Chances please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peudamour

"[I pledge] my life to the service of humanity"
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

URM from an economically disadvantaged background (if that matters...)
Undergrad: Large Public University, graduated in 2015
Undergrad Major: Spanish; minors International Business, Pre-medicine (STEM heavy)
Undergrad GPA: 3.56
GRE: Taking Nov. 16 average practice= Verbal 162, Quant 159 Writing 4.5
Experiences:
-
taught elementary school as an overseas volunteer for 2 years (volunteer)
-worked at a diabetes wellness outreach center overseas for 1.5 years (volunteer)
- CNA at an assisted living facility for 1 year
-Spanish tutor at University for 1.5 years
-Organizing role for fundraising group at a children's hospital for 7 months (volunteer)
-Medical scribe in the ER for 10 months
-Medical scribe in primary care with lots of patient contact for 1 year
-One year of research in virology (no papers, no posters) (academic cred)
-AMSA membership 2 years (volunteer/academic cred)
Special Skills:
Fluent in Spanish
Proficient in two sub-saharan african languages
Can tell jokes in French
Classically trained mezzo-soprano :)

Recs: 1 from a physician that I worked with as a scribe for a year (we've developed a good friendship), 1 from my research PI who is a professor in Biology, 1 from a Spanish professor
Public Health Interests: I'd love to go somewhere like Columbia or BU where I can study both the behavioral and epidemiological aspects of public health while still keeping the program to two years. I'm really interested in health disparities, but would love the opportunity to be equipped with the tools to make myself a better clincial researcher. Ultimately the goal is med school.

Definitely Applying to: Columbia, BU, Emory, Michigan
Considering Applying to: Johns Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, Minnesota

I'm a little worried because I started on my application late and I wont have everything done until mid November. My application will probably still be verifying well into January........:(

Anyways...any suggestions, criticisms or questions are welcome

Members don't see this ad.

You're good for everywhere, including Harvard. The big H will be a slight reach, not because of ur stats, but because they emphasize research experience (independent projects/pubs).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Unfortunately, no one can give you a good estimate on your chances until you actually take the GRE, as that can make or break you. Take a look at the AAWR threads from the last two years to see where you stand in terms of stats. Also, if you are planning on applying this year, November 16 is very late to take the GRE, as you need to submit you application 4-6 weeks before the deadline and it takes about 2 weeks for your scores to arrive. You need to think about submitting your SOPHAS app within the next week or two, GRE scores and all. See if you can submit without GRE scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're good for everywhere, including Harvard. The big H will be a slight reach, not because of ur stats, but because they emphasize research experience (independent projects/pubs).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Very helpful! Thank you. I know Harvard and Hopkins are my biggest reaches, and I'll still apply to both schools if I have the funds, but I have my eyes set on Columbia.

I'd say (pending GRE scores), that you have a good chance of getting into any of those schools. Out of curiosity, why are you taking the GRE so late? You didn't give yourself any opportunity to retake it if something goes wrong and your scores aren't what you hoped to achieve.

Unfortunately, no one can give you a good estimate on your chances until you actually take the GRE, as that can make or break you. Take a look at the AAWR threads from the last two years to see where you stand in terms of stats. Also, if you are planning on applying this year, November 16 is very late to take the GRE, as you need to submit you application 4-6 weeks before the deadline and it takes about 2 weeks for your scores to arrive. You need to think about submitting your SOPHAS app within the next week or two, GRE scores and all. See if you can submit without GRE scores.

The challenge with getting everything in will be the letters of recommendation. One of them I can have done within the week, but the other two will take a few weeks to be completed.

In terms of the GRE, I cannot take it sooner due to finances...I didn't really plan to apply this year, but my circumstances have changed and so decided to go for it.

What's the danger of getting verified later than December 1?

I'd say (pending GRE scores), that you have a good chance of getting into any of those schools. Out of curiosity, why are you taking the GRE so late? You didn't give yourself any opportunity to retake it if something goes wrong and your scores aren't what you hoped to achieve.

I have been wanting to do a MPH program for over a year, but I did not think that I would have time because of my job as a scribe and because I don't want to delay my matriculation to medical school any longer than necessary. However, recently I found out that my job will be ending within the next few months, so I decided to try for this year instead of waiting an entire year to apply.

I also simply did not realize that the application deadline included the time that SOPHAS takes to verify.

The challenge to getting everything in will be the letters of recommendation. One of them I can have done within the week, but the other two will take a few weeks to be complete.

In terms of the GRE, I can't take it sooner due to finances...I didn't really plan to apply this year, but my circumstances have changed and so decided to go for it.

What's the danger of getting verified later than December 1?

Depends on the schools' deadlines. As long as you are verified by your first deadline (don't know them off the top of my head), you'll be fine. That means you have to be complete 4-6 weeks before said deadline, as many schools will not look at your application until it's verified; and it is a long process. Also, SOPHAS won't start verifying your application until it is complete, so you really need to get that second letter in soon. What is your first application deadline, and are you applying priority or regular?

Depends on the schools' deadlines. As long as you are verified by your first deadline (don't know them off the top of my head), you'll be fine. That means you have to be complete 4-6 weeks before said deadline, as many schools will not look at your application until it's verified; and it is a long process. Also, SOPHAS won't start verifying your application until it is complete, so you really need to get that second letter in soon. What is your first application deadline, and are you applying priority or regular?

Columbia's priority deadline is December 1...I can try to see what I can do about that second letter. The third one just wont be in until mid November. May have to find a way to take the GRE sooner...so I'm looking at an actual deadline of ~November 3rd?

At the latest, yes. You can always apply regular decision for Columbia if you feel like you don't have time. Finances were an issue for me too and I missed all the priority deadlines because of it.

At the latest, yes. You can always apply regular decision for Columbia if you feel like you don't have time. Finances were an issue for me too and I missed all the priority deadlines because of it.
Indeed! Thank you for all the help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Hello all,

URM from an economically disadvantaged background (if that matters...)
Undergrad: Large Public University, graduated in 2015
Undergrad Major: Spanish; minors International Business, Pre-medicine (STEM heavy)
Undergrad GPA: 3.56
GRE: Taking Nov. 16 average practice= Verbal 162, Quant 159 Writing 4.5
Experiences:
-
taught elementary school as an overseas volunteer for 2 years (volunteer)
-worked at a diabetes wellness outreach center overseas for 1.5 years (volunteer)
- CNA at an assisted living facility for 1 year
-Spanish tutor at University for 1.5 years
-Organizing role for fundraising group at a children's hospital for 7 months (volunteer)
-Medical scribe in the ER for 10 months
-Medical scribe in primary care with lots of patient contact for 1 year
-One year of research in virology (no papers, no posters) (academic cred)
-AMSA membership 2 years (volunteer/academic cred)
Special Skills:
Fluent in Spanish
Proficient in two sub-saharan african languages
Can tell jokes in French
Classically trained mezzo-soprano :)

Recs: 1 from a physician that I worked with as a scribe for a year (we've developed a good friendship), 1 from my research PI who is a professor in Biology, 1 from a Spanish professor
Public Health Interests: I'd love to go somewhere like Columbia or BU where I can study both the behavioral and epidemiological aspects of public health while still keeping the program to two years. I'm really interested in health disparities, but would love the opportunity to be equipped with the tools to make myself a better clincial researcher. Ultimately the goal is med school.

Definitely Applying to: Columbia, BU, Emory, Michigan
Considering Applying to: Johns Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, Minnesota

I'm a little worried because I started on my application late and I wont have everything done until mid November. My application will probably still be verifying well into January........:(

Anyways...any suggestions, criticisms or questions are welcome

I am not taking the GRE until November 9th and am aiming for Dec. 1st deadlines as well. Under the standardized test section on SOPHAS you can put in the date you are taking the GRE and still submit the application. I'm pretty sure it can still get verified even if a score isn't posted. At least thats what I am banking on! I also started late in the process so I feel your pain.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not taking the GRE until November 9th and am aiming for Dec. 1st deadlines as well. Under the standardized test section on SOPHAS you can put in the date you are taking the GRE and still submit the application. I'm pretty sure it can still get verified even if a score isn't posted. At least thats what I am banking on! I also started late in the process so I feel your pain.
Yeah, right now the plan is to submit the ap as soon as I have my LORs and try to find a way to take the GRE a little sooner to give time for the result to come back

Look into Yale, Tulane, and Brown SPH as well. You are very competitive for these programs; I too came from a large public university and it was just nice to be in a school with less people. Yale has about 100 in it's entry class, spread across 8 disciplines. I went to Columbia, and dare I say it, it felt like a herd of sheep ready for the slaughterhouse; profs didn't care about my well-being or personal development, and star faculty/ research were hard to access. A lot of students are interested in taking RA positions, but it really just became a problem of: if you went to an Ivy-league undergrad, then you'll get a job in research. If you had any of these similar issues in undergrad while attending a larger college, I may recommend trying out a smaller school. The faculty know you and want to focus on your personal development, which IMO is essential for a master's.

Reactions: 1 user
So I got 163 VR and 155 QR on the GRE. I am disappointed with the QR score...anybody think it will keep me out of the programs I'm applying for? I already submitted to all the programs that are due within the next six weeks.

@TheRealOzzyOsbourne I have added Yale to my list. I'll take a look at Brown and see if the programs fits my goals. Thanks for the insider info.

So I got 163 VR and 155 QR on the GRE. I am disappointed with the QR score...anybody think it will keep me out of the programs I'm applying for? I already submitted to all the programs that are due within the next six weeks.

i don't believe so; ivy league public health school avg's are closer to 3.3-3.5 GPA, 154+ GRE in each subject. Just have a good intent letter and letters of reference. Look at the school's own disciplines and work from there; e.g. don't go to Brown if you want to do health policy/ health econ- they don't have a track on it!