program including tuition, fees AND books)