Chances of SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timkim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from undergrad in two years because I came in with a lot of AP credits and for financial reasons. My GPA is 3.1 and I barely have any medically relevant ECs (no MCAT score). What are some good SMP I could get into with reasonable tuition? Is SMP the best way for me?

I was planning on entering junior year during fall 2010, but since I unexpectedly graduated, I'm currently home volunteering/shadowing and studying for MCATs. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to cost you at least $50k to do an SMP. What will it cost you to go back to undergrad, to get a 2nd bachelors in a hard science with a 3.7+? That would make you a reasonably competitive candidate, without the SMP. (Assuming your MCAT is a competitive 32+).

Put some time into figuring out whether all your alternatively-earned coursework is acceptable to medical schools, before you start looking at SMPs. You may have graduated early to the detriment of your med school app. My point: med schools don't have to accept AP credit.

If you don't get a good MCAT score before you apply to SMPs, you won't get into a good SMP that advertises good results. If you don't want one or more gap years after your SMP, get the MCAT out of the way before you start the SMP.

Best of luck to you.

If I go back to undergrad the highest I can get my GPA only up ~3.4. If I get a good MCAT score could I get into a good SMP? Finally, should I start thinking about DO's or Caribbean med schools?

since u are a non-traditional student you should definately consider DO or Caribbean... I am actually in a similar boat rite now...