Chances (recovering drug addict)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bxb130530

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

So the thread title should tell you just about all you need to know; I am currently a senior attending a local university, and drug abuse was a HUGE problem in my life from around the age of 15 on. Fifteen was when I first began experimenting, and from the very first time I felt the effects of intoxication, I knew I loved it. I still vividly remember the very first time; discovering that one can change the way they feel with just a hand full of pills was a very astounding and life altering discovery for me. By the age of 16, I was already sitting in a drug rehabilitation center for teens; it was at this point in time that I decided to become a doctor. I made that decision for all the wrong reasons; specifically, so that I would have free access to narcotics, or so I thought. But what started in jest has developed into a multi year chase of a dream that, while initially for all the wrong reasons, has become about helping my fellow brothers and sisters that suffer from the disease of addiction in the way I have.

You see, addiction takes away your dignity. In 2011, I wound up in the emergency room 11 times due to seizures, overdoses, and car wrecks, all because I could not get the idea of one more high out of my head. I wound up visiting a total of 5 different psychiatric wards, where I saw many a degrading thing happen to those suffering from mental illness. I even got so desperate to stay high that, during a stay in Acadia psychiatric hospital in Abilene, I attempted to cut my finger off with a plastic butter knife in hopes of obtaining a days worth of pain medication. This was the same hospital at which, during a stay 2 weeks earlier, I had punched cement walls with my fist in hopes that the staff would be forced to administer an intramuscular valium injection to me; they gave me the valium the first few times, but soon caught on to my drug seeking ways. There was no dignity in this life, and sadly these are just sampling of the awful agony addiction brought me though. I made my own choices (at the age of 15, but they were still my choices), and I've had to suffer the consequences as a result.

But anyway, back to the topic, I developed the dream of becoming a doctor at 15. Drug abuse soon landed me in front of many a physician, though it took over 9 years before one would be able to find something that actually helped me. In fact, during a brief ICU stay at Hendrix Medical Center in Abilene, I became so desperate for a head change that I broke into the ER's crash cart and began shooting epinephrine. The physician became so enraged, and understandably so. It was so hard trying to explain to these intelligent and logical doctors why I was doing what I was doing; I am sure it made no sense, but to me it felt as though there was a gun to my head demanding that I get high in whatever way I could. In truth, i've used needles to shoot drugs, I've committed robbery, lied, manipulated, forged, snorted, smoked, and done about anything and everything that one should not do. My late teens and early 20's were a terribly confusing time.

The midst of this confusing fog found me at the University of Arkansas, where I studied for a B.S. in bio from my freshmen year onto the start of my senior. I maintained a 3.0, with a science around a 2.8, while working full time as a veterinary technician in a local ICU. I shadowed a local physican, but spent the majority of my extra time high on various drugs. In the early years much of my drug abuse arose from within the veterinary industry; I worked closely with controlled substances, and having been so young I did not fully understand the potential implications of my decision to abuse illicit substances. Warning signs abounded; nearly half of my extended family suffers from alcoholism or drug addiction. Yet, I ignored these signs and found myself in a progressive cycle of increasing abuse. I managed to maintain a job and at least decent grades all the way through my junior year at Arkansas, but by the start of my senior year I was far too hooked to maintain anything resembling an independent existence. Less than one week after arriving back at Arkansas for the start of my senior year, I was caught by the local police forging prescriptions at a local mom and pop pharmacy. By the grace of something greater than I, I was released with a public intox ticket. This incident is just another in a long line; repeatedly I would get myself into terrible situations though the pursuit of drugs, and repeatedly I would wind up coming out the other side unharmed.

But by the start of my senior year, the pursuit of staying high had taken a severe toll on me. After being transported to a local hospital in Fayetteville, I was forced to attend a detox/rehab program in exchange for not having the forgery charges brought against me. I obliged quickly, and soon was in Texas (my home state) attending a drug detox program. This was the start of institutions for me. Narcotics Anonymous says there are three ends for the using addict, either jails or institutions of death. Well, over the next couple of years I wound up sitting inside several institutions, and at least a couple of jail cells, and I came very close to death as well. I eventually gave up on my dream of becoming a physician; with every failed attempt to go back to school, along with every failed attempt to stay clean, I lost a little more hope. On 7/30/12, I hit what I view as my rock bottom, the point in time where the pain became too great. It was my birthday, and the same day that I was discharged from my first visit to Acadia Psychiatric Hospital in Abilene. I left the hospital with no money, no phone, no friends, a family that would not talk to me, and no home. Addiction had finally driven me to a point of pain that was simply too great to endure. I had to stay in a homeless shelter that the hospital operated, which was stuffed full with other patients that were suffering from the daemons I myself could not get rid of. I immediately ran to the local pharmacy and got high; initially guzzling cough syrup (it was all I had), then downing an entire bottle of strattera, followed with an entire bottle of seroquel. In short, this was my first and only suicide attempt. I came back to the homeless shelter and waited. I waited for hours. I waited for death.

But death is a very scary thing. After about an hour of waiting to die following ingestion of all the aforementioned pills, I began to feel periods of brady and tachycardia in my chest accompanied by severe visual hallucinations. Feeling weak, I knew I was going to die soon. I got up and managed to get help by walking around 50 yards to the front of the hospital; I was so weak, I had to do this about 5-10 yards at a time, as I would get so tired I would be forced to lay down in the grass and rest after traveling just a few feet. I decided to get up because I was so terrified of dying; truth be told i was terrified of living as well, but I felt I had to go on. And so I did. Around the time EMS arrived, I could no longer hold my eyes open. I drifted into unconsciousness. I woke up around 36 hours later hearing the strangest noise; it was a nurse crying by my bedside. I remember her saying "Blake, you have to fight your daemons, you have to keep fighting". I did not know this nurse, and to the best of my knowledge had not met her before. This, overall, was the darkest point in my addiction. It was my rock bottom; little did I know that the night truly does get the darkest before the dawn.

I was discharged from the ICU back to the psychiatric ward; I spent another two weeks there before being bounced around to two more rehabs and two more psychiatric wards. Finally I wound up at Red River Recovery Center in Wichita Falls, TX. Now, prior to arriving here, I had been kicked out of the Serenity House Rehab in Abilene for attempting to break into their detox med room (I was trying to steal their detox meds in order to get high). They had caught me, and subsequently sent me to Acadia. But upon arriving at Red River, I immediately began contemplating robbing their med room, even though I had been caught doing the same thing just weeks before (and had no where to go if caught). This is the insanity of drug addiction; even though you know bad things will result, you can not fight off the urge to get high, no matter the consequences. Well, anyway, I arrived at Red River and began having thoughts of stealing the meds from the pharmacy. I told this to the doctor there; he was an older and kindly gentlemen, a rarity for a practicing drug addict to run into. He listened to my plan; I would pull the fire alarm and hide while I waited for everyone to leave the building, then kick in the med room door and steal everything that could be abused. He listened to my insanity and, apparently FINALLY understanding the hell I was in, actually did something to help me. He prescribed me a drug I'd never heard of before, suboxone, which oddly enough was a drug I had worked around for years as a veterinary technician (buprenorphine). I didn't quite know what suboxone would do for me, but I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did.

Suboxone gave me my life back; I started taking it that very evening, on 10/04/2012, and I have not felt the need to use drugs since. I just take two strips a day, and the formerly insatiable urge to use is gone. It is amazing; I have used this last year to re-enroll at a local 4 year university in order to finish my B.S. in Bio. I also managed to obtain another job at a local veterinary hospital, working as an ICU vet tech. Suboxone literally stops the cravings in their tracks, and grants me the capability to live as a normal human again. Today I live with Dignity again! No more needles or robberies, no more sticking my arm, no more stealing from my loved ones, no more hurting my friends and family; today I get to live with FREEDOM, and it is so amazing. Suboxone didn't take away all the symptoms of my addiction; I still attend NA meetings at least 3-4 times a week, so that I may better learn how to live with spiritual principles. But it has taken away the need to use drugs. I am so thankful. Over this past year, I was highly discouraged regarding making an attempt at getting into medical school; while my criminal record is nearly nonexistent (2 public intoxication citations), my GPA is around a 3.0 with an even lower science GPA (2.8). In addition, I took my first MCAT high on lorazepam and wound up with a 15. I honestly was not even going to waste my time applying. But this past week I had somebody important to me tell me I should go through with it; she is a friend that knew me from my using days, one that has been a constant support though my darkest periods. She said that I should apply, and lately some of the signs in my life have pointed to me needing to at least try. So I am going to. My questions are numerous.

I want to do this with the intention of either going into psych or any kind of specialty that treats those dealing with the problems i've faced. I think having a doctor that has FELT addiction is so important when treating an addict, and I really want to help addicts. I know my chances are slim but I have to at least apply to one school. I was thinking UNT Health Science Center in Ft. Worth. I mean, today I am a very spiritual person due to the path I've traveled, and I do believe that if it is my Higher Power's plan for me then I just need to do the footwork (apply) and the rest will be taken care of by God. I have 33 hours left to obtain my degree, and am taking 14 this semester. Again, my GPA is a 3.0 overall with a 2.8 science. EC's consist of tango dancing, NA meetings, working 40 hours per week as a vet tech, teching for the humane society, playing playstation, and a few other things. I've maybe shadowed for around 40 hours (a primary care doc), but I really can't get a letter of rec from him as I tried to forge a script under his name (and got caught doing so). My criminal record contains 2 misdemeanor public intox tickets, along with MHMR records (mental health/mental ******ation). I'm willing to apply/go anywhere someone thinks I may have a shot. I know I will probably have some people say I am a troll, or that I'm an idiot and a bad person, and thats okay. I have the medical bills, rehab discharge papers, NA keytags and basic text, all the things I need to prove its real to anyone of any importance. If anybody is willing to dispense some advice, it would be greatly appreciated (sorry this was so long, but it felt good to get this off my shoulders).

BB

Members don't see this ad.

Let me start off by saying that you are by no means an idiot or a bad person. You made mistakes, and you recognized and admitted to those mistakes. That's much more than some people choose to do.

As I'm sure you know, there is a lot to addiction that lies in the cards of your genes. I can't even begin to imagine what it has been like for you. It would be easy for people to say that you had simple choices, and you made quite a few of the wrong ones. But, for many, myself included, these choices aren't an internal battle like it has been for you. I'm sorry you've had to deal with these inner demons from a young age and for so long.

That said, I have to be honest with you. At this point, it will be nearly impossible for you to get into medical school. There are way to many red flags to overlook. I know this advice may be disappointing, but I don't want you to take it as the end.

You've learned a lot about yourself these past couple of years. It's admirable that you wish to help others who face the same problems you have. You don't need to be a doctor to do that. Recognize that you have a unique insight into a world few others understand. You can use that strength to help others struggling with addiction. Sometimes, words and a simple presence are the strongest medicine of all. No degree in the world can give you that wisdom.

I wish you the best of luck. Continue to use your strengths and insights to make a difference.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey ya'll,

So the thread title should tell you just about all you need to know; I am currently a senior attending a local university, and drug abuse was a HUGE problem in my life from around the age of 15 on. Fifteen was when I first began experimenting, and from the very first time I felt the effects of intoxication, I knew I loved it. I still vividly remember the very first time; discovering that one can change the way they feel with just a hand full of pills was a very astounding and life altering discovery for me. By the age of 16, I was already sitting in a drug rehabilitation center for teens; it was at this point in time that I decided to become a doctor. I made that decision for all the wrong reasons; specifically, so that I would have free access to narcotics, or so I thought. But what started in jest has developed into a multi year chase of a dream that, while initially for all the wrong reasons, has become about helping my fellow brothers and sisters that suffer from the disease of addiction in the way I have.

You see, addiction takes away your dignity. In 2011, I wound up in the emergency room 11 times due to seizures, overdoses, and car wrecks, all because I could not get the idea of one more high out of my head. I wound up visiting a total of 5 different psychiatric wards, where I saw many a degrading thing happen to those suffering from mental illness. I even got so desperate to stay high that, during a stay in Acadia psychiatric hospital in Abilene, I attempted to cut my finger off with a plastic butter knife in hopes of obtaining a days worth of pain medication. This was the same hospital at which, during a stay 2 weeks earlier, I had punched cement walls with my fist in hopes that the staff would be forced to administer an intramuscular valium injection to me; they gave me the valium the first few times, but soon caught on to my drug seeking ways. There was no dignity in this life, and sadly these are just sampling of the awful agony addiction brought me though. I made my own choices (at the age of 15, but they were still my choices), and I've had to suffer the consequences as a result.

But anyway, back to the topic, I developed the dream of becoming a doctor at 15. Drug abuse soon landed me in front of many a physician, though it took over 9 years before one would be able to find something that actually helped me. In fact, during a brief ICU stay at Hendrix Medical Center in Abilene, I became so desperate for a head change that I broke into the ER's crash cart and began shooting epinephrine. The physician became so enraged, and understandably so. It was so hard trying to explain to these intelligent and logical doctors why I was doing what I was doing; I am sure it made no sense, but to me it felt as though there was a gun to my head demanding that I get high in whatever way I could. In truth, i've used needles to shoot drugs, I've committed robbery, lied, manipulated, forged, snorted, smoked, and done about anything and everything that one should not do. My late teens and early 20's were a terribly confusing time.

The midst of this confusing fog found me at the University of Arkansas, where I studied for a B.S. in bio from my freshmen year onto the start of my senior. I maintained a 3.0, with a science around a 2.8, while working full time as a veterinary technician in a local ICU. I shadowed a local physican, but spent the majority of my extra time high on various drugs. In the early years much of my drug abuse arose from within the veterinary industry; I worked closely with controlled substances, and having been so young I did not fully understand the potential implications of my decision to abuse illicit substances. Warning signs abounded; nearly half of my extended family suffers from alcoholism or drug addiction. Yet, I ignored these signs and found myself in a progressive cycle of increasing abuse. I managed to maintain a job and at least decent grades all the way through my junior year at Arkansas, but by the start of my senior year I was far too hooked to maintain anything resembling an independent existence. Less than one week after arriving back at Arkansas for the start of my senior year, I was caught by the local police forging prescriptions at a local mom and pop pharmacy. By the grace of something greater than I, I was released with a public intox ticket. This incident is just another in a long line; repeatedly I would get myself into terrible situations though the pursuit of drugs, and repeatedly I would wind up coming out the other side unharmed.

But by the start of my senior year, the pursuit of staying high had taken a severe toll on me. After being transported to a local hospital in Fayetteville, I was forced to attend a detox/rehab program in exchange for not having the forgery charges brought against me. I obliged quickly, and soon was in Texas (my home state) attending a drug detox program. This was the start of institutions for me. Narcotics Anonymous says there are three ends for the using addict, either jails or institutions of death. Well, over the next couple of years I wound up sitting inside several institutions, and at least a couple of jail cells, and I came very close to death as well. I eventually gave up on my dream of becoming a physician; with every failed attempt to go back to school, along with every failed attempt to stay clean, I lost a little more hope. On 7/30/12, I hit what I view as my rock bottom, the point in time where the pain became too great. It was my birthday, and the same day that I was discharged from my first visit to Acadia Psychiatric Hospital in Abilene. I left the hospital with no money, no phone, no friends, a family that would not talk to me, and no home. Addiction had finally driven me to a point of pain that was simply too great to endure. I had to stay in a homeless shelter that the hospital operated, which was stuffed full with other patients that were suffering from the daemons I myself could not get rid of. I immediately ran to the local pharmacy and got high; initially guzzling cough syrup (it was all I had), then downing an entire bottle of strattera, followed with an entire bottle of seroquel. In short, this was my first and only suicide attempt. I came back to the homeless shelter and waited. I waited for hours. I waited for death.

But death is a very scary thing. After about an hour of waiting to die following ingestion of all the aforementioned pills, I began to feel periods of brady and tachycardia in my chest accompanied by severe visual hallucinations. Feeling weak, I knew I was going to die soon. I got up and managed to get help by walking around 50 yards to the front of the hospital; I was so weak, I had to do this about 5-10 yards at a time, as I would get so tired I would be forced to lay down in the grass and rest after traveling just a few feet. I decided to get up because I was so terrified of dying; truth be told i was terrified of living as well, but I felt I had to go on. And so I did. Around the time EMS arrived, I could no longer hold my eyes open. I drifted into unconsciousness. I woke up around 36 hours later hearing the strangest noise; it was a nurse crying by my bedside. I remember her saying "Blake, you have to fight your daemons, you have to keep fighting". I did not know this nurse, and to the best of my knowledge had not met her before. This, overall, was the darkest point in my addiction. It was my rock bottom; little did I know that the night truly does get the darkest before the dawn.

I was discharged from the ICU back to the psychiatric ward; I spent another two weeks there before being bounced around to two more rehabs and two more psychiatric wards. Finally I wound up at Red River Recovery Center in Wichita Falls, TX. Now, prior to arriving here, I had been kicked out of the Serenity House Rehab in Abilene for attempting to break into their detox med room (I was trying to steal their detox meds in order to get high). They had caught me, and subsequently sent me to Acadia. But upon arriving at Red River, I immediately began contemplating robbing their med room, even though I had been caught doing the same thing just weeks before (and had no where to go if caught). This is the insanity of drug addiction; even though you know bad things will result, you can not fight off the urge to get high, no matter the consequences. Well, anyway, I arrived at Red River and began having thoughts of stealing the meds from the pharmacy. I told this to the doctor there; he was an older and kindly gentlemen, a rarity for a practicing drug addict to run into. He listened to my plan; I would pull the fire alarm and hide while I waited for everyone to leave the building, then kick in the med room door and steal everything that could be abused. He listened to my insanity and, apparently FINALLY understanding the hell I was in, actually did something to help me. He prescribed me a drug I'd never heard of before, suboxone, which oddly enough was a drug I had worked around for years as a veterinary technician (buprenorphine). I didn't quite know what suboxone would do for me, but I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did.

Suboxone gave me my life back; I started taking it that very evening, on 10/04/2012, and I have not felt the need to use drugs since. I just take two strips a day, and the formerly insatiable urge to use is gone. It is amazing; I have used this last year to re-enroll at a local 4 year university in order to finish my B.S. in Bio. I also managed to obtain another job at a local veterinary hospital, working as an ICU vet tech. Suboxone literally stops the cravings in their tracks, and grants me the capability to live as a normal human again. Today I live with Dignity again! No more needles or robberies, no more sticking my arm, no more stealing from my loved ones, no more hurting my friends and family; today I get to live with FREEDOM, and it is so amazing. Suboxone didn't take away all the symptoms of my addiction; I still attend NA meetings at least 3-4 times a week, so that I may better learn how to live with spiritual principles. But it has taken away the need to use drugs. I am so thankful. Over this past year, I was highly discouraged regarding making an attempt at getting into medical school; while my criminal record is nearly nonexistent (2 public intoxication citations), my GPA is around a 3.0 with an even lower science GPA (2.8). In addition, I took my first MCAT high on lorazepam and wound up with a 15. I honestly was not even going to waste my time applying. But this past week I had somebody important to me tell me I should go through with it; she is a friend that knew me from my using days, one that has been a constant support though my darkest periods. She said that I should apply, and lately some of the signs in my life have pointed to me needing to at least try. So I am going to. My questions are numerous.

I want to do this with the intention of either going into psych or any kind of specialty that treats those dealing with the problems i've faced. I think having a doctor that has FELT addiction is so important when treating an addict, and I really want to help addicts. I know my chances are slim but I have to at least apply to one school. I was thinking UNT Health Science Center in Ft. Worth. I mean, today I am a very spiritual person due to the path I've traveled, and I do believe that if it is my Higher Power's plan for me then I just need to do the footwork (apply) and the rest will be taken care of by God. I have 33 hours left to obtain my degree, and am taking 14 this semester. Again, my GPA is a 3.0 overall with a 2.8 science. EC's consist of tango dancing, NA meetings, working 40 hours per week as a vet tech, teching for the humane society, playing playstation, and a few other things. I've maybe shadowed for around 40 hours (a primary care doc), but I really can't get a letter of rec from him as I tried to forge a script under his name (and got caught doing so). My criminal record contains 2 misdemeanor public intox tickets, along with MHMR records (mental health/mental ******ation). I'm willing to apply/go anywhere someone thinks I may have a shot. I know I will probably have some people say I am a troll, or that I'm an idiot and a bad person, and thats okay. I have the medical bills, rehab discharge papers, NA keytags and basic text, all the things I need to prove its real to anyone of any importance. If anybody is willing to dispense some advice, it would be greatly appreciated (sorry this was so long, but it felt good to get this off my shoulders).

BB

You should let a few years pass before thinking about a healthcare profession. Your chances are nil at every school. Sorry to be blunt.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should stay clean for a few years before thinking about a healthcare profession. Sorry to be blunt.
I was thinking he should eventually aim for more of an addiction counselor role. The fact that there's a long history of drug abuse up until only about a year and a half ago as well as the prescription forgery will be extremely difficult for Adcoms to overlook.

As they often have easy access to medications, physicians have some of the highest rates of drug abuse in society. I've known a quite a few people in healthcare, some I would never have suspected in a million years, who stole and/or abused drugs. I'm afraid the likelihood of offending again would be great.

One doesn't need to be a doctor to make a difference in someone's life.

Reactions: 11 users
Your ability to admit to your faults and attempt to learn what you can from them is admirable.

That said, as someone who has a lot of experience with drug rehabilitation and has been affected by it very personally, I've got to be honest with you. You have a disease that you will never be rid of. You have a history of already crossing a MAJOR line and forging prescriptions. Some of the biggest opiate addicts never cross this line. This is a HUGE deal that you are capable of this. I know you might feel good now, but becoming a doctor will not end well for you, and quite honestly, I think it is a very cruel form of punishment you are inflicting on yourself to try and even work in a field where you have virtually unlimited access to drugs. You've already proven time and time again that you cannot handle yourself around prescription meds. You shouldn't be ashamed of that, because you've taken steps to better yourself, but you certainly need to do what you can to avoid situations where you could relapse. Recovery is a life long battle. It gets a bit easier, but it's never over. I hope you get that.

I also feel like it is worth pointing out that a new-found suboxone dependence is not something most adcoms who are actual medical doctors would look kindly on. Suboxone is still a very controversial drug in the rehabilitation world, and the fact that you are basically dependent on it is not something that is evidence of you being rehabilitated. Yes, it is great that you are off the hard stuff. But suboxone is something that very new clean addicts are on because they cannot handle withdrawals, so it is clear that you are certainly not out of the woods yet with your addiction. Suboxone is also VERY easily abused, so please be careful. It is also a controlled substance on the same level as vicodin/norco/etc., so just keep that in mind.

One more thing. You do not need to be a medical doctor in order to help others with addiction. In fact, if helping others with addiction is your passion, I would highly recommend not pursuing a medical degree (that goes for anyone). Look into social work or counseling, or being a therapist. These are all fields that welcome people with a past. You will have no problem getting into a great school and getting a top-notch education in any of these fields, even if you lay your past out on the table.

Good luck with everything. I really really do hope that you can continue doing well in your recovery!

Reactions: 4 users
Again, my GPA is a 3.0 overall with a 2.8 science. EC's consist of tango dancing, NA meetings, working 40 hours per week as a vet tech, teching for the humane society, playing playstation, and a few other things. I've maybe shadowed for around 40 hours (a primary care doc), but I really can't get a letter of rec from him as I tried to forge a script under his name (and got caught doing so). My criminal record contains 2 misdemeanor public intox tickets, along with MHMR records (mental health/mental ******ation).

BB

1. Your GPA is repairable. If you retake those science courses in which you received a C+ or lower, you can boost your GPA tremendously in just 1-2 semesters. If you can get it to a 3.2 overall and 3.2 science you're fine. Please see AACOMAS policy on grade forgiveness for DO schools.

2. Your MCAT of 15 is not good enough. You want your MCAT to be a minimum of a 26 (9 PS 8 VR 9 BS for example) and you'll be fine if you apply to the newer DO schools coupled with a 3.2 gpa.

3. Your EC's are good since you've shadowed, and as a vet tech you have somewhat clinical experience, but you should volunteer in a human hospital to make it more legit. Tango dancing is unique so that helps. Whatever you do, DO NOT say you play playstation. They only want to see community service, leadership skills, research (optional), shadowing and clinical experience. Your tango dancing should only be included if it was like formal dance competition or something substantial. Otherwise, it goes under hobbies IF they ask for it on an application.

4. I figured that by the time you started shadowing a doctor, that you would've learned your lesson about the importance of good behavior and staying clean. You forged a prescription post-rehabilitation, which means you're still not O.K. You need to see a therapist.

5. I am not sure how lenient medical schools are with 2 misdemeanor public intox tickets and your MHMR records. We don't know the full story or what is included in any of those files to tell you if its something medical schools are willing to forgive. A school that grants physician degrees to rehabilitated drug addicts, knows its playing with fire. As a doctor you are autonomous and given free reign and you don't want to be 300k in debt with a revoked license because you decided to have a moment of weakness and do something stupid.

Listen, I will give you an advice from two sides. If you want to pursue this no matter what, you can retake your MCAT, boost your GPAs and boost your ECs and you can apply. Before you DO apply, I suggest you try to make an in-person appointment with the admissions dean of your local osteopathic medical school and really share you story and see what they say. On the other hand, I also do not feel that you should apply to medical school because honestly, its like a rehabilitated alcoholic wanting to work as a bartender. You just got away from substance abuse, why would you want to go to a profession where you are surrounded, dealing with legal drugs that can be addictive. Who's to say you won't be tempted to prescribe yourself narcotics or pain medicine and if caught, you'll get your license revoked. Then what?

There are different ways to help. You can get into psychology and be a psychotherapist and be able to work in rehab facilities and help those in need. It is still honorable. The fact that you almost have a 3.0 science gpa shows you are not dumb and are capable of doing it.

Reactions: 1 users
The fact that there's a long history of drug abuse up until only about a year and a half ago as well as the prescription forgery will be extremely difficult for Adcoms to overlook... I'm afraid the likelihood of offending again would be great.

Precisely. The relationship between stress and relapse risk has long been established. Med school is a huge stressor. Adcoms don't look kindly on applicants who confess to past drug abuse.

goro....goro.....goro.......................

I read about a guy who had a felony charge or something who got into a DO school. They really do look at the "whole" person, so if your grades/MCAT are good, I expect you to have a good chance.

Hey OP, sorry to hear you've gone through all that. Feeling like you have a gun to your head to get high must be a horrendous feeling. I'm glad to hear you've come to a point in your life where you have acknowledged your problems, work to fix them and are looking toward the future (by seeking a career). However, the truth is that based on your 2 criminal records, drug abuse history, which includes forgery, and your GPA, you are disqualified for any medical school in the country. Don't be lied to by people saying Osteopathic Medicine will take a chance with you because of their holistic approach because the truth is you've crossed a certain line where there is no coming back. The best you can do is find an alternative career, but be careful because even things like Clinical Psychology require a license. Consult an attorney before making any graduate school choices. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read about a guy who had a felony charge or something who got into a DO school. They really do look at the "whole" person, so if your grades/MCAT are good, I expect you to have a good chance.
I highly disagree. One thing that isn't taken lightly is drug problems. It creates such a liability for everyone involved. Hospitals and medical schools stand A LOT to lose if it becomes an issue, even the first time. Hospitals can lose certifications for lesser things than that.

You've earned your sobriety. I wish you the best there.
Bluntly speaking, you will NEVER obtain a DEA license to prescribe or handle controlled substances. I would in fact be very, very surprised if you were ever able to obtain a license to practice medicine with that many major offenses on your record. State medical licensing boards exist to "protect the public", and someone who has committed as many grievous errors as you have to feed your addiction is just too high-risk.
Find another way to be of use. I really do wish you continued success in living a full and healthy life.

Reactions: 1 user
Your problem isn't going to be with medical school, it's with the DEA. I highly doubt you would be allowed unlimited prescribing rights as a former drug abuser.

Have you considered clinical psych?

I'd say it completely depends on what the felony is

I think "former drug abuser" is a stretch. This person just took the MCAT high on lorazepam. They are clearly still balls deep in their addiction.

I think "former drug abuser" is a stretch. This person just took the MCAT high on lorazepam. They are clearly still balls deep in their addiction.

That's fair, I didn't see that part.

Getting into med school with a felony charge is different than getting into clin. rotations, or residencies or getting a license. You are 99.99% not going to get a medical license if you have a felony. Some misdemeanors are okay like DWI for example (depending on situation).

OP, if the only things on your legal record are two misdemeanors, then getting into med school is not impossible.

My advice is to take some time of and demonstrate 3-5 years of productive living free from any drug and legal issues. During this time period, continue your ECs and take additional courses to raise your GPA. You'll need to retake the MCAT, which will be the 2015 version.

I think you can definitely become a doctor (since you don't have a felony anywhere on your record), but you need to wait several years to sort things out.

Good luck!

Look... I understand people want to be supportive which is fine, but you can't ignore the reality of the situation.

The reality is that this person should not being going to medical school.

I know I may sound like a huge jerk to some by saying that, but medical school is not for everyone coming onto this site seeking advice. He would be wasting his time applying. This isn't something like a simple grade fix.

Regardless of what the criminal record states, think about this ethically.

The stressful environment and availability of drugs in medicine are just a terrible combination.

There are literally thousands of doctors who abuse drugs and alcohol, go into physician help programs, and eventually get their license back. With that being said, that is on the back end. I would advise speaking with an adcom about this issue. Congratulations on your sobriety, that is quite an accomplishment. I would try to get more sober time and apply. With that being said, I don't believe you would be able to practice medicine on subuxone. Best of luck.
AGSIII

100% agree. Sorry, OP, but I have clinician colleagues who would say "Over my dead body!" considering your possibility of attending our medical school.

Best to consider something else. Addiction counseling, perhaps?

You've earned your sobriety. I wish you the best there.
Bluntly speaking, you will NEVER obtain a DEA license to prescribe or handle controlled substances. I would in fact be very, very surprised if you were ever able to obtain a license to practice medicine with that many major offenses on your record. State medical licensing boards exist to "protect the public", and someone who has committed as many grievous errors as you have to feed your addiction is just too high-risk.
Find another way to be of use. I really do wish you continued success in living a full and healthy life.

I don't know why people keep repeating that hoax. Why would a med school or residency program accept a felon who has zero possibility of being able to practice? Texas will not grant a license to any applicant who has been convicted of ANY felony or a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, and will immediately revoke a physician's license upon conviction of such crimes. I'm sure other states have the same law on their books. It is mostly for that reason that med schools require a criminal background check on incoming students.

I don't know why people keep repeating that hoax. Why would a med school or residency program accept a felon who has zero possibility of being able to practice? Texas will not grant a license to any applicant who has been convicted of ANY felony or a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, and will immediately revoke a physician's license upon conviction of such crimes. I'm sure other states have the same law on their books. It is mostly for that reason that med schools require a criminal background check on incoming students.
I love that though... I read about a guy who had a felony or something. It's so vague. Even if it were true, I'm amazed people don't understand that to be the very rare exception to the rule. The fact is that not everyone is cut out for medical school. I love the analogy someone used earlier about how it's like a recovering alcoholic trying to be a bartender.

Osteopathic schools have grade forgiveness. I think that gives people the idea that they are forgiving in every other regard, too. Every medical school has a standard to uphold.

Why else would most of them be doing background checks and drug screens?

Currently in lecture, so I have not had a chance to go through all the replies thus far; what I've read to date has been very helpful though. I do agree with many of you in that my chances are slim, and that the practice of medicine is certainly not for everybody. While I currently work around controlled substances (as a veterinary technician, most class 2-5 compounds are kept on hand), but the only reason that works has been the result of the suboxone. I do understand today that I have a lifelong disease, and that it will never fully go away. If my hail marry attempt at applying does not work out, then I've thought of perhaps going to graduate school in hopes of working on the research side of addiction studies. Anyway, I will take a little more time to read though the replies soon; please keep the advice coming.

Sincerely,
BB

5 or 6 years ago, there was a former drug addict that became the valedictorian of UC Berkeley. He then went on medical school at UCSF. He must have graduated already, but I can't find any additional information on him by googling today. He's a huge inspiration.

Have you guys heard anything about him?

I know of no physicians that have gone down the path of hard drug use, but have met a lot of nurses over the years that "used" to have problems. Dated one that was a recovering heroin addict and new nurse. She quickly seemed to find every other addict she worked with, and they all collectively seemed to realize, "wait, we have money and all the clean needles we want, why not get high just once for old time's sake" and their addictions all started up again, just like that. I pretty much booked, because even though she seemed to be doing well and could handle doing drugs every once in a while, anyone who has ever dealt with addiction knows that it'll go someplace dark, given enough time. Amusing addendum: her nursing professor was an opiate addict who lost her license due to med diversion and took to teaching afterward.

Having a lot of money, stress, and access to pharmaceuticals WILL lead you to relapse. Do not become a physician, you'll be paving your own road to hell.

Clinical psych, addiction counseling, and social work would be very well suited careers that would not put you in a compromising position.

Also, so far as your chances.

They are zero. The reason for this is you have nothing that shows you are capable of medical school on your records, but many things that show you are not. If you retook a few classes and scored a 30+ I would upgrade your chances to "snowball's chance in hell, but still a very, very bad idea."

Having a lot of money, stress, and access to pharmaceuticals WILL lead you to relapse. Do not become a physician, you'll be paving your own road to hell.

Clinical psych, addiction counseling, and social work would be very well suited careers that would not put you in a compromising position.

I totally agree.

What hoax? You didn't hear Osama Bin Laden got his D.O. at Touro or LECOM or one of those post-9/11. Holistic care forgives everything. It's basically priesthood.

This might be my own ignorance, but I never understood why drug users need to get high. I know it's an addiction, and sometimes people are born into rough upbringings, but why must they take it to such extreme levels? Why do drug users (when they first started using), feel the need to be "high?"
I had friends in college who have smoked weed and done molly (and sometimes coke), and some of them are in med school or law school. I'm not applauding their actions, but at least they found a way to control their urges and played it safe (relatively speaking - as in, they didn't take it to the next level by experimenting with methamphetamines, etc.). For most drug addicts, why was weed or molly not enough (like for normal teens/college kids)? What makes someone say..."you know what, crystal meth, krocodile or heroin might give me the edge I need."

I should've taken a psych or soc class on this during my undergrad years, but I thought it was too boring at the time.

This might be my own ignorance, but I never understood why drug users need to get high. I know it's an addiction, and sometimes people are born into rough upbringings, but why must they take it to such extreme levels? Why do drug users (when they first started using), feel the need to be "high?"
I had friends in college who have smoked weed and done molly (and sometimes coke), and some of them are in med school or law school. I'm not applauding their actions, but at least they found a way to control their urges and played it safe (relatively speaking - as in, they didn't take it to the next level by experimenting with methamphetamines, etc.). For most drug addicts, why was weed or molly not enough (like for normal teens/college kids)? What makes someone say..."you know what, crystal meth, krocodile or heroin might give me the edge I need."

I should've taken a psych or soc class on this during my undergrad years, but I thought it was too boring at the time.

There's the environmental factors you talk about, and plain ol' genetics. Some people's biochemistry is programmed to be more susceptible to addiction - they have chronically low levels of the pleasant neurotransmitters, and an exaggerated response to drugs that promote them so it's extra-rewarding. My addiction med prof went so far as to say 'don't prescribe benzos to the daughters of alcoholics - they'll like the effect too much'. In other cases it's self-medication - I know of a person with ADHD who, before diagnosis, was taking enough caffeine per day to land in the ER because the stimulant effect helped them concentrate. Lots of factors play in, which is why it can be so tough to treat.

Sidenote: I would consider popping mollies a lot bigger deal than smoking weed. Am I the only one?

Sidenote: I would consider popping mollies a lot bigger deal than smoking weed. Am I the only one?

Kinda, depends how how much and how often you do it. It's common for college kids these days, especially those that go to EDM festivals.

There's the environmental factors you talk about, and plain ol' genetics. Some people's biochemistry is programmed to be more susceptible to addiction - they have chronically low levels of the pleasant neurotransmitters, and an exaggerated response to drugs that promote them so it's extra-rewarding. My addiction med prof went so far as to say 'don't prescribe benzos to the daughters of alcoholics - they'll like the effect too much'. In other cases it's self-medication - I know of a person with ADHD who, before diagnosis, was taking enough caffeine per day to land in the ER because the stimulant effect helped them concentrate. Lots of factors play in, which is why it can be so tough to treat.

Thanks for the insight. To my mistake, I took very little psych and soc courses. I could've definitely taken a lot more than I did to broaden my knowledge of behavioral science. I guess I was too focused on biology

The college I started out at was very drug friendly so I've been around it plenty, I just put weed on a whole different category than other drugs.

He has been convicted of no felonies, and generally public intoxication is not considered a crime of moral turpitude. He got lucky, in that he was never convicted of possession, which WOULD bar him from obtaining a license. Intoxication, however, does not. His psychiatric history would be more concerning and may prevent licensure or board certification.

http://www.myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/Opinions/17FFBD8C3EFF24FF852566B7006658AD

It's a site with an explanation of Florida law, but the same generally holds true in most states. DUIs, public intoxication, etc, will generally not prevent you from obtaining professional licensure unless there are additional circumstances involved. Staggering drunk in public and get arrested? You'll get your license someday. High on PCP and tossing puppies off an overpass because they are the spawn of Satan? Prolly not getting that license anytime soon.

What are mollies?
Pure MDMA. Which I only know because evidently I look like a drug dealer- every time I go anywhere where music is playing everyone is always asking me if I've seen Molly or know where she is.

If someone is doing it once every few weeks it isn't so bad. The trouble is a lot of people go overboard with MDMA and take it for days on end, after which the refractory period makes them horribly depressed, sometimes suicidally so. There's also some research that shows it has some degree of neurotoxicity, which marijuana does not have. So yeah, I would say it's a bigger deal and a worse drug for one to consume given the patter of many users, but at the same time, if done in moderation, it probably isn't any worse for a person.

Last edited:
Pure MDMA. Which I only know because evidently I look like a drug dealer- every time I go anywhere where music is playing everyone is always asking me if I've seen Molly or know where she is.

If someone is doing it once every few weeks it isn't so bad. The trouble is a lot of people go overboard with MDMA and take it for days on end, after which the refractory period makes them horribly depressed, sometimes suicidally so. There's also some research that shows it has some degree of neurotoxicity, which marijuana does not have. So yeah, I would say it's a bigger deal and a worse drug for one to consume given the patter of many users, but at the same time, if done in moderation, it probably isn't any worse for a person.
I think a lot of neurotoxic problems associated with MDMA users are due to taking it with alcohol/standing in high heat at a summer festival = burning up and dehydrated.

I think a lot of neurotoxic problems associated with MDMA users are due to taking it with alcohol/standing in high heat at a summer festival = burning up and dehydrated.
It is pretty cut and dry. I'm being lazy about this, admittedly, but here are a few bits on MDMA and neurotoxicity. The first one is a lab study of MDMA on cell cultures, the second is a guy basically saying that we don't need to do any more studies because every study that has been done using every methodology on even average users shows severe changes to 5-HT (SERT) transporter levels that are neurodegenerative in nature- I'm sure if you check his references you can find the relevant studies that have been done to death. The last one provided is just a simple study that shows even caffeine can significantly enhance the neurotoxicity of MDMA. Most people that are using MDMA probably also have caffeine on board, and worse yet, it is basically impossible to get pure MDMA anywhere in the country unless you make it yourself. With many drugs there isn't a whole hell of a lot of evidence for the long term harm of using them. Molly ain't one of those.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23194825
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22404300
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22671762

Even though I thankfully have no desire to do either of those, I consider molly a bigger deal as well. I have yet to hear of someone who died after smoking weed, but the number of molly-induced deaths seem to be on the rise in the news recently.

I know a number of people who have pretty much become dependent on it for the weekends - for them, popping mollies on Friday and Saturday nights has replaced drinking alcohol. Pretty scary, in my opinion.

While I currently work around controlled substances (as a veterinary technician, most class 2-5 compounds are kept on hand), but the only reason that works has been the result of the suboxone.

This makes me cringe. You should absolutely not be around controlled substances, much less schedule II medications (oxycodone, morphine, etc.). If the only thing keeping you from not jacking meds from your place of work is your suboxone prescription (an opiate used for pain, I might add), then I'd bet money you are going to steal medication from this vet, if you haven't already. Suboxone is not a long-term medication. Your doctor WILL cut you off before long. Then what are you going to do?

Pretty sure it has some bad effects when combined with SSRIs. The guy who lived in the dorm directly above me freshman year dealt x but refused to sell to anyone who took anti depressants

Thx to everyone for the replies thus far, I would say the majority have been helpful and insightful; ultimately I am going to apply, be honest and upfront about my past and my success with suboxone, and leave it in the hand's of the professionals (adcoms) along with my higher power (NA lingo for whatever deity one believes in). I do hope that, for the select few on here that appear to be harnessing some type of stereotypical viewpoint on the disease of addiction, this shows those of you whom will go on to be physicians the real side of addiction. I grew up in a suburban home where I was typically exposed to the usual portrayal of a drug addict; the purse snatching heroin junkie. Yet I grew older and soon found myself to be in a similar situation, having to experience just how wrong that stereotype really is on a firsthand basis. Future physicians, understand that addiction is an extremely complex disease; nobody WANTS to live the way I lived for all those years. I never woke up as a child and declared a desire to become a homeless, penniless, filthy addict; I made a bad choice at the age of 15 and from there things just sort of happened. In NA there is a sang that one will hear on a near daily basis; you are not responsible for your disease, but you are responsible for your recovery. I take this sang to heart, as I do not remember ever making a decision to become addicted, but now that I have this disease I am determined to do what I can to help both myself and other addicts live a life of dignity.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I once was hospitalized in Abilene following either an overdose, or some type of drug related incident. Either way, desperate for a head change, I broke into the crash cart and began shooting epinephrine. The nurses soon told the physician, and when he came in the room I was honestly scared at how angry he was with me. Today I wish I could find that physician and show him that, in fact, when I was offered a path out from the horrors of addiction, I took it. And not only did I choose to follow a different path, but have since strove to improve my life by enrolling back into school. And to be honest, that physician may not have even held any type of stigma against addicts; he may have just been angry that I was shooting epinephrine as his patient in his ICU (very understandable). I honestly would probably be furious if I was in that situation. But you all as doctors will encounter many addicts in this line of work; they will lie to you in an insatiable drive towards an addicts only goal, the getting and using and finding ways and means to get more drugs. But this is NOT the addicts fault. I still remember how awful it felt to walk into a store and feel like I had to steal something in order to further my habit; to literally feel as though a gun were pointed to the back of my head, demanding I rob or lie or steal or cheat in the name of one more high. Please, future doctors, have empathy for my brothers and sisters in addiction. It is a terrible plight, one I would wish on no being, and one that you may be able to improve in some way shape or form.

Anyway, I invite this discussion to go further. I feel it can only help our future doctors receive better insight into what I feel is perhaps the most complex human disease there is. If ya'll have any questions, throw them out there; if I had time to really right out what all happened to me through that period of time I feel it would probably astound most (some would not believe it, but that is okay). I was an atheist when it all started; by the time I woke up in a detox facility following my first serious month long bender, it was easy to believe. Ya'll are awesome though, thanks again!

BB

@bxb130530 let me ask you. How do you answer for being high during your MCAT and also when you (assuming it was also recent) attempted prescription forgery when you finished shadowing a doctor.

How are these examples of consistent improvement that can convince those that are listening that you indeed have redeemed your life and ready to attend medical school?

Also, being on the suboxne medication strips, it seems you depend on it to keep your addiction away, so using self-reflection, is your addiction truly gone or are you masking it with an alternative substitute? One thing is to beat the addiction, and another different thing is to divert your addictive cravings at other medications.

I'm asking in the most neutral, non-judgmental, fact-based possible way I can.

You're making a mistake by applying. Granted, admission may happen (very unlikely), you're setting yourself up for failure: high stress environment, nearly unlimited access to meds, availability of DEA numbers and Rx pads, etc. I'd say your chance of relapse is 90-100%.

I worked with patients on Suboxone as a 4th year. The majority of patients never came off two films a day. They couldn't do it. That's not saying you can't, but I am suspect now that it's only keeping your addiction at bay until it rears it's ugly head again.

I'd look into another career choice where temptation isn't so high.